PDA

View Full Version : troublesome codes

**DONOTDELETE**
05-05-2002, 07:52 PM
I have a 1995 se 5sp and I keep getting ecm codes 34 and 103 (knock sensor and park/neutral switch).These codes only appear after driving in the rain and they don't appear every time it gets wet. I think that there is a bad ground, loose wire or connector that is affecting both circuits but I have no idea besides the knock sensor to look. (I have already check it out, no dice). Anyone have ideas? I should tell you that the car has had its engine compartment repainted recently, but I do not know when or why. I just bought it 3 months ago. When I first got it I noticed a bolt that held what appeared to be a ground wire from the oxygen sensor unconnected. I rebolted that to the engine block. There is red paint on the strut tower bolts, which indicated that they were not removed prior to painting. I think that the previous owner front-ended it or blew the head gasket. The valve covers and cam seals are in pristine condition for a 100,000 mile car. I have no idea wher a park/neutral switch is located so if anyone knows please help me. The nissan dealer is such a pain about ordering a fsm for a car built in 1995.
thanks,
chad

mdsdm
05-05-2002, 10:35 PM
Don't go to a dealer for an FSM. Look in the 240sx.org faq section for the distributor's contact info.

The park/neutral sounds like an automatic type thing on the transmission. The trans wire harness comes up the passenger side. I'd be wary of a car with only the engine compartment painted, engine fire?

**DONOTDELETE**
05-06-2002, 07:48 AM
not just the engine compartment has been painted. The front bumper is a different color (slightly) and the headlights do not completely align. It needs a good buff job to hide all of the body filler.

orion
05-06-2002, 02:30 PM
From this great tranny swap (http://240sx.cwilfert.com/performance_modifications/manual_conversion/electrical/electrical.html) website, I found:

"...The Neutral Position Switch Is The Rear Switch On Top Of The M/T In Front Of The Shifter Housing"

There's a pic on there as well.

As for the knock sensor...All I know is that it's a pain to get at if it needs replaced.

Later - Brian