PDA

View Full Version : Noisy A/C and Odd Noise at Start-up

G2FX2EX
05-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Has anyone noticed their A/C being relatively noisy...kind of like a low pitched whiny sound. I don;t expect it to be silent, but it is louder than and A/C I have had in past cars (been buying cars for 35 years).

Also, when I press the starter button, I hear a very brief, low kind of rubbing/grinding sound for a split second as the engine starts up. All accessories are off (yes, A/C is off...I always turn everything off before I turn the car off).

Thanks

f1dna
05-29-2008, 11:19 AM
When I first start my car it would "moan". :o (My G35 didn't make this sound.) The dealer said the starter was different with the EX so maybe that was it. This week when I returned for an oil change the "moan" seems to have stopped. :caged: They checked it on the computer but everything was normal. beats me

Tried
05-29-2008, 01:17 PM
I also heard this very short moan...maybe 1/2 second long right on startup.

I could only make it happen when I backed into a spot. When I pulled forward and parked it didn't happen. That leads me to believe it is something transmission related. Try pulling forward before you park and see if it still happens.

Opplock48
05-29-2008, 02:03 PM
I also heard this very short moan...maybe 1/2 second long right on startup.

I could only make it happen when I backed into a spot. When I pulled forward and parked it didn't happen. That leads me to believe it is something transmission related. Try pulling forward before you park and see if it still happens.

If it's heard on startup, it's fuel pump noise. Ask your dealer to replace it with the updated pump, #170401BA0B

G2FX2EX
05-30-2008, 02:47 PM
If it's heard on startup, it's fuel pump noise. Ask your dealer to replace it with the updated pump, #170401BA0B

It is a brief moaning kind of noise. It just started a couple of weeks ago. The fuel pump makes sense.

Is there a TSB for this?

Thanks

Opplock48
06-02-2008, 04:33 PM
It is a brief moaning kind of noise. It just started a couple of weeks ago. The fuel pump makes sense.

Is there a TSB for this?

Thanks

Yep, it's ITB08-025, issued 05/23.
Let us know how you make out with the dealer.

G2FX2EX
06-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Yep, it's ITB08-025, issued 05/23.
Let us know how you make out with the dealer.

I called to schedule a service appt. They weren't sure about the TSB...I gave him the part no. He was going to call back to let me know if it was available. That was early this morning. I never did hear back from him.

Opplock48
06-04-2008, 03:39 PM
I called to schedule a service appt. They weren't sure about the TSB...I gave him the part no. He was going to call back to let me know if it was available. That was early this morning. I never did hear back from him.

Great follow up dealer...and they wonder why people shop other brands, other dealers, etc.
Do you have another dealer that you could do business with? Either that, or get back on the phone to the service person you spoke with and remind him/her...strongly!

G2FX2EX
06-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Great follow up dealer...and they wonder why people shop other brands, other dealers, etc.
Do you have another dealer that you could do business with? Either that, or get back on the phone to the service person you spoke with and remind him/her...strongly!

I have been so busy at work this week, I hadn't had time to follow up, and he still hasn't called me back. This is my 3rd Infiniti, and I have always had disappointing experiences overall with service. I am in a city now with just 2 dealers, and this is my first service experience with this dealer. I have a Lexus too, and I have to say that my Lexus experiences are by far superior. They always roll out the red carpet.

Opplock48
06-06-2008, 04:19 PM
I have been so busy at work this week, I hadn't had time to follow up, and he still hasn't called me back. This is my 3rd Infiniti, and I have always had disappointing experiences overall with service. I am in a city now with just 2 dealers, and this is my first service experience with this dealer. I have a Lexus too, and I have to say that my Lexus experiences are by far superior. They always roll out the red carpet.

It's always frustrating to hear of a customer, especially a loyal one, being treated poorly. If that customer defects, then what? Where does the dealer go for buyers when they've alienated the very people they went into business to serve?
I could never understand that; considering the enormous cost of operating a dealer point you'd think they'd go to any length to keep someone coming back. Looking at the competitive automotive market today that's even more important.
Post your experience when you finally do get this resolved, OK?
Good luck-

JT4
06-06-2008, 06:06 PM
I seem to be having the same problem but it is not annoying me enough yet to go to the dealer but will likely do so soon.

