PDA

View Full Version : tech advice: coil diode / ignition switch problem

jdurning
05-17-2002, 04:52 PM
Seach results were less than favorable for what I need, so here goes:

I've had to put my '92 240 in to the dealer to do some fixits electrical wise. Here's the story. Yesterday on my way to work I noticed a whisp of smoke come from the steering column and before I could pull over to stop and figure it out, the car dies. I pulled the shrouding off of the column and identify a wire (one of 5; black w/ white) on the ignition switch that has come unsoldered. This was preventing the car from starting, it would crank but not fire. Meanwhile the tach/digispeedo and dash lights were not functioning. I am able to make contact with the switch and wire to start the car and get off the highway.

I thought it may only need to be resoldered to fix it, but the wire and harness got mighty hot while driving a short (1-2minute) distance. So I had the car towed to the dealer to fix the problem. They replaced the ignition switch which they diagnosed as having shorted and caused the wire to unsolder. Then I get a call that while test driving the car, it stalls during turns.

This is a new problem. I'll summarize the problem as it was explained to me: "there is a diode on (in? inline with?) the coil that is not functioning correctly and causes the car to stall." This is news to me, and I wasn't even aware there was a diode in the coil path.

They've quoted the part at about $250 plus god knows how much labor.

Does anyone have any inputs or radical revelations? Are these two anomolies linked or sheer good luck coincidence that they caught a new problem when they had the car.

Thanks in advance.

--Joe

jdurning
05-19-2002, 10:01 AM
This'll be the only bump before I delete this thread. Any takers?

--Joe

BioSehnsucht
05-19-2002, 10:05 AM
Sounds rather odd to me.. I don't see a *diode* giving out *only* in turns.. hrm, my FSM's at home, ...

jdurning
05-19-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by BioSehnsucht:
Sounds rather odd to me.. I don't see a *diode* giving out *only* in turns.. hrm, my FSM's at home, ...<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I don't think that it was *only* in turn that it was supposed to be doing it. That is just when they first diagnosed it. Like I said, they found the problem, I had not seen anything of the likes until the told me (and unfortunately they have my car until monday when they get the parts in).

I was wondering if anyone had heard or experienced anything similar, or if the dealer is trying to f' with me.

On a side note, the dealer loaned me a wicked specimen of automotive wonder, a 2000 Dodge Neon. Wuss-o-rama.

--Joe