PDA

View Full Version : parts i am looking at buying for my G

RunninPlaya
06-21-2008, 02:18 AM
i have a '99 Infiniti G20, there is a guy i know that has offered to sale me a Bomz short ram intake, a vis carbon fiber hood, and edge racing headers. i was wondering if any of y'all knew the quality of these parts for the G20, and also can i use the stock exhaust to bolt up to the headers if they fit my car, or will it choke it out too much? if an aftermarket exhaust is needed, can y'all advise me in which aftermarket exhaust i should get (prefer one that is quiet but has a nice purr or growl to it. no ricer **** for me)

thanks
--Brett

palmerwmd
06-22-2008, 02:11 PM
BrettL

in most cases the quality of aftermarket body parts wont be as high as OEM unless your shelling out serious dollars.

the G20 is a beautiful machine in its own right I would take care not to go too crazy on it in looks

BUT having said that, if its a good deal and you are itching to do something to your G then go ahead. Just eyeball the parts carefully before you put them on.

Fred...:)

RunninPlaya
06-22-2008, 10:39 PM
BrettL

in most cases the quality of aftermarket body parts wont be as high as OEM unless your shelling out serious dollars.

the G20 is a beautiful machine in its own right I would take care not to go too crazy on it in looks

BUT having said that, if its a good deal and you are itching to do something to your G then go ahead. Just eyeball the parts carefully before you put them on.

Fred...:)

thank you for the advice, the more i think about it, the less i wanna do this.

it's odd that you put BrettL when you started that response, my middle name starts wit a L.

BorisT
06-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Couple of thoughts...

Headers... Tons of people go with SSAC (or knockoffs) because they are cheap. I am not aware of the brand you have mentioned in your post. These headers will bolt up to the stock system. IMO, the only header choice is a ceramic coated Stillen unit like this... http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=STIHDR01&c=PE&year=1999&make=INFINITI&model=G20

As for exhaust... Couple of thoughts:

Muffler - I am waiting on a Remus piece that I purchased as part of a GB on another forum... I saved almost $300 with the discount and free shipping!

http://www.remusexhaustshop.com/images/G20%20P11%202.0L.gif

http://www.remusexhaustshop.com/remus-sports-label-system-c-178_179_180.html
- Much reading and research lead me to this product that has a has a nice growl at WOT, sweet idle and passes all Euro sound requirements. I am sure this will likely last longer than the car.

If you are going for performance, then the places to begin are:
- light weight wheels (16" pieces weigh much less than larger sizes, unsprung weight/rotational mass is free HP)
- CAI (you have suggested this)
- Handling mods (FSB/RSB/etc)
- VE swap or DE-T conversion

RunninPlaya
06-23-2008, 04:53 PM
thanks for the info on the headers and exhaust, the more i think about it, the more i'm thinking on holding off on modding the G for a while.

MrRyte
06-26-2008, 09:27 AM
thanks for the info on the headers and exhaust, the more i think about it, the more i'm thinking on holding off on modding the G for a while.
The two most basic mods that you can do to the g is replacing the stock/OEM headers and advancing ignition timing to 19* degrees.

BTW, have you been to this site? www.g20.net (http://www.g20.net)

RunninPlaya
06-27-2008, 02:11 AM
The two most basic mods that you can do to the g is replacing the stock/OEM headers and advancing ignition timing to 19* degrees.

BTW, have you been to this site? www.g20.net (http://www.g20.net)

i'm still unsure bout what i'm going to do wit the G right now. i know this, i'm keeping the car cause i love it and it is my first car.

and yes, i'm a member on g20.net, but i sometimes branch out to try and find other ideas in other places.

thanks for the advice though

idrive
06-27-2008, 07:40 AM
BRM is another company to consider for an exhaust, although that remus setup does look nice.

my only warning with modding is...it's never just one part, so be prepared to start buying more than you want...plan ahead!

RunninPlaya
06-30-2008, 10:06 PM
BRM is another company to consider for an exhaust, although that remus setup does look nice.

my only warning with modding is...it's never just one part, so be prepared to start buying more than you want...plan ahead!

well my car is still in my dad's name so i have to clear everything wit him first. i've decided only to get the CAI, and then once i get my EVAP system fixed i'm going to possibly get the headers off of stillen.com and then i'm going to look into the Remus exhaust (won't put the headers on till i have an upgraded exhaust though). that's probably going to be all i do until i get out of basic training and my tech school in the air force, then comes the completely built motor wit turbo/s :D

BorisT
07-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Wise choices IMO...

Please forgive me for this but... You will need one header (singular - one)... only V engines get headers (two headers).

RunninPlaya
07-02-2008, 01:55 AM
Please forgive me for this but... You will need one header (singular - one)... only V engines get headers (two headers).

this is true, i'm not surprised i wrote headers. i was fighting off sleeping pills while typing that last response, so i was not exactly coherent. :D thank you for the correction. the headers i need to get are for the truck i drive sometimes during the week

BorisT
07-02-2008, 08:02 AM
It's all good!

RunninPlaya
07-03-2008, 09:06 PM
well i picked up the intake today, and i'm highly considering a stillen header, b/c the guy i bought the intake off of was telling me wit intake, header and exhaust his sentra was laying down 150whp and still getting 30 mpg. so i'm gonna try that on my dad and see if he'll help me wit the cost of the header and exhaust.