G2FX2EX
06-07-2008, 02:57 PM
:(
It's always frustrating to hear of a customer, especially a loyal one, being treated poorly. If that customer defects, then what? Where does the dealer go for buyers when they've alienated the very people they went into business to serve?
I could never understand that; considering the enormous cost of operating a dealer point you'd think they'd go to any length to keep someone coming back. Looking at the competitive automotive market today that's even more important.
Post your experience when you finally do get this resolved, OK?
Good luck-

In the next install of "As the Fuel Pump Turns", I find myself calling the dealer on Thursday since I never heard back from them. It seems the original service rep not only failed to call me back, but he also failed to check on the availability of the part. I spoke to another service rep who apologized and said he would look to see if they had the part in stock and would call me back in 10-15 minutes. An hour and 10 minutes later, he calls back to say that the part is not in stock and is on back order. It should take a week to 10 days to get the part in once it's ordered.

It's not that the noise annoys me as much as wondering if the current pump is somehow faulty and might leave me stranded along side the road. :(

Let's see...I still have the letter from Infiniti offering $2000 to keep the car because of the phoney rollover sensor listed on the sticker price...or do I just turn the car back into the dealer and walk away from the lease? I am getting closer to the latter. My gearshift knob seems to be sticking and it is difficult to take it out of park...just another annoyance. I do love the concept of this vehicle. I am disappointed in the issues, what with the recall on the passenger side airbag and the other things, the list is adding up. The less than enthusiastic 'customer' service' is also making me uneasy. What to do...what to do?

LEXA
06-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Awww, don't leave us G2FX2EX. :(

Where are you? I think you are entitled to say which dealership is not treating its leaseholders well.

(If word gets around they're getting bad publicity online, it might finally force management in your town to get serious about customer relations.)

Hypothetical question: If you cancelled your lease on this one, would there be anything to stop you from releasing another EX either there or at the other dealership?

How long does the option of acting on their offer stand?

G2FX2EX
06-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I hadn't made my mind up yet. My experience tells me that dealers do not change. I have feedback from some others in my area on the 2 existing dealerships, and all the feedback on my dealership has been negative. Besides, if a dealership is not aware that they are running a sloppy shop, then they are obviously not doing anything already to track their performance. My feedback to them would be meaningless.

If I walked away from the lease, I wouldn't be interested in leasing another one...what would be the point?

Opplock48
06-10-2008, 12:10 PM
:(

In the next install of "As the Fuel Pump Turns", I find myself calling the dealer on Thursday since I never heard back from them. It seems the original service rep not only failed to call me back, but he also failed to check on the availability of the part. I spoke to another service rep who apologized and said he would look to see if they had the part in stock and would call me back in 10-15 minutes. An hour and 10 minutes later, he calls back to say that the part is not in stock and is on back order. It should take a week to 10 days to get the part in once it's ordered.

It's not that the noise annoys me as much as wondering if the current pump is somehow faulty and might leave me stranded along side the road. :(

Let's see...I still have the letter from Infiniti offering $2000 to keep the car because of the phoney rollover sensor listed on the sticker price...or do I just turn the car back into the dealer and walk away from the lease? I am getting closer to the latter. My gearshift knob seems to be sticking and it is difficult to take it out of park...just another annoyance. I do love the concept of this vehicle. I am disappointed in the issues, what with the recall on the passenger side airbag and the other things, the list is adding up. The less than enthusiastic 'customer' service' is also making me uneasy. What to do...what to do?

The pump won't fail, despite the noise. It's a vibration-related noise, not a sign of impending failure. The noise will drive you nuts though...
As to the gearshift knob, ask the dealer (!) to check the solenoid that releases the lock when depressing the brake pedal. Several EXs and some Gs have the same issue so the dealer should (there's the "D" word again) know about it. We'd hate to see you go G2FX2EX, as another poster here on the forum has already said....

