PDA

View Full Version : sr20det O2 sensor

KenFuji
04-14-2002, 06:07 AM
hey guys

i think i finally found the problem of my idle or my "hunting" issue as i found out what it is called http://www.freshalloy.com/ i was going through the FSM procedure and what do you know step one: disconnect the o2 sensor does it go away? - yes.... that means something with the O2 sensor is not working.. could be harness, wire, connection or the o2 sensor. i'm lead to believe it is the O2 sensor itself because it got better when i disconnected it.... right??

ok i know the replacement O2 sensor is from a 87' turbo Z31 correct? i have called a couple of shops and have been quoted $75 for it... now is there a universal one i can get? or do i have to shell out $75?? on top of that they don't have it in stock.... do you think it would be chaeper from a nissan dealership?? any suggestions, other things i should check along with the o2..

thanks
ken

[ 04-14-2002, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: kenfuji ]

AZ_Dave
04-14-2002, 02:57 PM
ttt

That's cool that you found your problem...I probably need a new one as well.

mdsdm
04-14-2002, 03:26 PM
Autozone.com has an 87 Z31 turbo O2 sensor (bosch #13385) for about $66. Is this the sensor used in the S13 sr20det? I know the S14 SR is heated (at least 3 wire) and I doubt the 87 Z31 turbo had a heated O2 sensor.

KenFuji
04-14-2002, 09:40 PM
humm... i'm not sure.
on www.srswaps.com (http://www.srswaps.com) it did state it was a 87 300zx turbo O2 sensor. when i checked my plug today it was a 3 wire o2 sensor if i remeber correctly. can anyone else confirm this since i am aways from my car??

AZ_Dave
04-14-2002, 09:59 PM
Ken, I'll check out mine tomorrow...

I'm sort of mad at my car right now...the headlights are being GAAAAY. I broke the rod AGAIN, long story.

Dave

formulaJEREMY
04-14-2002, 10:06 PM
I read about the 87 300ZX O2 sensor before, so that's what I ordered for my SR. Turns out the O2 sensor looks identical but the plug was different (at least on mine it was.) I didn't really have time to mess around looking for one with the right plug, so I just ended up slicing the old plug to the new sensor.

Bosch sells universal O2 sensors, but I couldn't find one with the 3 wires like the SR one. The 87 300ZX sensor had the correct wires though (same color and same order) so I wired it up and it has worked fine.

KenFuji
04-14-2002, 10:17 PM
thanks s13 disciple i will splice mine up http://www.freshalloy.com/

it was black/red/white if i remeber correctly.. don't know about the exact order, but that helps a lot thanks

ken

AZ_Dave
04-14-2002, 10:20 PM
Ken, just to let you know...when you splice the wires up, be sure to twist the O2 sensor CCW a few times before screwing it into the manifold...that way you don't get the wire all twisted permanently.

Dave

formulaJEREMY
04-14-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Inept Drifter:
Ken, just to let you know...when you splice the wires up, be sure to twist the O2 sensor CCW a few times before screwing it into the manifold...that way you don't get the wire all twisted permanently.

Dave<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I see what you are saying, but actually I soldered on the old SR O2 sensor plud to the new sensor. No twisted mess!

**DONOTDELETE**
04-14-2002, 11:27 PM
I just had this problem with my O2 sensor about two weeks ago, thing was I didn't notice any difference in my idling. from what I know about cars and oxygen sensor shouldn't have anything to do with the idle controlling of the car. Perhaps a 'check engine' light might arrear, but thats about it. A lot of race car drivers that use high octane fuel don't even run an O2 sensor, but if your cars idle is complaining hehe, then i don't know what to tell you.

Anyways, I didn't even notice anything wrong with the car until I went to go check out my oil and I noticed the 3 wires (black, white, and green I believe) were ripped out of the sensor it self. I went all over, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Kragen, couldn't find an exact discription. So I finally just pulled out the sensor from the engine, took it to the Nissan dealership and the guy that works in the Parts department was way cool with me, he braught out like 4 different O2 sensors and we matched the right one, and it worked.

Now, my advice to you is watch out because the head of the senor on the bottom end of it, from your motor is small, all those Pep Boys, Auto Zone etc.. etc shops were trying to sell me the BOSH O2 sensor too, and luckfully they had it in stock, so they let me open it up, I pulled it out, and matched it to the one from the sr20 motor, and that BOSH head is WAY too big than the sr20 one, it wonl't even fit in to the hole. So scratch the idea about the bosh o2 sensor.

