PDA

View Full Version : S14 Sr20det help...

nj240sx
01-28-2009, 02:04 PM
just a quick background, it's a S14 Sr20det, JWT S4 cams, BC springs, FR 3071 TS, Power Fc D-jetro.

Last year I was getting the car dyno tuned but the car was acting funny with timing adjustments, and got the nasty VTC intake cam gear knocking noise. So disconnected the solenoid and got a decent tune on the car. After getting home, I swapped out the S14 intake cam gear with a S13 Sr20 cam gear just to eliminate the sporadic noise.

Now I'm rebuilding the bottom end and debating if I should put the S14 VTC cam gear back on and re-enable the VTC, but I read that the VTC fails with aftermarket cams and that the VTC is bad for top end power...

So I'm just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with a S14 SR VTC can provide some insight if its worth the extra headache.
Thanks in advance

srs14
02-02-2009, 12:03 AM
just a quick background, it's a S14 Sr20det, JWT S4 cams, BC springs, FR 3071 TS, Power Fc D-jetro.

Last year I was getting the car dyno tuned but the car was acting funny with timing adjustments, and got the nasty VTC intake cam gear knocking noise. So disconnected the solenoid and got a decent tune on the car. After getting home, I swapped out the S14 intake cam gear with a S13 Sr20 cam gear just to eliminate the sporadic noise.

Now I'm rebuilding the bottom end and debating if I should put the S14 VTC cam gear back on and re-enable the VTC, but I read that the VTC fails with aftermarket cams and that the VTC is bad for top end power...

So I'm just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with a S14 SR VTC can provide some insight if its worth the extra headache.
Thanks in advance

vtc shuts off after 4800 rpms so its like not have vtc after that. Mattbackvass or who ever stated along time ago that you can acually get into the gear and shim the spring but he never stated how, just said that most would just mess up the gear. this is just my opinion but i plan on keeping the vtc on mine but im not going too radical on cams. again just my opinion, not fact, no facts to back it just what im doing. i think there are some back-to-back comparo's on a dyno of vtc-vs nonvtc on here somewhere.