G2FX2EX
06-12-2008, 09:55 AM
The pump won't fail, despite the noise. It's a vibration-related noise, not a sign of impending failure. The noise will drive you nuts though...
As to the gearshift knob, ask the dealer (!) to check the solenoid that releases the lock when depressing the brake pedal. Several EXs and some Gs have the same issue so the dealer should (there's the "D" word again) know about it. We'd hate to see you go G2FX2EX, as another poster here on the forum has already said....

Thanks for the advice on the solenoid and the kind words. I still haven't made up my mind. My problem is that I am not sure what vehcile I would migrate too if I left the EX. the only thing I have thought of is the Lexus RX, but I have had one as a loaner when taking my GS in for service, and the torgue is just not there...plus the new model will be out next year.

I will mention the solenoid to them at the dealership. I haven't heard back yet on the fuel pump.

Opplock48
06-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the advice on the solenoid and the kind words. I still haven't made up my mind. My problem is that I am not sure what vehcile I would migrate too if I left the EX. the only thing I have thought of is the Lexus RX, but I have had one as a loaner when taking my GS in for service, and the torgue is just not there...plus the new model will be out next year.

I will mention the solenoid to them at the dealership. I haven't heard back yet on the fuel pump.

Torque feel is not all the RX lacks. I'd say any semblance of life is another. It has to be one of the most anesthetized, appliance-like vehicles I've ever driven (like virtually every Lexus). No engine sound, dead steering feel, same-day turn-in response, etc. At least the EX hasn't filtered out everything, to its credit.
In any case, we hope you stick around!

G2FX2EX
06-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Torque feel is not all the RX lacks. I'd say any semblance of life is another. It has to be one of the most anesthetized, appliance-like vehicles I've ever driven (like virtually every Lexus). No engine sound, dead steering feel, same-day turn-in response, etc. At least the EX hasn't filtered out everything, to its credit.
In any case, we hope you stick around!

Believe me, I hear ya. I love my GS though...since virtaully all my driving is cit driving, it is great for that.

I will probably keep the EX for all I need to drive it anyway. It's 6 months now and I just turned over 3K miles.

EXceptional Woman
06-13-2008, 05:28 PM
I just started hearing the noise on mine as well. This forum is so great, otherwise I would not have known what the noise was all about. It helps to have some idea before arriving at the dealer.

Just some questions to clarify, the noise is definitely linked to the A/C because I only hear it when the air is on. Yet it sounds like it is also tied into the acceleration. I feel like I'm driving a 4 cylinder and the sound gets louder as I accelerate, then gets lower when the transmission shifts. Is this what you all are experiencing as well?

Also it is odd that it only started happening when it got really hot here. We had a heat wave last week in the Northeast, at least 4 days over 90 degrees.

G2FX2EX
06-13-2008, 06:20 PM
I just started hearing the noise on mine as well. This forum is so great, otherwise I would not have known what the noise was all about. It helps to have some idea before arriving at the dealer.

Just some questions to clarify, the noise is definitely linked to the A/C because I only hear it when the air is on. Yet it sounds like it is also tied into the acceleration. I feel like I'm driving a 4 cylinder and the sound gets louder as I accelerate, then gets lower when the transmission shifts. Is this what you all are experiencing as well?

Also it is odd that it only started happening when it got really hot here. We had a heat wave last week in the Northeast, at least 4 days over 90 degrees.

Yes...the hotter, the noisier. We had about 9 days of over 90, and a few at 100, so it was loud. When I had my '03G,there was a TSB for an A/C noise. but I forget what they replaced. It also drained power.

I just wonder why Infiniti seems to be getting the same things wrong all the time. The next thing will be the 'rocking' drivers seat that so many of us experienced on the G and the FX, and I think some people had the problem with the Murano.

G2FX2EX
06-23-2008, 09:55 AM
FINALLY...the fuel pump arrived at the dealer. They never called me...I called them. Here is how the conversation went:

Me: I am calling to find out if the fuel pump I ordered has come in yet so that I can schedule a service appointment.
Serv Guy: I am sure it did, when would u like to bring your car in.
Me: Can you check to see if it's come in?
Serv Guy: I am sure it did. They usually come in overnight.
Me: No, when I called originally, I was told the part was on back-order and that it would take 7-10 days to arrive. It is now day 11.
Serv Guy: Let me transfer you to parts and they can check:
***Transfer***
Me: I am calling to see if the Fuel Pump for my EX35 has come in yet.
Parts Guy: Let me run upstairs to see.
***5 min later***
Parts Guy: Sir, yes it has.
Me: OK, please transfer me back to the Service Department so that I can schedule my appoint ment.
Parts Guy: Sure...beeeeeeppppp...***Click, Disconnect, Dial Tone***
Me: Call back and to talk to serv dept and schedule appointment...but it had to be on a week day because they 'don't do that kind of work on Staturdays'...only oil changes, etc.

