PDA

View Full Version : Help with Code P1126

Ohio_S13
02-10-2012, 11:33 PM
I have a 2002 Infiniti G20, and my check engine light keeps coming on. When I pull the code I keep getting P1126 which is for the Thermostat or Coolant temp sensor. I replaced both parts a week ago and the code came back again this week.

Is there something I missed? Could there be another problem?
The thermstat I used was a Nismo one and the Coolant temp sensor was a Duralast from Advanced auto plus the coolant was flushed.

If anyone has can help let me know.

Indemand
02-11-2012, 06:14 AM
What does your engine temp guage state? It should be above 140 after it warms up.

To check the coolant sensor remove it. In K ohms the sensor should read between 2.1 and 2.9 at 68 degrees, between .68 and 1 at 122, and .236 and .26 at 194.

The manual says you should use a genuine nissan thermostat or the mil may still come on.

I assume you've disconnected the battery or otherwise reset the mil light.

According to the manual the only other possibility is a bad seal around the thermostat but I assume that would be readily apparent.

Hope this helps..

fedj18
02-12-2012, 04:54 AM
A Nismo t-stat may have a lower temperature rating. That could be the root cause of that code still coming on. The code is set when it takes more than 5 minutes of driving to reach a reasonable operating temperature, in other words, a stuck open t-stat.

Mike_TX
02-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Man, it's nice to have a tech on the forum! :thumbup:

Indemand
02-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks!!!

And in case you didn't know we have an Infiniti mechanic as well.

Mike_TX
02-13-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks!!!

And in case you didn't know we have an Infiniti mechanic as well.

I guess I walked into that one, huh? :p

Indemand
02-13-2012, 12:06 PM
I suppose not. The only thing technical I proved is an above kindergarten reading level and maturity to boot.

I can type with both hands at the same time though!

Ohio_S13
02-13-2012, 09:06 PM
What does your engine temp guage state? It should be above 140 after it warms up.

To check the coolant sensor remove it. In K ohms the sensor should read between 2.1 and 2.9 at 68 degrees, between .68 and 1 at 122, and .236 and .26 at 194.

The manual says you should use a genuine nissan thermostat or the mil may still come on.

I assume you've disconnected the battery or otherwise reset the mil light.

According to the manual the only other possibility is a bad seal around the thermostat but I assume that would be readily apparent.

Hope this helps..

My temp gauge moves to about the middle of gauge range....my heat works just fine, and the car drives normal. I have cleared the code but it came back on last week.
I did read somewhere that Infiniti recommends there OEM thermostats, but I don't see how a Nismo one would cause a problem.

The only thing I have found for this code is thermostat or coolant temp sensor.....I may try a regular Nissan thermostat just to see what will happen. Thanks for the help.

fedj18
02-14-2012, 03:24 AM
The NISMO one will be set to open up at a cooler temperature for racing applications. an engine that runs cooler can have a higher power output but will sacrifice fuel economy to do so. In a race application fuel economy is not the important factor.

Ohio_S13
02-14-2012, 07:28 PM
The NISMO one will be set to open up at a cooler temperature for racing applications. an engine that runs cooler can have a higher power output but will sacrifice fuel economy to do so. In a race application fuel economy is not the important factor.

At the time when the code first came on, my mechanic had an extra NISMO thermostat laying around so we used it.