PDA

View Full Version : 2017 q70!

Altered
12-26-2016, 01:22 PM
Looks like the 2017 model is identical to the '16. I haven't found any specs on it yet but it's definitely not a redesign. So no 3.0TT, no new colors, no improved entertainment systems for another year... just an increased base price. It's as if they don't want to sell them, I'm still finding left over '15 models at dealerships. I can only imagine why...

palmerwmd
12-26-2016, 01:26 PM
I think these are vehicles that really speak to me in terms of design philosphy and interior especially.

Just the right balance of class + features w/o being too busy.

Alas after a lifetime of sportscar/sports sedanness I recently changed my car philosophy to trucks or I would be taking advantage.

leftover 15s you say .? hmmm....

Altered
12-26-2016, 05:45 PM
There have been a couple of '15 models local to the NY area, V8 ones to be exact. Last year I did find a nicely optioned leftover 2014 3.7 early in the year as well as a 2014 5.6 AWD that sat until late summer. It seems the high entry price of the V8 keeps them in showrooms.

MikeD
12-26-2016, 08:41 PM
Don't understand why dealers hold on to them like that. I'm negotiating now on a '16 Durango R/T that's been sitting on the lot for 6 months.
They clearly can't move it & the FCA incentives all run out in a week, but all they seem interested in is bending me over on my trade :shrug:

palmerwmd
12-27-2016, 08:22 AM
, but all they seem interested in is bending me over on my trade :shrug:

Sounds like they are penny-wise and pound foolish ;)

Mike_TX
12-27-2016, 09:58 AM
Gotta make up their losses on the Durango somehow! :rolleyes:

Altered
12-27-2016, 09:05 PM
I never understood it either, I notice the managers and sales employees drive the Q70s then they sell the car as a demo. They still lose on it regardless I would think, I don't know why they don't just come to an agreement at sensible numbers and sell them new. I'm sure they get tons of inquiries on these cars, they're really well optioned.

Regarding the 2017s I just don't see a reason to get one. It will feel the same as my M37 unless I get a 5.6L, then I have to deal with the 74K asking price. Surely many of them will sit until 2018 rolls around.

Indemand
12-28-2016, 06:55 PM
I had my M56 for 6 years. Really liked it. Bought the S7 which costs about 20K more but leased for the same and I'm not looking back. The M has more personality but is inferior in most regards. Infiniti can do better and I hope they do. I'll be a bit more skeptical the next time around. Although the M was a pretty good car overall it doesn't meet expectations for the price.

Altered
01-01-2017, 06:21 PM
S7 is a mean car, lol. I watched an RS7 running at the dragstrip before, that was an experience. Also I sat in an RS7 at the dealership, it is very nice inside and sits really low. And the engine has a nice roar, if Infiniti used their turbo technology and did to the VK56 what they did with the 3.0TT engines they could have a mean competitor.

Aside from that I started looking into the new E43 AMG. It is pricier than a Q70 5.6 AWD but not by much, and it seems to offer more options for the money. But it seems a bit smaller inside, and I don't like the idea of what looks like an iPad of a gauge cluster.

NissLover
01-02-2017, 10:43 AM
At this point I think all of the competition outranks the Q70 because of Infinitis lack of updates to the car, technology wise. But its not a volume car so I could see why they would letit languish on until the new models debuts. But if they updated the tech at the level they updated the looks, it would still be a very competitive car. Look wise I still think it hangs with the best of them, if not outranks them. They really nailed it with the exterior refresh.

MikeD
01-02-2017, 03:24 PM
It's crazy how they limit the choices on this car, no wonder it's a tough sell. To get the nice wood or Java, you have to order the hybrid - WTF !!
Then they bundle the Tech & Sport pkgs (+ make you buy the luminated sills, which SHOULD be std on a car @ this level).
Even the exterior colors are stale, heck the Maxima has better color choices.

There's just no way I'd plunk down $70k+ and not get the interior I wanted + a boring exterior color !

