PDA

View Full Version : VSS/speedo issues, please help

AZ_Dave
05-13-2002, 02:55 PM
While further investigating my non-working speedo...I crawled under my car to see the speed sensor wires...and this is what I found:

3 sensors, one in the bellhousing, one in the tranny, and the VSS. The bellhousing sensor was spliced into the positive and negative wires of the VSS...and those wires were run up to the main harness. The third sensor on the tranny, was not wired at all!

What are those other two sensors doing? Should the one sensor be spliced into the VSS wiring? Can I disconnect the bellhousing sensor? How should I wire the other sensor?????

TIA,
Dave

Edit: Use this picture as a visual guide to what I'm talking about...(note: it isn't perfect)

www.geocities.com/snaps14/transensors.jpg (http://www.geocities.com/snaps14/transensors.jpg)

2nd Edit: Ok geocities sucks, try this: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/s13sr20/vwp?.dir=/Car+pics&.src=ph&.dnm=transensors.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/s13sr20/lst%3f%26.dir=/Car%2bpics%26.src=ph%26.view=t

[ 05-13-2002, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: s13sr20 ]

W_S_Panic
05-13-2002, 03:49 PM
Mines the same way, no speedo. I was going to ask the same thing. http://www.freshalloy.com/

AZ_Dave
05-13-2002, 08:12 PM
Hmm, maybe with two requests we'll get a little help. *wink,wink*

SRFiveTen
05-13-2002, 11:52 PM
wiring isn't my favorite, but here goes.

vehicle speed sensor, back up lamp switch and neutral switch, they each have their own role, they each have two wires, none should be tied to any other.

vss sensor, red and red/yellow, they go direct to your speedo. don't cross the wires as one carries a + signal and the other a -. (i don't know what that means, but do as i say and as i did)

back up lamp switch, green and green/white, they help light up your clear lamps at the back when you choose to go backwards.

neutral switch, green/orange and black, g/or goes to your ecu (ecu wants to know when you're in gear), black ground to your chassis.

now these colors are for s14 sr, but i'm going to guess that s13 sr20 transmission harness is set up the same way.

to figure out which wires on your chassis you would connect the back up lamp switch wires and your vss wires, you should consult your ka fsm.

i got my jdm s14 cluster (tach and speedo) to work using a partial dash harness chopped out of a junked 240sx, though most of the colors didn't match, i followed/tracked the traces on circuit board behind my cluster. (this didn't take place in a 240sx chassis, i don't own one)

have fun!

AZ_Dave
05-14-2002, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the help.

I hardest thing is that I didn't install the SR myself, and therefore don't know exactly how it was wired.

All the colors you said were different...all three of my sensors have wires of the same color.
Neutral - both orange
VSS - both black w/ white stripe
Backup - both black

I guess the first thing I'll try is disconnecting the backup light wires from the VSS. My backup lights DO work, we'll see how that affects it.

I get the general hunch that its OK not to hookup the other two sensors, is this OK?

Dave

AZ_Dave
05-14-2002, 01:17 PM
I'm bumping this because I still need ideas on what to do....I don't see why more people arent volunteering more info on how their's is wired??

89SX
05-14-2002, 02:31 PM
Well, I replied to your other post, but I'll reply here too.
Everything from the KA Harness/tranny transfers over to the SR tranny.
I believe there is one extra sensor that's on the KA tranny that isn't on the SR tranny. That was at least my case. All I did was take the sensors on the KA tranny and put them in their corresponding location on the SR tranny. They are in the same places if I remember correctly. Then all you have to do is hook up the harness to the KA harness where they were originally unplugged. It does complicate things because you didn't do the swap. Maybe you could ask the shop what they have done in the past.
Sorry I can't tell you the colors of mine, no telling if they'd be the same, however since I used all my KA stuff on my SR tranny. I have an 89 coupe with a redtop SR20det.
After I figured out the plugs swapped, everything worked out for me, so I didn't have to dig into the topic for too much detail, but there should be no splicing. http://www.freshalloy.com/

SRFiveTen
05-15-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by s13sr20:
All the colors you said were different...all three of my sensors have wires of the same color.
Neutral - both orange
VSS - both black w/ white stripe
Backup - both black<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]i find it hard to believe that someone took the time and trouble of de-pinning the harness wires from each terminals and replaced the original colored wires with those you see.

i had a cut transmission harness with no plug(s) towards the ecu/gauge cluster. so six wires had to be spliced in.

in my case, all six wires are rigged up correctly to ensure proper function of my ecu.
for the sake of fuel cut or whatever, the ecu wants to know if you are revving in gear or in neutral.
back up lamps are obviously useful.
vss signal is a must for my ecu to control the vtc solenoid.

AZ_Dave
05-16-2002, 12:08 PM
I just wanted to let you guys know that my speedo now works!!
I cut the two wires coming from the bellhousing sensor...thats it. I can't believe I went 6 months with no speedo, and all I had to do was cut two wires!!

Thanks,
Dave