PDA

View Full Version : Oil catch can or no? I need some help.

LouRocK
06-10-2008, 10:25 PM
I've done some digging around and it seems like almost everyone does it differently so I need some ideas.

I just got my Redtop SR valve cover back (again) from the powder coating. I was going to tap it for AN fittings and run lines to a Perrin catch can that I picked up but now I'm not so sure I want to do that. I am definately not using AN fittings anymore. I picked up some new hose and clamps and I am going to utilize the "T" fitting. The back end of the fitting I will run hose straight back to the block eliminating the OEM catch can but I am stuck with what to do with the front side. The reason I am shying away from the catch can is because it seems like there is no good place for it. Can I run the front end of the "T" directly back into the intake? Put a breather on it? Should I just use the catch can? Why would you want to route the blow by into the compressor side of the turbo anyway? What are your thoughts?

Also, I picked up 3/8 NPT thread to 5/8 nipple fittings for the hose. I would have to drill and re-tap the catch can since the holes and fittings are tiny that it came with, as well as drill and tap a hole into the intake to re-circulate it.

I'm stuck.

gpeele
06-11-2008, 01:22 AM
Definitely use the catch can between the intake and t fitting, you will be surprised how much it helps. A trick I used instead of trying to get new fittings for the catch can is to use a short section of in between hose diameter between the small catch can fitting and the larger hose you want to use for the t fitting, almost like an adapter piece if you know what I mean.

LouRocK
06-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Definitely use the catch can between the intake and t fitting, you will be surprised how much it helps. A trick I used instead of trying to get new fittings for the catch can is to use a short section of in between hose diameter between the small catch can fitting and the larger hose you want to use for the t fitting, almost like an adapter piece if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the reply.. I think that is what I am going to do. I just wished there was a good place for the catch can to mount.

DJPyro
06-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I actually used the PS reservoir bolts and modified the bracket mine came with, it's a tight squeeze but it fits on the fender, between the header and hotpipe, and the hose is looped around back into the intake.. I'll try to post pics if you want.

kovert
06-11-2008, 06:12 PM
Replace the T with a 90, direct it towards the firewall, run a line from there to your can that has a breather on it ( and 2 inlets ), place it somewhere near your firewall on the passenger side, run a line from it to the tube on the block, simple, clean, effective.

oh, and plug your intake pipe ( if you have one ), sucking up oil into your turbo isn't really a good thing.

DJPyro
06-11-2008, 06:43 PM
That sounds like a nice install. Mine hasn't gone back on since I changed my headgasket. I might do my re-install that way.

LouRock, sorry I don't have any pics of my engine bay when I had my set up the way it was.

LouRocK
06-11-2008, 08:45 PM
That sounds like a nice install. Mine hasn't gone back on since I changed my headgasket. I might do my re-install that way.

LouRock, sorry I don't have any pics of my engine bay when I had my set up the way it was.

Well, a buddy of mine and I messed around with the catch can after doing a few other things and didn't have any luck.. I left the stock can on there for now and the other end of the "T" has a K&N breather filter on it. This will be a good temporary solution until I figure out what I want to do with it. Feel free to post up PICS people!!

kovert
06-12-2008, 10:58 PM
http://www.drag240sx.com/datas/users/1-pict0347.jpg

here's another way i've done it... stupid PCV

TS4l
06-13-2008, 12:34 PM
If you do it the way it is above make sure you add a breather filter or plumb it back to the intake. The air needs to get our somewhere!

kovert
06-13-2008, 06:25 PM
If you do it the way it is above make sure you add a breather filter or plumb it back to the intake. The air needs to get our somewhere!

whoops..forgot to mention that, I actually ended up rotating this can so its verticle and drilling a hole for the "screw in" type K&N breathers.

INeedNewTires
06-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Ive heard if you just put the breather its not near as good as actually adding vacuum to the system. The vacuum will help with the direction of the air (gasses) flow and will also help seat the piston rings. You can mount it on the radiator support easily, you can see mine here.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee309/ineednewtires/S14a%20Pics/writeupphotos21729.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee309/ineednewtires/S14a%20Pics/Action%20Shots/DSCN2492.jpg

i know pics are kinda crummy but you can get the idea.... right?

gunluvS14
06-16-2008, 12:33 PM
just a side question,
anyone of your catch can has baffle in it?

The one that I just bought its pretty much hollow, I wonder if it is even functional

TS4l
06-16-2008, 03:58 PM
LOts of people add stuff to the inside. Some use stuff like scotch brite pads or steel wool. That always scared me cause it seems like you would get a lot of small debris. Personally I think its best to buy a baffled can, or cut the one you have in half and have a few baffles welded in. But then again I have run my ghetto greddy one with no baffles for years with no problems. Its still should give an area for the air to slow down and hopefully drop some oil residue. Another thing some people have tried but I don't know how well its worked in using and in-line fuel filter in between the catch can and the intake to catch any extra residue.

gunluvS14
06-16-2008, 04:26 PM
yeah, i'll be afraid to stuff steel wool into it, but I guess that increase surface area.

about inline filter b/t catch can and intake, I think that's a popular mod for the VQ guy on G35/350z forum. They use refrig. inline dryer, works pretty well

LouRocK
06-16-2008, 08:28 PM
really weird, I took apart the perrin catch can and there were foam rings inside, just kind of stuffed in there. I guess it makes sense, it was not too dense so that air could easily pass through but could also grab any debri in the oil and trap it..

DJPyro
06-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Yeah that yellow open cell foam would work just as well as steel wool, just gets cruddier quicker, and might not give you quite as unrestricted flow... Plus you wouldn't have to worry about bits of stuff getting in your intake...