Indemand
01-03-2017, 07:42 PM
My guess is if you can find an M56 new it will probably discount pretty good. It is a good car and is very reminiscent of an old/and/or new American muscle car. Very comfortable, raw power, fairly quiet, darn fast, and still has most of the tech goods. Again when I compare it to what I have now it is a fun car. You want to drive it fast. Can't say the same about the new car I own which always feels serene at any speed. I would buy one again but not at $70K. $60k seems fair. I paid $65K when the car first came out which is a bit much. However, over the time I had it, I can't complain. It just comes down to a choice in a price range and if you look at it simply in those terms, the car is fine.

palmerwmd
01-08-2017, 09:31 AM
I agree w/ INdemand..
Not sure why eveyrone is harping on "Technology".

As an enthusiast I dont care about tech features but the purity of the driving experience..
Those "features" mostly just distract from that

Indemand
01-08-2017, 08:48 PM
I'm not into tech in cars. Most is not usable safely. I love HUD though. Get it if you can. It really brings the whole navigation thing to a better level.

MikeD
01-08-2017, 09:06 PM
Count me in on the 'why' when it comes to a lot of this new tech. I turned a lot of it off in my old M45, was just more annoying than helpful. Don't really understand or use all the crap that came with Sync3 (Mustang) or Uconnect (Hellcat). Why do I need phone style apps or Wifi in my car ?? Or the ability to start it remotely with my phone ??

Useful tech:
back-up camera
Navi
blind spot warning (both the 'stang & the Hellcat have wicked bad blind spots)
SRT pages (realtime digital gauges for engine/trans metrics, screens that let you change suspension, exhaust & trans settings :thumbsup:)

Indemand
01-11-2017, 08:42 PM
Hands free phone when people can hear what you are saying is pretty good. Auto braking could also be added to the list. Some of the other ones I get as well if people are really into it, such as internet radio. But, trying to make the car sync with the phone and have all the same options is not very realistic.

I think I can add routes to the Nav through the cars website and they send it to my car. Tried it once though and it didn't work. This might have some use though. I can also read all my texts but obviously can't respond while driving. I think some cars give you a few preset responses but the whole instant information through texting doesn't suit my style. I prefer real conversation most of the time. I might even have voice to text but since I hate texting I guess it doesn't matter, to me.

Indemand
01-12-2017, 08:14 PM
I actually do have preset responses. So today after a customer sent a paragraph, I replied OK. I just love responding to a long text with Yes, No, OK, or Maybe. This is what builds relationships, I think.

JayG35
02-24-2017, 03:48 PM
It's crazy how they limit the choices on this car, no wonder it's a tough sell. To get the nice wood or Java, you have to order the hybrid - WTF !!
Then they bundle the Tech & Sport pkgs (+ make you buy the luminated sills, which SHOULD be std on a car @ this level).
Even the exterior colors are stale, heck the Maxima has better color choices.

There's just no way I'd plunk down $70k+ and not get the interior I wanted + a boring exterior color !

This is where the Germans eat EVERY Japanese brand's lunch. Lexus does a moderately better job than Infiniti, and I will say that BMW's color choices on anything above the 3-series these days really suck.

How is it that I can't equip a car with 90s green on a beige leather and wood interior?

Off to the Mercedes site I go! :biggrin:

Merc and Audi seem to be the only ones left who understand that there are people who want something other than silver, black, white, or a blue that is so dark it looks black.

Arkansas_M
05-24-2017, 02:56 PM
I have been a loyal Nissan/Infiniti customer for nearly 25 years. In my recent search for a replacement to my 2011 M37s, I test drove the Q60 RedSport 400 and really liked the performance. However, the usable space for me was too small for practical family purposes.

Needing a replacement sooner than later, ran by the local BMW dealer and drove a new 540i Msport. To say the least i was very impressed, the technology and refinement were above and beyond anything in the class. Also drove the Audi s6 and really liked it. The Audi is getting a redesign next year so that checked that one off the list.

Hopefully, Infiniti can get things together, I have owned 4 vehicles and each has been superb in every regard.

Fingers crossed the BMW will be trouble free, it is on the boat from Germany as I type.

Altered
07-08-2017, 11:00 PM
My uncle just picked up a new 530i and he was explaining to me his likes and dislikes. He came out of a 2015 335i sedan so he feels it's a bit slower but rides nicer and is more "mature" lol. This brought me to looking into the 5 series and lo and behold, you can buy a new M550i for 74K. Wait, 74K? That's the price of a Q70 5.6 AWD... But the Bimmer has turbos on the V8, more luxury feel, fresh design, blah blah blah... Infiniti really needs to step it up, I know they can do it

Arkansas_M
07-10-2017, 04:41 AM
The M550 was very tempting, with a base price of about 74k and change, you could get near super car performance.

