PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good brake disc?

AD
06-11-2002, 12:28 PM
I recently had my brakes checked, and it looks like I'm going to have to replace the discs pretty soon, most likely with my next pad change in no more than 2 or 3 thousand miles.

Looking through what's offered, I've found all sorts of different discs for our beloved 240sxs, but can't decide whether or not it's worth it to go after market (i.e. non-OEM). I've found Brembo stock-size discs for $96 per pair for fronts and $76 per pair for rears for non abs S13. Is this considered a "good price", and what makes aftermarket discs 'better' than OEM?

I mean, I'm sure they're (supposedly) more resistant to warping or breakage, but why? is it in the material they use? the process? Why should a brembo disc be any "better" or outperform an OEM disc?

And lastly -- do you bed the pads first, or do you (forgot the term) the rotors first? I have the "methods" written down somewhere, I just don't know which to do first when you change both pads and rotors.

Thanks. http://www.freshalloy.com/

**DONOTDELETE**
06-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Try www.nopionline.com (http://www.nopionline.com)
They offer Bradi brand rotors, even though their site lists them as Brembo. Each corner is about $25-30.
Raw materials and process control are the things that determine the quality of a rotor; and design if you consider the manufacturer has to make changes given their use of lower quality materials.
It's best to bed pads & rotors together.
Michael

AD
06-11-2002, 01:11 PM
so now I'm left to ask: What makes these Bradi brand rotors better or worse than the brembos? I assume your experiences with them aren't that bad since you're recommending them.
The price tag on these look great though, and I'll probably end up buying them even if they're not as good as the Brembos, just because they're so cheap.

Mav1178
06-11-2002, 01:18 PM
When you get new rotors and/or get your rotors resurfaced, it is strongly recommended to get new brake pads at the same time. Same goes for new brake pads; when you get new pads it is highly advised to go with new rotors or resurfaced rotors.

Brake pads should be broken in by accelerating up to about 30-40MPH, stopping to 5MPH or so by braking in a constant, firm manner (not emergency stops), then repeating the process about 5-10 more times. Basically, keep driving around town but don't stop. This ensures that the brake pads heat up and cool down in an uniform manner.

-alex

ruf4play
06-11-2002, 01:18 PM
While this probably doesn't pertain to the Bradi rotors, most companies like Powerslot and KVR actually buy Brembo blank rotors and slot/drill them. This can be good or bad depending on the quality of the workmanship/design of the company. I haven't heard anything particularly bad about Powerslot but all of the KVR rotors I've seen are pretty nicely done. HT also offers Brembo rotors but they have been slotted/drilled by someone else. I'm not saying that they are bad, but it is definitely something worth investigating before you buy.