PDA

View Full Version : Ease of spinning turbo by hand?

SOHC240
05-28-2002, 12:38 PM
I was playing with my engine (uninstalled SR20DET) today, and I thought I would stick a screw driver into the intake side of the and see how easily the blades spin.

To my dismay I couldn't spin it at all. I could not really reach it very well, but I really thought the turbo should spin quite easily.

Is this normal? Is it possible that It is just stiff because it hasn't been run in a while?

What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Marshall

240sxTurbo
05-28-2002, 01:05 PM
Sounds like its probably going to be an issue sometime down the road. You should be able to spin them by hand with little problem. Also check the shaft for end play but it sounds like you got one of those "really worked" japanese turbo's there.

05-28-2002, 01:23 PM
You should definitely be able to spin the turbo by hand.

Asad

SOHC240
05-28-2002, 02:14 PM
So what do you guys suggest I do, take it apart and do a closer inspection?

If I take off the inatke and exhaust extensions what kind of gasket material do I use?

Can I use those gasket in a tube things?

Thanks guys,
Marshall

Wongsifu
05-28-2002, 02:21 PM
man the way you said "stick a screwdriver in" just hurt my feelins , careful oyu dont ben a fin !!!
just kidding

ordinarly you should be able to spin it really easily, i took my t25g off recently and i could blow into the manifold flange on the turbo and it would spin.

Spray some wd40 in it and see if it clears up and spins easier , if if looks like black or gunk is trickling then that would explain it
open your oil filler cap look inside there, if thats blackish and gunky could explain your turbo being gunked as well as the whole engine.

240sxTurbo
05-28-2002, 02:24 PM
I suggest you get it to where you can see whats going on and why you can't spin it up. The gaskets that your move on the turbo inlet snout should be reusable, the others you might have to buy.

Take this advice, once that motor is in the car the stock turbo and manifold are a ***** to remove in the car, you would be better off to check it while its out. I very well might not be 100% out but I'm willing to bet it will surely not have a long life if its seized at this point. The only bad thing is you never know if its good or bad until you crank it up. If your scared remove it and pay a few hundred and rebuild, if your not try it and see what shakes loose.

SOHC240
05-28-2002, 02:29 PM
Thats what I figured. I may as well get it spinning well while it is on a palet in my garage, rather than trying to d*ck around with it when it is already in the car.

By the way I was careful when I tried to spin it with the screwdriver. http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
05-28-2002, 02:31 PM
Another idea to see if it will spin. Maybe try taking a vacuum and sticking it in the air intake and then see if it spins. That will give it more than enough pressure to spin freely. You should only have to stick it in there for a couple seconds to see if its gonna work. It should be all ok. If it doesn't spin the turbo is damaged.