Adding on a few options pushes the price well over 84k.

Surprisingly, BMW was extremely easy to deal with. I negotiated 8.5% off sticker and was able to order the color and options I wanted. The most difficult part was waiting 7 weeks on the car to get delivered.

I will say that after owning my last M37s for 7 years, there is no comparison to the 540i in terms of build quality, materials and technology. Hopefully the reliability will be close to that of the Infiniti.

Mike_TX
07-10-2017, 09:56 AM
The M550 was very tempting, with a base price of about 74k and change, you could get near super car performance.

Adding on a few options pushes the price well over 84k.

Surprisingly, BMW was extremely easy to deal with. I negotiated 8.5% off sticker and was able to order the color and options I wanted. The most difficult part was waiting 7 weeks on the car to get delivered.

I will say that after owning my last M37s for 7 years, there is no comparison to the 540i in terms of build quality, materials and technology. Hopefully the reliability will be close to that of the Infiniti.

Just to clarify, are you saying the M37 is better in those respects than the BMW, or vice-versa?

Arkansas_M
07-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Just to clarify, are you saying the M37 is better in those respects than the BMW, or vice-versa?

I feel the BMW, in my limited few weeks of ownership, appears to be more buttoned down and have improved attention to detail than the current M. When the current model M debuted, it was one the best vehicles available hands down.

Mike_TX
07-11-2017, 10:04 AM
I feel the BMW, in my limited few weeks of ownership, appears to be more buttoned down and have improved attention to detail than the current M. When the current model M debuted, it was one the best vehicles available hands down.

Thanks. That's what i thought you meant, but wanted to be sure.

Altered
07-13-2017, 09:42 PM
Sat in the 640i and M550i today. 6 series sits too low and is too small inside for me, but the M550 felt very nice. Supposed to go drive another M550 on Monday as the one I sat in was sold already. This one coming on Monday has a sticker of 76. It has heated seats and steering wheel, I'm happy with just those 2 options lol.

I also went by Mercedes and the lady tried to explain to me how amazing the new E class is. I let her know I do not like the 4 cyl engine and I don't want to spend 83K for a 6 cylinder in the E43 lol. The new CLS looks promising but they said they won't have any for 2 weeks.

If the Q70 had a pair of turbos on the V8 this year I would have considered it. Well that and a new nav system.

Indemand
07-19-2017, 09:17 PM
Let's say for giggles the M goes to a 5 liter twin turbo with an adjustable suspension. 0-60 just around 4 seconds or a bit better. Prices start in the mid 70's. Anyone buying? Sport version gets to 60 in 3.2 for $90K to start. Do you want this version?

I might. I'd want the current car to be a bit wider though with the added performance. I just find the current M a bit cramped for elbow room.

NissLover
07-20-2017, 02:58 PM
Nope, but only because I'm not on the level of car right now in life. Lol. I still want something Q50 sized with a manual(pretty much a manual Red Sport is what I want)... but in about 5 years, I'd probably be all over it.

Altered
07-21-2017, 04:41 PM
So I drove the M550i and the 540i on Monday. Only mistake is I drove the M550i first, lol. The 540i is really nice, its quick, it looks nice its comfy...But the M550i- what a subdued animal that thing is. I was at 100 mph effortlessly on the parkway. It has some advanced suspension that rides amazingly comfortably yet keeps the car super stable at every speed. Well at least up to 100 as I verified lol. The exhaust even sounds great. Next year I may get an M550i, Infiniti has a little time to do something about it before I do lol

Let's say for giggles the M goes to a 5 liter twin turbo with an adjustable suspension. 0-60 just around 4 seconds or a bit better. Prices start in the mid 70's. Anyone buying? Sport version gets to 60 in 3.2 for $90K to start. Do you want this version?

I might. I'd want the current car to be a bit wider though with the added performance. I just find the current M a bit cramped for elbow room.

I think the M550i is what you are describing other than the 5L engine. It has adjustable suspension with driver learning and is rated at 3.9 seconds for the 0-60. The one I drove was 76K with heated seats and steering wheel but no ventilated seats (BMW is weird like that I learned, should be standard???)