Only thing I can say was I'm planning on keeping this motor for quite some time, my O2 sensor from the dealership costed me $100, but you get for what you pay.

Oh, another thing, since this part is considered "eletrical" from the Nissan dealership, you cannot return it, so better make sure you get the right one.

-daniel

AZ_Dave
04-14-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by obsolete:
A lot of race car drivers that use high octane fuel don't even run an O2 sensor, but if your cars idle is complaining hehe, then i don't know what to tell you.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]That's because O2 sensors tune A/F ratio at low RPM's...it isn't used at WOT, so racecar drivers don't need them...they would just get burned up by the racegas anyways.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-14-2002, 11:49 PM
I just had this problem with my O2 sensor about two weeks ago, thing was I didn't notice any difference in my idling. from what I know about cars and oxygen sensor shouldn't have anything to do with the idle controlling of the car. Perhaps a 'check engine' light might arrear, but thats about it. A lot of race car drivers that use high octane fuel don't even run an O2 sensor, but if your cars idle is complaining hehe, then i don't know what to tell you.

Anyways, I didn't even notice anything wrong with the car until I went to go check out my oil and I noticed the 3 wires (black, white, and green I believe) were ripped out of the sensor it self. I went all over, Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Kragen, couldn't find an exact discription. So I finally just pulled out the sensor from the engine, took it to the Nissan dealership and the guy that works in the Parts department was way cool with me, he braught out like 4 different O2 sensors and we matched the right one, and it worked.

Now, my advice to you is watch out because the head of the senor on the bottom end of it, from your motor is small, all those Pep Boys, Auto Zone etc.. etc shops were trying to sell me the BOSH O2 sensor too, and luckfully they had it in stock, so they let me open it up, I pulled it out, and matched it to the one from the sr20 motor, and that BOSH head is WAY too big than the sr20 one, it wonl't even fit in to the hole. So scratch the idea about the bosh o2 sensor.

Only thing I can say was I'm planning on keeping this motor for quite some time, my O2 sensor from the dealership costed me $100, but you get for what you pay.

Oh, another thing, since this part is considered "eletrical" from the Nissan dealership, you cannot return it, so better make sure you get the right one.

-daniel<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]follow up: I checked out my O2 sensor right now the color stripe is Red, White, and Black.

04-15-2002, 07:18 AM
A lot of race car drivers that use high octane fuel don't even run an O2 sensor
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]That's because a lot of high-octane fuel is leaded, and leaded fuel will kill an O2 sensor.

That said, the O2 sensor in street cars is mainly for emissions and fuel economy purposes.

Asad

JDMRICE
04-15-2002, 07:24 AM
ok, so does anyone know the o2 sensor difference in between each SR motor??..

there is the big one and the smaller one..which one are you guys talking about??

Richard

Beef
04-15-2002, 07:31 AM
FYI - Best place to get the O2 sensor is www.sparkplugs.com (http://www.sparkplugs.com). They have the correct NGK sensor for about $45 + shipping.

91 240
04-15-2002, 07:39 AM
I had some issues when replacing my o2 sensor. I ordered the 87 300 turbo sensor but it was too small(the threading). I ended up using one that came off of a ka24DE altima, which i am assuming to be the same as the 240. This is for my blacktop s13.

Avery

**DONOTDELETE**
04-15-2002, 10:37 AM
Many ECU's do use the O2 sensor to fine-tune the idle of the car - they try to use feedback from the O2 sensor to find a smooth, lean idle.

Leaded race gas will kill most O2 sensors. Heated O2 sensors will have a long life with leaded race gas - I don't know if the KA/SR sensor is heated. By the fact that the sensor has 3 wires going to it, that leads me to believe that it is. The 3 wires are typically power and ground for the heater circuit, and a signal from the O2 sensor.

Most O2 sensors actually generate voltage - presence of oxygen in the exhaust stream reacts with the O2 sensor to create a small voltage - between 0 and 1 volt. The sensor only works right when it's warmed up, hence the reason for the heater. Many cars have 1-wire O2 sensors that just use the exhaust gasses to heat themselves up; 3-wire sensors heat up quicker, thereby getting the computer into control of the mixture quicker, resulting in better emissions and fuel economy, which is what the car manufacturer wants.

The only purpose the O2 sensor serves is to provided closed-loop fuel map correction at light load and cruise, and sometimes to help with the idle mixture. The O2 sensor strives to keep the mixture at cruise around 14.7:1, which is the best mixture for complete combustion, fuel economy, and best scrubbing action from the catalytic converter.

