PDA

View Full Version : Holset HX35---mounting and driveablity

guitaraholic
09-09-2009, 11:45 PM
My turbo just died today. I can get an HX35 for free (friend owns a diesel perfomance shop). I do have a few questions though.

-----1. Is it possible to go bottom mount, w/external WG with a turbo of this size?

-----2. I've heard from quite a few sites, you get full spool @4000rpm, and the spool comes on really quick when it does (I'm am thinking of trying out the quick spool valve too, suppose to cut your spool time down buy 30 percent or so? How would this turbo do with say autocross and track driving. Yes drag is fun, but I like the twisties the most.

Rixdrift
09-10-2009, 05:30 AM
I would probably go with something a little smaller for autox and the track, on the other hand free is free. The other issue is that this turbo really doesn't start opening up till 20psi or higher. What is your power goal ?

guitaraholic
09-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I was looking for 350whp for now, I figured I could do that pretty easy with that turbo and have enough room to go from there once it becomes "normal", right now was at 250whp,, and it didn't feel that fast to me anymore.

I've seen some of the dyno's from HX35's on 2.0Ls and they don't seem to be "too" much more laggy than my SR was with a T28. I'll post up a dyno comparison in a little while

ryebreadz28
09-11-2009, 08:55 AM
I know the DSM guys love these turbos. I think to get it to spool quickly, a lot of them swap out the housings for ones made by Bullseye Power (BEP). I believe it gives them a .55 A/R (I think its mitsu flanged though).

I'm really interested in these as well. My goals are extremely similar; 350whp + autox/street.

Another alternative is the Borg Warner Airwerks turbos too. I know Full Race's site claims they spool the same as a GT30R, only with a T4 housing. I'm not sure how that works out though. Not to mention I can't find a cheap(er) T4 manifold anywhere.

Ghase
09-11-2009, 09:45 PM
The Holset HX35 will not be able to do a bottum mount, its just too big even with the Bep .55 T3 back housing. But the little hx35 would be a great for auto x, especially for large tracks!!!

I myself have the HX40 (8 blade) with a Bep T3 .70 a/r back housing on my SR23DET. It should be running some time next week, just waiting on JGY customs for my fuel rail.

And check these vids out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlKfoibQ6w8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FEIq4tfu6o&NR=1

guitaraholic
09-12-2009, 08:13 AM
The Holset HX35 will not be able to do a bottum mount, its just too big even with the Bep .55 T3 back housing. But the little hx35 would be a great for auto x, especially for large tracks!!!

I myself have the HX40 (8 blade) with a Bep T3 .70 a/r back housing on my SR23DET. It should be running some time next week, just waiting on JGY customs for my fuel rail.

Can't wait to see how it runs with the hx40. I know right now I can get an HX35/40 hybrid, but not sure if the compressor wheel is too big for the turbine. Besides, I've heard even the HX35 can give you an easy 450-500hp, and I don't think I would ever need anything more than that. For the moment, I think I'll be happy with 300-350whp until I get the supporting mods for more HP (fuel, suspension ect ect).

Ghase
09-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Can't wait to see how it runs with the hx40. I know right now I can get an HX35/40 hybrid, but not sure if the compressor wheel is too big for the turbine. Besides, I've heard even the HX35 can give you an easy 450-500hp, and I don't think I would ever need anything more than that. For the moment, I think I'll be happy with 300-350whp until I get the supporting mods for more HP (fuel, suspension ect ect).

Yeah I have a nice setup, I'm running Tomei 270 cams with solid lifters, HKS cam gears, Supertech race valves(+1mm) and springs, Full race T3 top mani, and a 5 angle valve job has already been done to the head. I plan to make good numbers, maybe 600whp plus depending how much the PFC D-Jetro map sensor can handle...

But the HX35 has the potential to make close to 500whp, eclipse and evo guys have done it already. And on the HX40, evo's has made 650whp!!!!

KawBoy
09-13-2009, 11:12 PM
I had a 6 Blade 60mm HX-40 with BEP .70 a/r housing on my 2.0 DSM

Full spool (28psi) before 5k, well over 400awhp on pump gas no meth and 11 degrees total timing.

I should have a dyno graph from the new owner soon!