PDA

View Full Version : HKS EVC IV

**DONOTDELETE**
06-11-2002, 09:00 AM
Have anyone installed one of these on their car?
I've a S14a (SR20DET) and in the manuals they tell me that I need to "tee" in the piping before the intercooler. I've searched but I can't find any place where I can "tee" a pipe in.

[ 06-11-2002, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: tyan ]

Ambush_Paddington
06-11-2002, 09:04 AM
the boost controller? I dont know if what they mean is a tee in the piping, as much as they mean a tee off the hose from the wastegate. Im not sure if your talking about a boostcontroller though, but i thought thats what the hks evc was....

jesse

**DONOTDELETE**
06-11-2002, 09:15 AM
Yes, I'm talking about the boost controller. This is what the manual tells me to do.

INTERNAL WASTEGATE (SINGLE PORT ACTUATOR) INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

Port #1- Connect to an uninterrupted intake manifold pressure source after the throttle body such as a compressor bypass signal line using the 4mm hose.

Do not connect port #1 to the line that operates the fuel pressure regulator unless the supplemental instructions tell you to do so. (I tee'd my boost guage here)

This hose should be as short as possible and should not exceed 100cm (34).

Install the 4mm vacuum filter within 10cm(3.9) of port #1 on the EVC stepping motor.

Port #2- Connect to a source of pressurized air such as a turbocharger compressor housing (discharge side) or compressor outlet pipe (before the intercooler) using the 6mm hose. (I'm having doubts with this as to where to tee it)

Install the 6mm vacuum filter within 10cm (3.9) of port #2 on the EVC stepping motor.

Port #3- Connect to the port on the wastegate actuator.

Port 1 is all the way on the right, port 2 is all the way on the left and port 3 is in the middle.

**DONOTDELETE**
06-11-2002, 09:17 AM
http://www.racecarnewmedia.com/hks/images/evc-iv03.jpg

uiuc240
06-11-2002, 09:33 AM
are you using the stock piping? even if you're not, most of the FMIC kits have a nipple coming off of the hot side IC pipe for just this purpose. basically, for the HKS controller, you need to get a pressure reading to the boost controller BEFORE it gets to the intercooler. anywhere along the hot pipe should be fine, closer would be better for response, but that'll be pretty hot air too. the factory piping has a nipple placed AFTER the SMIC so the reading to the wastegate takes into account pressure drop across the intercooler. i'm not sure why HKS does it like this, but apparently that's what it needs. if you don't already have a nipple in your IC pipe to connect to, you have two options.

1. go have a nipple welded in.
2. go to the hardware store (tough to find in europe) and buy a brass pipe nipple. drill and tap a hole, and thread it in. use teflon putty for a good seal.

Eric

**DONOTDELETE**
06-11-2002, 09:42 AM
uiuc240:
I still have the stock piping, so you are saying that with the stock I need to drill and tap into the IC pipes, in order to get pressure before the IC. Right? What would happen if I use the nipple after the intercooler?

uiuc240
06-11-2002, 09:56 AM
you should be able to use that nipple from the stock piping. it will work just fine. you know which one i'm talking about, right? it's on the cold side pipe, near the top, close to the wastegate actuator. if you use it and you get really bad spikes, you could try tapping into the hot side pipe afterwards. i have a feeling this setup will work fine. the reason they're suggesting using the hot IC pipe is that if you have a FMIC, using the cold side pipe might require a really long vacuum tube. but on the stock pipes, it should be fine. you can mount the controller over there too. the only long tube will be from the throttle body vacuum fitting. you know which one to use, right? use the one that goes to your BOV. it's the bigger one.

Eric

06-11-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by uiuc240:
the reason they're suggesting using the hot IC pipe is that if you have a FMIC, using the cold side pipe might require a really long vacuum tube. but on the stock pipes, it should be fine. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Another reason might be the slight lag if you get the pressure signal from after the intercooler. It probably won't be as bad with the stock IC, but the response lag might make it harder for the EVC-IV to learn/control the boost curve.

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
06-11-2002, 10:10 AM
This is the nipple you mean right?
http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=48f2b8898e88be02775fbd00dc7dc048&postid=114126
Thanks for me helping,
TC

gforce240sx
06-11-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by tyan:
http://www.freshalloy.com/
Thanks for me helping,
TC<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Yup, cut it somewhere and put the Tee there to hook up to the EVC.

Danny.

uiuc240
06-11-2002, 10:30 AM
good point, asad. and i agree with you about the lag. i don't think he should go drilling holes in the hot IC pipe, yet though. i say try it the easy way first, see how it works, and then fix it if you need to.

Eric

uiuc240
06-11-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by tyan:
http://www.freshalloy.com/
Thanks for me helping,
TC<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]your answer is right there in the drawing. just take out the stock "wastegate valve control solenoid valve" and plumb the stepper motor in right there. It already is getting a boost signal. And the vacuum tube for the wastegate actuator is right there too. just run the one you need from the throttle body and you're all set. badabing badaboom.

Eric

**DONOTDELETE**
06-11-2002, 12:10 PM
Thnx to you all, I really appreciated the help.

**DONOTDELETE**
06-12-2002, 12:48 PM
Where did you all mount the stepping motor? I can't find a suitable place to mount the stepping motor.