PDA

View Full Version : valvetrain advise

japslapsilvia
09-25-2008, 12:29 PM
I have been doing a lot of research and cant find a clear answer. I am about to order some parts for my motor and need some advise.

Parts im ordering are

Brian Crower BC0201 Camshafts Stage 2 Street Strip 264/264
Brian Crower BC Valve Springs / Retainer
Genuine Nissan OEM Complete Engine Gasket Kit (Set-top end rebuild kit)
OEM Nissan S13 SR20DET Complete Timing Chain Kit
Nissan OEM S13 SR20DET Front Timing Cover Oil Pump Assembly
Apexi (86mm x 1.1mm) Metal Head Gasket SR20DET S13 S14 S15
ARP Hardened 12 pt. Engine Head Studs Kit (rps Bolts)

So am I missing anything? Do I need to change the rocker arm shims as well? If so can I get them from fwd sr20de? Looking though an s-14 (sr) FSM, I cant seem to find the part where it talks about measuring for the shims, I thought that b/c the lifters were hydraulic there would be no need to replace shims unless they were damaged.

Can I just re-use the shims??? Providing that I don’t mix them up..

Can someone please shed some light on this??

TIA

KB240SR
09-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Go with a different cam other than Brian Crower. Everything else looks pretty good. The BC Springs are really good IMO. Ive taken them to 10krpm a couple times by accident with my solid lifter setup and never had an issue so far. I dont think you need to reshim if your still using Hydraulic Lash.

Doluck
09-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Yea.. the cams dont hold up well and seem to be way off timing.

japslapsilvia
09-26-2008, 09:01 AM
ok cool, so no dice on the cams.

my main concern is the shims, i just wondering if i need to replace them or if i can re-use them as long as they go back in the same place that came out of.

and if i do need to replace them do i just use a feeler gauge and check clearence between the rocker pad and the bottom of the cam lobe (with the lobe facing up)?

what type of clearence do i need to have?

THANKS!!

Doluck
09-26-2008, 03:40 PM
I used the same shims.... the specs were all correct.

jubee
09-29-2008, 02:43 AM
Go with a different cam other than Brian Crower. Everything else looks pretty good. The BC Springs are really good IMO. Ive taken them to 10krpm a couple times by accident with my solid lifter setup and never had an issue so far. I dont think you need to reshim if your still using Hydraulic Lash.

Yea.. the cams dont hold up well and seem to be way off timing.

please go further in depth as to why not to use BC cams. The few people i know that are using them are more then happy and are putting out very nice numbers.

KB240SR
09-29-2008, 06:37 AM
The Cam Timing is way off on majority of them. I remember hearing like 20* on the intake or something like that. I go by the theory of you get what you pay for. BC Cams are half the price of most other cam manufacturers and IMO the sacrifice is the accuracy of the cams.