PDA

View Full Version : Is getting a SR a gamble?

PimpS13Wagon
05-26-2002, 09:54 AM
I can't decide on the SR KAT debate for myself.
I can get my SOHC REbuilt for 300 labor plus 1200 bucks for rebuild kit and forged pistons.
then a 2000 dollar turbo kit.
Or a Red top SR for 2200 plus fuel pump.

How man people have bout a SR and just be screwed over?
thanks

silviasaint
05-26-2002, 10:05 AM
well the gamble with buying a sr is the fact that your buying a USED motor..even though most places guarantee them to start that does not mean that a starter wont go out a week later or you wont bend a valve or blow a cylinder.... if you get your sohc rebuilt then you basically have a fresh motor... oh and you will need alot more than just a fuel pump to put a sr in... i spent about 4500 droping my redtop in and i paid 2200 for a front clip!.... im in no way saying anything bad about getting a sr, just saying that there is always a gamble when buying anything used,.. you have no idea what that kid in japan did to that motor or how they took care of it and unfortunately neither does the company that sells it to you

PimpS13Wagon
05-26-2002, 10:25 AM
I meant 2200 for front clip, then i would want to put a upgraded fuel pump on it.
thanks for the info tho, why did it come out to be 4,500?

**DONOTDELETE**
05-26-2002, 11:23 PM
Pimps, you need a lot for the SRswap to do it right. Just a list of what you would want or would likely want to make the SR run nicely.

1. Large Front Mount Intercooler
2. upgraded fuel pump
3. upgraded oilpan*
4. turbo timer
5. boost controller
6. batter relocate kit
7. Larger Exhaust

The SR is good don't get me wrong, but using stock turbo, stock intercooler, stock exhaustmanifold, and all those stock parts isn't too cool. The car will still be good using all the stock parts but it won't be what you want.

There are a lot of issues with getting the SR, mainly the parts you may or may not need for it. I get all of my parts brand new from Nissan in Japan from some guys i order through, otherwise life would be hell.

If you have the moey the Sr is all good, if you don't i wouldn't touch it. By the money i mean the money to keep the car going. When parts get broken aka alternator, starter, ignitor, coilpacks, etc etc etc it will be expensive unless you have connections.

Thats all you gotta know...

deeznutz
05-26-2002, 11:23 PM
Yes it's always a gamble, but as long as you have a good relationshi[ with the people who are sellingit to you, then it's better off that way. Make sure you state the obvious. If anything happens, don;t over react, be calm about things and you should have no problems dealing with the people who sold you the engine.
Sr are strong motors and can take alot of abuse. Just make sure the compression is good. Make sure there is no oil leaking throught the head. Before you install the motor. You might aswell install a new headgasket(I wish I did that first) Just incase anything goes wrong with the head, I'll save you time and money on pulling the engine out again.
Hope this helps
any questions? dan240sx@hotmail.com

-Dan

240sxer
05-27-2002, 01:41 AM
just wanted sa WTF mr sunshine?? wow thats the name i use for everything.. just wanted to say nice name! sorry for a wasted post

WikidAwesomeS14
05-27-2002, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE]
3. upgraded oilpan*
[QUOTE]
Why would you need to upgrade the oilpan? Only if your upgrading everything else on the motor right?

Hollywood
05-27-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by BuryTheNeedle:
[QUOTE]
3. upgraded oilpan*
[QUOTE]
Why would you need to upgrade the oilpan? Only if your upgrading everything else on the motor right?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Oil pans can come dented, which can cause oil starvation.

97 S14
05-27-2002, 10:07 AM
If your going to go turbo KA then at least get the DOHC motor... the SOHC motor doesn't have nearly the potential.

silviasaint
05-27-2002, 10:21 AM
dented oil pans are common... mine was dented and i just pulled it and pounded it out...

dont forget to get a new clutch