PDA

View Full Version : Natural gas like smell when shifting

240sx-tx
04-14-2002, 07:36 PM
Ok, I have a bad smell. Not sure what it is but its very bad and I am taking my car into get it checked out. This smell is sort of like natural gas, but not like gasoline. I notice it mainly when shifting. The harder I accelerate when I shift the more intense the smell is. I have had two people ride with me and they both say its more noticable when the drivers side window is down than when the passenger side window is down. You don't smell it at idle just mainly during shifts and I think its worse under hard acceleration. I thought it might be the clutch but the car shifts fine and accelerates well. I read something a while back about a propane smell that could be the catalytic converter going out. If its the cat converter going why would it be more prominant during shifting and its definetly more noticable when the driver side window is down and not the passenger side being down and this is noticable by the passenger. Well, anyone have any idea?? Oh, this started not long after my 60,000 mile tuneup.

Thanks

[ 04-14-2002, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: 240sx-tx ]

import silvia
04-14-2002, 08:27 PM
Check your lower shift boot the one that covers the shift lever hold in the tranny. This had torn on my 240 and the gear oil that leaked out had a hevy oilly smell that was similar to LP.

SykikCHIMP
04-14-2002, 08:42 PM
often the catalytic converter will smell of rotten eggs,(close to natural gas) usually during hard acceleration because most motors run rich when running hard. More gas in the catalyric converter makes the catalyst work harder producing the Funk you smell. Usually only happens on low milage cars though. High mileage cars have usually blown most of the catalyst out. (or if your like me you stuck a metal pipe in yours, and knocked all that crap out already.)

240sx-tx
04-14-2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Sykikchimp:
often the catalytic converter will smell of rotten eggs,(close to natural gas) usually during hard acceleration because most motors run rich when running hard. More gas in the catalyric converter makes the catalyst work harder producing the Funk you smell. Usually only happens on low milage cars though. High mileage cars have usually blown most of the catalyst out. (or if your like me you stuck a metal pipe in yours, and knocked all that crap out already.)<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]If there is a problem with the cataytic converter what is causing it to go out at only 61,00miles? I thought 240sx's were supposed to be reliable. My power steering went out about a year and a half ago and that cost like $700 to fix. So far I have been very disappointed in this car. The struts are already bad too, the clutch squeaks, having trouble shifting into reverse and the muffler is rusting out on one side. I just don't understand it since I baby my car. Wash it like once every 2 weeks and keep it in the garage half the time. Its a '95SE loaded with only 61,000 miles!! I heard the catalytic converters are very expensive to replace. Needless to say I am not looking forward to finding out what it is.

AZ_Dave
04-14-2002, 10:08 PM
Catalytic converters NEVER "just go bad", there is a reason. More than likely you are running rich.

Catalytic convertors are not expensive...you can pick on up for $60 on ebay easy. But just replacing the cat won't fix the problem...it will just go bad again unless you find out whats wrong with it.

Sorry to hear you are unhappy w/ your s14....I've often gotten really discouraged, because I've put alot of time and money into my car, I guess nissan lovers just look past the hard times.

Dave

[ 04-14-2002, 11:10 PM: Message edited by: Inept Drifter ]