Indemand
07-21-2017, 07:50 PM
Not exactly describing the BMW. The Infiniti M has become a bit down market compared to the competition it used to have. So I was just suggesting the items people want in the M might get to a price point the Infiniti buyer may not be willing to spend. However, apples to apples I would. The general public I'm not sure. I ended up with an Audi which is about 10K less than a comparable BMW. Unlike Infiniti they make aftermarket stuff for the German cars. For a $1500 program I've got low 3's to 60 and less than 11.5 in the quarter. And, the car is as comfortable and quiet as any car has a right to be. Doesn't have the feedback of the Infiniti though. All these new cars take more time to get used to the handling.

Options in the German cars get a bit cuckoo.

Altered
07-22-2017, 03:40 PM
Ahh, I understand now. I'd love to see Infiniti make a car that rivals the German offerings, but right now they simply do not.

You have the S7 right? Mean machines they are.

I drove a CLS63 today (bored getting an oil change and figured I'd go next door to see what was going on at MB). The CLS63 feels even quicker than the M550i did, it's pretty aggressive to be honest. Very nice interior without being overly busy like the BMW. Just rides too hard, the low profile tires seem to make it rough actually. The one I drove was a used 2015 model, as the 2018 CLS550 is still at the port today. According to the build sheet not much is changing for the North American CLS for 2018. To me the CLS didn't feel cramped like the 640i did, but didn't ride as nicely as the M550i which still handles GREAT. If I could get the suspension of the M550i with the looks/interior of the CLS I'd be set. Is anyone at Infiniti listening??

Strange: the 2018 CLS550 I received a build sheet for has no heated steering wheel, but has heated and ventilated seats. I feel that if a 40K Maxima has all 3 an 80K car should include them standard

Indemand
07-22-2017, 06:50 PM
Yes I have the S7. I'm not a huge fan of the BMW interior. I love the interior's of the Merc's. They are only getting better. The Audi is fairly universal across the brand, much like BMW, but not as boring. I think Infiniti is daring enough to make a great interior along with Mercedes. But no, they don't listen. Deaf ears. But we know they make a great dependable vehicle and can compete if they so choose. They actually do really well below the M without going too crazy, like with the QX80, which is awesome.

NissLover
07-23-2017, 01:51 AM
Speaking of the QX80, I am anxiously waiting to see the production version of the concept. Rumors are that it could be on sale late this year... I think it's a stretch, but it is just a major refresh. Also excited to see the QX50.

But I think the new QX80 could push Infiniti into the 6 figures range for the first time if they load it up with tech and features. Already reaches close to $90k. I think it could do wonders to elevate Infinitis image overall and help them to move a few more higher priced cars.

But yea, the point here is that they NEED to do something with the Q70. I really hope the rumor that a major update is coming, although not a complete redesign. But what's surprising is that the Q70L is the Q70 sales leader. I was just curious to see how many dealers keep on lots and every dealer had mostly Q70L's. So I hope they pounce on that and actually up the content features of the rear seats as it seems they found a little niche to keep some kind of sales puttering along.

How would you guys feel if they dropped the 3.7 and 5.6 and made the sole engine choice the 400hp 3.0t from the Q50 Red Sport?

Indemand
07-23-2017, 04:29 PM
Great question. Of course I was wrong when I said the Qx80 was less when it it more. But while the Q50 is excellent I think they may need to step up the performance to compliment the size and price.

MikeD
07-23-2017, 08:52 PM
How would you guys feel if they dropped the 3.7 and 5.6 and made the sole engine choice the 400hp 3.0t from the Q50 Red Sport?

Would be yet another misstep by Infiniti IMO. Would make the base price go up & scare off some who go for the 3.7 now because power is not a huge touch point for them & you would lose all those (like myself) that expect a V8 in this price range.

Arkansas_M
07-25-2017, 09:33 AM
The redesigned QX80 also has my interest sparked. Previously owned a 2011 QX56 and absolutely enjoyed it. The only thing I did not enjoy was the fuel economy!

NissLover
07-25-2017, 12:21 PM
I think it's safe to say both versions of the 3.0t will probably be the engine options on whatever is next for the Q70. V8s are dying a slow death and now turbo 2.0s are very popular even in this class. I think Infiniti has a good thing going with two power ratings of the 3.0t... which allows them to one up the competition with those turbo 4s. While also having a version that can keep pace with a small V8. Of course it'd be nice if they kept the 5.6 but I think the writing is on the wall.

