PDA

View Full Version : Life Threatening traction!!

24Dee
04-25-2002, 02:04 PM
The traction on my s13 has always been crappy. Even with the tires new Yoko Avid H4's i just put on i still lost control of my car (at slow speeds). Will tires honestly improve my traction so that my rear end won't kick out when i'm making a turn at like 25-30mph? About an hour ago i was coming down a hill (the road was wet) at about 35 when I downshifted from Drive to 2nd and all of a sudden my rear end completely came out from behind me and leaving me almost in a 180! Just out of curiosity... how much better would a LSD improve traction?

mdsdm
04-25-2002, 02:07 PM
To be brutally frank, I'd just say improve your driving skills. Why are you downshifting an automatic anyway?

orion
04-25-2002, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Dee240sx:
...Will tires honestly improve my traction so that my rear end won't kick out when i'm making a turn at like 25-30mph?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]

The 240SX is a really balanced car, but will step out without much provocation...especially in the rain. I've accidentily slid my car around slow corners i the rain a couple times, and once with my mom in the car. Not cool...

But tires will help...

...how much better would a LSD improve traction?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]LSD isn't for that kind of traction...It helps mainly when exiting corners or taking off. An LSD will make your car more tail happy if you over power the tires...

Also: It sounds like you may have locked the rears for a second when you dropped the trans into 2, which can't be helped by an LSD or the best tires...it's like pulling the e-brake for just a second. It's no wonder you slid...

Later - Brian

ruf4play
04-25-2002, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by mdsdm:
To be brutally frank, I'd just say improve your driving skills. Why are you downshifting an automatic anyway?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I totally agree. Quit screwing around with an auto like it's a manual. You have no clutch to meter out how much power goes to the wheels or any way to control revs or time engagement. By dropping it from D to 2 in midcorner, you probably jolted the drivetrain through the torque converter, thus locking up the wheels enough to spin you. It'd be like going from 3 to 2 and dumping the clutch. OF COURSE you're gonna spin.

24Dee
04-25-2002, 07:46 PM
Only reason I did that is so I don't have to ride my brakes down the entire hill. But I understand what you guys mean. Hey i have brakes for a reason right... Anyways what type of tires to you recommend? The Yoko H4's I got for about 45 a tire. Within say 60-65 a tire, what tires would you recommend. I don't have rims .. just stock 15'.
thank you in advance.

uiuc240
04-25-2002, 07:58 PM
The tires you have are the same thing we just put on my dad's van. Those puppies are rated for 80,000 miles!!! They are like rocks! If you want ANY performance at all, go out and buy a set of 205/55-15 or 205/60-15 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's. They should be about $70 a piece in your size and will do WONDERS for your traction.

Oh, and don't worry about downshifting your auto like a manual. Unless you've messed with your line pressure, it's not going to shift hard enough to brake traction when going from 3-2. Unless you're on the snow/ice with ZERO friction. Downshifting like that when going down hills was the reason they gave autos the detents in the first place.

To sum up: Get tires. Learn to drive in the rain. Come back with a report about how it goes.

Eric

Rcs476
04-25-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Dee240sx:
[QB]Only reason I did that is so I don't have to ride my brakes down the entire hill. But I understand what you guys mean. Hey i have brakes for a reason right... QB]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Right, and think about this... what will cost more in the long run... Brakes or a tranny?

Just ride the brakes out, easier on the car, easier on your nerves too, as you found out today.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-25-2002, 08:31 PM
i also drive auto but ive never had any of these problems you talk about. i go up and down a big hill every day. just ride your brakes, the cars light and if youre careful it shouldnt be a big deal. dont play with the gears, leave it in drive and go.

like rcs said, them brake pads are gonna be cheaper than the tranny, or if you do another 180 and there are people around, god knows what else.

sorry if that came off harsh but all of our responses seem to have the same general idea. adios!

96S14
04-26-2002, 06:18 AM
I think most people here are saying to ride the brakes. While I agree that this is cheaper than causing transmission problems, have you ever been behind a car where the driver rides his/her brakes down a long hill? The stench is unbelievable.

A much better way (with an auto) is to turn the overdrive off, so you get some engine braking, and press the brake to scrub off speed whenever it builds up too much, then take your foot right off the brake so they get a chance to cool, and repeat when the car gets going too fast again. Obviously, this doesn't work in high traffic situations when the traffic flow is at a constant speed, but personally, I think just lightly pressing the brakes, and dragging them the whole way down a hill is bad for them. Just think of the "swept miles" on the pads if you ride the brakes the whole way down, versus if you press the brakes a little harder, but then give them a chance to cool and not drag for a while.

Those are my 2 cents.

Ryan.