Anyway...got it installed and it seems to be working like a charm...no more 'moaning' noise. I also got the oil changed and the software upgrade for the passenger side airbag recall too.

I had an '07 G35 loaner. It was filthy inside and out...and smelled like cigarette smoke...BLEH!...even though there are stickers on the windows telling people not to smoke. Also, driving the G felt like I was riding literally on the road...I was tossed about the cabin and it felt like I would fly out of the rock hard seats had it not been for the seat belt. The seats are definitely 100% better than in the G, and the ride wins handsdown.

Opplock48
07-02-2008, 12:18 PM
FINALLY...the fuel pump arrived at the dealer. They never called me...I called them. Here is how the conversation went:

Me: I am calling to find out if the fuel pump I ordered has come in yet so that I can schedule a service appointment.
Serv Guy: I am sure it did, when would u like to bring your car in.
Me: Can you check to see if it's come in?
Serv Guy: I am sure it did. They usually come in overnight.
Me: No, when I called originally, I was told the part was on back-order and that it would take 7-10 days to arrive. It is now day 11.
Serv Guy: Let me transfer you to parts and they can check:
***Transfer***
Me: I am calling to see if the Fuel Pump for my EX35 has come in yet.
Parts Guy: Let me run upstairs to see.
***5 min later***
Parts Guy: Sir, yes it has.
Me: OK, please transfer me back to the Service Department so that I can schedule my appoint ment.
Parts Guy: Sure...beeeeeeppppp...***Click, Disconnect, Dial Tone***
Me: Call back and to talk to serv dept and schedule appointment...but it had to be on a week day because they 'don't do that kind of work on Staturdays'...only oil changes, etc.

Anyway...got it installed and it seems to be working like a charm...no more 'moaning' noise. I also got the oil changed and the software upgrade for the passenger side airbag recall too.

I had an '07 G35 loaner. It was filthy inside and out...and smelled like cigarette smoke...BLEH!...even though there are stickers on the windows telling people not to smoke. Also, driving the G felt like I was riding literally on the road...I was tossed about the cabin and it felt like I would fly out of the rock hard seats had it not been for the seat belt. The seats are definitely 100% better than in the G, and the ride wins handsdown.

Sounds like your dealer needs a refresher course in customer handling, and maybe even common sense while they're at it.
Glad to hear the noise issue is resolved! Also interesting are your comments on the G v EX ride, seats etc. There's some what thinks the EX suspension settings should also be used for the G base model, and then the current base G could be the "Sport" for those that want it. I agree with that--the EX has the best balance of ride/handling for the majority of drivers out there.

BKing
07-09-2008, 08:15 PM
My EX started the wierd noise with start up two weeks after purchase. I contacted my dealership and they had me bring it in right away. They said it was the fuel pump and gave me a loaner until they could get a replacement pump. 2 weeks later there was still no pump. Apparently, the fuel pumps were back ordered. The regional parts rep had to order a pump from Japan. It took about a week for it to come in. The pump was replaced and so far everything seems to be working perfectly!

f1dna
08-08-2008, 10:40 AM
My fuel pump was replaced yesterday and the "moan" at start up is gone:)

AWGD8
09-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Has anyone noticed their A/C being relatively noisy...kind of like a low pitched whiny sound. I don;t expect it to be silent, but it is louder than and A/C I have had in past cars (been buying cars for 35 years).

Also, when I press the starter button, I hear a very brief, low kind of rubbing/grinding sound for a split second as the engine starts up. All accessories are off (yes, A/C is off...I always turn everything off before I turn the car off).

Thanks

You sound like my mom. 50+ years old? hmmmm :D