JayG35
09-27-2018, 02:04 AM
Sat in the 640i and M550i today. 6 series sits too low and is too small inside for me, but the M550 felt very nice. Supposed to go drive another M550 on Monday as the one I sat in was sold already. This one coming on Monday has a sticker of 76. It has heated seats and steering wheel, I'm happy with just those 2 options lol.

I also went by Mercedes and the lady tried to explain to me how amazing the new E class is. I let her know I do not like the 4 cyl engine and I don't want to spend 83K for a 6 cylinder in the E43 lol. The new CLS looks promising but they said they won't have any for 2 weeks.

If the Q70 had a pair of turbos on the V8 this year I would have considered it. Well that and a new nav system.

I know I'm bringing back a zombie thread here.:D

But regarding the discussion about Mercedes-Benz options, there is now an E400 available in the USA from model year 2018 forward. It's got the same 3.0-liter twin-turbo V6 as the E400 coupe and the old C400 (which became the C450 and then the AMG C43, gosh that's a lot of change for 3 years!).

The E43 AMG is gone starting in 2019, having been replaced by the twin-scroll turbo inline-6 (OH GOD YES!!) E53. The story is the same for the W213 E-class coupe (C213): gone is the E43, replaced by an E53 with the I-6.

The CLS is all-new for 2019, and the AMG 63 model is axed to make room for the AMG-GT 63 4-door, a sort of Panamera-fighting Frankenstein's monster that is built on the C/E/CLS chassis rather than that of the AMG-GT sports car. The high-end CLS is now also an AMG 53 with the I-6.

I'm going to just say it. Mercedes-Benz's new inline-6 is the best-sounding 6-cylinder engine I've ever heard. It's like a BMW M L6 with an added veneer of refinement. What MB has done is what I've been praying for Nissan to do for decades. Maybe one day they will answer the prayer and bring back some L6s for the GT-R and Infinitis. :bowdown:

Speaking of which, that's more activity from Mercedes in the past three years than we've seen from Infiniti in the past 10. I know that poor management and a few financial busts (Titan joint project with RAM, fizzled partnership with Daimler, on again-off again Z-car and Leaf replacements) have really forced Nissan to cut back. But holy smokes, can our favorite manufacturer get a bloody pulse!

I just can't take the amount of awesome in videos like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS20pPN7JKM

NissLover
09-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Well based off the news of the new platform and everything transitioning to it, I think the Q70 will probably be the first car to debut it, but it won't be until 2021... smh. There has got to be new product between now and then. If the QX50 is the last all-new model we'll see until this platform debuts, these are some sad times for Infiniti. Hopefully the QX50 does achieve the success expected. Sales have been stellar, but they are climbing.

So my prediction is that we won't see anything about a new Q70 until 2020. Most likely AWD with some kind of VC-Turbo based electrified (e-Power) powertrain and hopefully a high performance 3.0t based hybrid/electrified powertrain.

But really... who knows.

JayG35
12-16-2018, 01:26 AM
As it stands the Q70 is the final Infiniti standing from the sporty, BMW-chasing era.

Last one with a naturally-aspirated V6. (also last with a V8 that isn't the QX80)

Last one with great hydraulic steering and natural feedback.

Last one where the FM platform could at least somewhat handle the weight and power that was thrown on it (though it still struggles with the 56).

Last one with classic Infiniti reliability before they went full Nissan/Renault.

And the whipped cream and cherry on top of the sundae is the much maligned 7-AT from Jatco. People complain about it here and on the Q50/60. But be thankful it's not a CVT. For all we know, the replacement could be hit with the CVT curse. It all depends on how un-Ghosn Nissan's new leadership is. If the problem was more the board than one executive, get ready to abandon this brand.

So the Q70 is hopelessly dated and I'd only buy it used, but it is quite the museum piece. It's the last production model from a time when Infiniti had an identity and its parent company knew what the puck it was doing. That's all long-gone, and it seems like a mystical era from centuries past.

Indemand
12-21-2018, 07:04 PM
I mostly agree with you JG. But I will say if you plan on driving the M spiritedly it will oblige. I think it's faults are in regular mode. Once you learn the car you can get a bunch out of it. It is a nice car. Now seems cheap. Scary that I said that as good car prices have risen so dramatically.