PDA

View Full Version : reliable ignition for AEM EMS

benevolent
10-19-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm looking for options for a reliable ignition setup for an S15 Sr20det to be used with an AEM 1602 box. I'm only trying to tune 15psi on a 30r but the ignition is breaking up on the dyno pretty bad.

I thought I would be ok with the OEM coilpacks but my tuner is telling me I need an HKS DLI.

Is this really the best option for me? Or is anyone successfully running S15 coilpacks on a 1602 box?

Zero4SPL
10-19-2009, 02:05 PM
As far as I know, the S15 coils have the ignitor inside it. So there is no way to amplify it. You can use an M&W box with Denso Coils or S13 Coils.

juggernaut
10-23-2009, 11:18 PM
The s15 coils can usually handle more than 15psi with no probs. Have you tried swapping the coilpacks for some other S15 coilpacks?

I'm running up to 25 psi on a 3071 with Splitfires which are supposedly the same as the s15 coil packs (but cheaper to replace than genuine coilpacks) on an Autronic ECU.

I was going to consider the HKS twin power if I needed more spark on E85.

luv2spedup
10-24-2009, 01:54 AM
i dont know if it will help ya, but i was having the same issue with s13 sr, i went with spit fire coils intead of hks dli and that fixed the issue for me. prior to spit fire i could not boost past 16/17 lbs(the car would start breaking up under boost) now the car runs like butter at 30lbs, btw i run an AEM EMS too.

benevolent
10-24-2009, 09:46 AM
I would like to swap out with some splitfires, or another set of S15 coils if I had some available,but I don't. (if anyone reading this has some in central ohio let me know =P).

I'm going over the whole ignition system again to see if there are any problems related to the swap, but it ran fine on the stock ECU and also a PowerFC, so I don't think there are any issues.

That leaves the only problem being a setup issue in the EMS, or a bad coil/s. I feel pretty good about my tuner, He's factory trained and has a good rep.

I've already ordered a set of LS2 truck coils so at this point I'm just gonna set those up and hope it takes care of the problem. I got the coilpacks and harness connectors for under $100US all new,that just leaves a set of wires to get so I should be able to get it done under $150 =D. The spark on the LS2 coils is pretty badass as well according to the guys at the megasquirt forums.
http://www.megamanual.com/seq/coils.htm

I'll be sure to post back with some results.

luv2spedup
10-24-2009, 11:30 AM
did you get the CAS wheel from AEM, before you invest more $$$ into other ignition parts i think you should replace that first, if you did'nt get it ur EMS then just call Aem and they will mail you one for free

benevolent
10-24-2009, 11:51 AM
did you get the CAS wheel from AEM, before you invest more $$$ into other ignition parts i think you should replace that first, if you did'nt get it ur EMS then just call Aem and they will mail you one for free

Yeah I got the revised CAS wheel with my EMS, It's only about 6 weeks old. I don't like throwing money at the problem either when it seems like it should be ok, but everything else seems to be checking out.

jakerps13
10-24-2009, 08:30 PM
I LS2 truck coils

Done and done.

What was your previous gap? You'll be able to run .032-34 all day long with the ls1 coils.

benevolent
10-25-2009, 09:13 AM
I had bkr7es sqooshed down to .026 and still had problems. I do plan on opening them back up considerably. The suggested gap for an LS2 is .060 =P

jakerps13
10-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Haha, non boosted! Start with 40 and work your way down.

luv2spedup
10-26-2009, 04:16 PM
i had to use NGK race(copper) plugs they dont last too long but they do the job, mine are gapped to i believe to i believe .23

silver91240sx
10-28-2009, 04:49 PM
I had same problem on similar set up, afr plays a role in putting out the fire also. You should be ok on stock coils just run the gap at 22 and keep afr between 11.5 and 12. If you want to run a larger gap ls1 coils is the cheapest way out.