PDA

View Full Version : CF hood

TropicalJewel
04-17-2002, 04:26 PM
Hey,
I have a cf hood on my 95 and it looks great. However when going 80mph with gusty winds on a deserted highway the sides were about an inch off the fender if you can picture what i am trying to say here. It secures into the stock latch which has been modified a bit. So being a bit scared I am thinking of putting on a couple of hood pins for added stability. Especially since I will be driving to SoCal this summer. I am really afraid to drill it and I got a suggestion from a fellow 240sx'er but I forgot what he said. I do remember he said not to drill it. Any suggestions?? Oh and I was gonna go with Momo hood pins. Open to info on that too.
TIA,
Monique

AZ_Dave
04-17-2002, 04:59 PM
I would recommend hoodpins...cuz simply stated: if that latch goes, bye bye CF hood. Drilling CF isn't that big of a deal tho.

Dave

**DONOTDELETE**
04-17-2002, 05:00 PM
use wheel bearing grease , or some other thick petro substance , and use that as the marks to drill the holes , from the underside of the hood .....

MiamiGrinch240
04-17-2002, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Inept Drifter:
I would recommend hoodpins...cuz simply stated: if that latch goes, bye bye CF hood. Drilling CF isn't that big of a deal tho.

Dave<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]LOL goodbye car, remember that Tommy Boy movie? Man, if your hood flies in front of your wind shield you are so screwed. Get some pins dude for sure.

TropicalJewel
04-17-2002, 07:56 PM
I have already decided on getting the hood pins ... so the hood will not fracture or split or crack or get split ends... http://www.freshalloy.com/ with the drilling?
Monique

YellowS14
04-17-2002, 08:12 PM
No, it will, only thing i can say is, use a fast sharp drill, and go slo...maybe a dremel, and use some epoxy on it afterwords, just to help seal the cracks...this is what ive done with fiberglass with good results

TroyC http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
04-17-2002, 08:28 PM
can always get some CF drill bits too. or pratice on a piece of spare CF

uiuc240
04-17-2002, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Erik W:
can always get some CF drill bits too. or pratice on a piece of spare CF<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Really? Those exist? Wow http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
04-18-2002, 04:41 AM
We just drilled hoodpins on a CF hood for my brother's AE86 last week. Just used good regular drill bits, drill slowly. To mark where to drill, use the white out or paint pin trick. Mount the hoodpins where u want them to stay, put some whiteout on the tip of the pin, close the hood.. now you have nice white marks where to drill. You may want to take measurements before you drill to make sure the are the same on both sides of the hood.

RDM_II
04-18-2002, 06:27 AM
I put locks on my CF hood after I left it unlatched one time, but for the record even after the hood came up, hit the windshield, and folded flat against the roof, it was fine. Two small chips at the rear corners is the only visual damage. I got the locks from JC Whitney. Drilling was easy, just use a regular bit.

[ 04-18-2002, 07:28 AM: Message edited by: R240NAII ]

Steeles
04-18-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by R240NAII:
I put locks on my CF hood after I left it unlatched one time, but for the record even after the hood came up, hit the windshield, and folded flat against the roof, it was fine. Two small chips at the rear corners is the only visual damage. I got the locks from JC Whitney. Drilling was easy, just use a regular bit.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]finally got them huh russ? which ones did you get those flush mount lock ones?

BRandon

RDM_II
04-18-2002, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Steeles:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Originally posted by R240NAII:
I put locks on my CF hood after I left it unlatched one time, but for the record even after the hood came up, hit the windshield, and folded flat against the roof, it was fine. Two small chips at the rear corners is the only visual damage. I got the locks from JC Whitney. Drilling was easy, just use a regular bit.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]finally got them huh russ? which ones did you get those flush mount lock ones?

BRandon</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Ya, about to powdercoat them gunmetal for a less obtrusive look.

Steeles
04-18-2002, 10:30 AM
figures. that ought to look pretty good. I still cant decide if I want the oem style hood or the 6 vent AB Flug style in CF from aerogear. either way I want the hood pins for that "just in case".

Brandon

TropicalJewel
04-18-2002, 08:45 PM
Thanks for your help and suggestions. I will definitely get this done hopefully within the next couple of weeks or at least before I try going 80 or so on the open highway.
Laterz,
Monique http://www.freshalloy.com/
95 240sx

Steeles
04-19-2002, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by TropicalJewel:
Thanks for your help and suggestions. I will definitely get this done hopefully within the next couple of weeks or at least before I try going 80 or so on the open highway.
Laterz,
Monique http://www.freshalloy.com/
95 240sx<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]good luck with it take pics and let us know how it comes out

fsae_alum
04-19-2002, 08:05 AM
Monique, I know exactly what you're talking about with the corners flying up at highway speeds. The CF hood on my S13 did the same thing until I put pins in it at the corners. I put them at the same spot the rubber hood stops were behind the headlights. There were two problems that I encountered. The first one was that once the pins were in it was rather time consuming to properly locate the hole in the hood due to the mountin surface for the pins not being a level surface. Second, I used Mr. Gasket locking pins (has a barrel key) and the damn lock spun around inside the lock housing. This meant that the key would not even go in. I guess it did exactly what it was suppossed to do by locking people out, even me!!! Let us know how it turns out.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-19-2002, 08:22 AM
I thought anytime your buy a CF hood you have to use hood pins? I know theres a latch but, forget it... Maybe hes a newbeeeee like me

Zen S14
04-19-2002, 01:16 PM
I have a 95 CF hood on mine. The body shop mixed drilling with heating up the epoxy to make it softer. This way there was no cracks at all.

The other thing to be careful of it the curve in the hood, if you don't drill it right it will not work. Good luck.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-19-2002, 01:31 PM
my carbon fiber hood is gona be here next friday, after ordering it like almost 5 months ago, for my s13 fastback. i haven't heard any problems w/ the hood so far, but if your having a problem like that i might hafta install some. tell us how it goes alright