In a race application, an O2 sensor really isn't needed. You typically have no cats to worry about, which is really the primary reason for it.

If you're running a stock ECU, it's best to keep the O2 sensor - the ECU really depends on it for a lot of information. Without the O2 sensor, the car will run excessively rich, hurting fuel economy - the ECU will run rich to keep the cat happy. Too lean of a cruise mixture (leaner than 14.7:1) and the cat will be damaged, so it's better to make it run richer, saving the cat.

If you'd like to run race gas in your car, there really only needs to be a few criteria met. First, no catalytic converters. The lead will irreversibly damage them. Second, a heated O2 sensor. The heating element will help burn the lead off of the sensor, giving a good reading. I had a buddy who, in his daily driver, filled half a tank with 93 octane and half with 120 octane leaded - no problems with the O2 sensor. This will probably shorten the life to, say, 30,000 miles but no biggie.

89SX
04-15-2002, 12:32 PM
With all the posts, the question that I'm still asking is this. What O2 sensor is the correct replacement over here in the US? Obsolete, which O2 sensor did you end up getting from Nissan? I personally have a Redtop SR, and would like to replace mine, but I only want to purchase one O2 sensor and have it be the correct one.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-15-2002, 12:51 PM

mike_t
04-15-2002, 12:59 PM
Yes, I am running an O2 sensor from a turbo Z31 and the threads go right in to the sr housing. However, I had use the plug from sr sensor.

Mike

Hugh
04-15-2002, 02:10 PM
The S14 and S15 use a larger 02 Sensor. I am using a downpipe that required an adaptor to fit my 180sx O2 sensor.

KenFuji
04-15-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by fc3s7:
. The sensor only works right when it's warmed up, hence the reason for the heater. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]that would make sense. i've notice my car's vacuum is better without the funky irregularity at idle after i've driven it for 10-20min. man this car is driving me nuts http://www.freshalloy.com/ but it's still my baby....

willyg125
04-17-2002, 04:37 AM
So what is the O2 sensor that will fit right into the exhaust tubing that is stock for the S13 sr20det redtop. I am having problem running rich at idel so I disconnected the O2 sensor and nothing happened so I believe it is the problem.

mike_t
04-19-2002, 12:59 AM
the '87 turbo 300zx one will fit into the s13 redtop O2 housing

KenFuji
04-19-2002, 10:41 AM
i just bought my o2 sensor.... holly sh!t!! $110 bucks.... i haven't installed it yet... man this better work.

all the local stores where sold out or did not have in stock and the nissan dealer only had it becasue someone special ordered it and never picked it up.... damn....

**DONOTDELETE**
04-19-2002, 12:46 PM
FYI S13 Red and Black top comes with diff size O2 sensor, one is skinny and one is fat.

The 87 300Z Turbo is probably the skinny one, or vice versa. Never bought one before. But alot of times we just disconnect the O2 sensor and drive w/o it. Fuel economy only suffer marginal because most of the customer they gun on the car everyday anwyas. http://www.freshalloy.com/

Wayne
Phase 2

BioSehnsucht
04-19-2002, 02:27 PM
If one were to wire up a heated O2 sensor where only a one wire sensor was previously used (i.e., KA24E) would you wire directly to power/ground or into a fusebox or ?

Just curious.. also, I replaced my O2 and after about 8-10k miles it was looking all black.. is this just exhaust buildup on it or .. ? and would it make it no longer work? I really need to get around to checking the wiring to makes sure it works cause I never have been able to get the ECU lights to blink in O2 monitor mode.. heh..

04-19-2002, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by BioSehnsucht:
If one were to wire up a heated O2 sensor where only a one wire sensor was previously used (i.e., KA24E) would you wire directly to power/ground or into a fusebox or ?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]You'd need switched 12V power...and I can't imagine the heater draws all that much current.

Asad

mdsdm
04-19-2002, 08:46 PM
You'd only retrofit a heated O2 sensor if you were really concerned about cold start emissons. Otherwise just leave the heater wires unused. The heater element will pull between 3A to 6A when on.

AZ_Dave
04-19-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by kenfuji:
i just bought my o2 sensor.... holly sh!t!! $110 bucks.... i haven't installed it yet... man this better work.

all the local stores where sold out or did not have in stock and the nissan dealer only had it becasue someone special ordered it and never picked it up.... damn....<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Sheesh. Hopefully that will solve your problems.
It's time for me to get a new one as well...my engine light came on the other day...and occaisionally it's been smelling like its running rich.

Dave