PDA

View Full Version : timing at WOT while boosting on an sr20det?

**DONOTDELETE**
06-12-2002, 05:51 PM
Does anyone know what the timing is on an sr20det while boosting at wide open throttle?
i have an apexi multichecker hooked up and its telling me 8 degrees BTDC at wot while boosting. was wondering if my timing is being retarded at wot. cause it doesnt pull.
anyone know what sensors besides the knock sensor could cause the ecu to pull timing?
thanks
David

NOSTALGIC_HERO
06-12-2002, 08:15 PM
well, assuming you set up the meter correctly, than you are correct. SR ECU will retard timing down to about 7 degrees when it sees MAFS values and RPM values [read:load] peak. make sure your base timing (At idle and at operating temperature) is at 15 degrees.

abailey269
06-12-2002, 09:04 PM
Only 7 degrees at WOT?! Man, can someone please explain why dsm boys (4G63) use a base timing of less than 15 but under WOT they are extremely happy to see above 20? So is there a program for the sr that i can use a datalogger for? My buddy uses a palm pilot that hooks up to his ecu and reads cool things like timing, O2 voltage, etc. these guys have less than $500 into these items, Is there another cheap alternative around that price that does those features?

-Aubrey

**DONOTDELETE**
06-12-2002, 10:13 PM
7 degrees, EGTs might be really high.

I never on any motor have run less than 15degrees total timing under full boost, if you have to go less, then lower the boost or raise octane. too much of that heat/energy is going right out the combustion chamber into the manifold with advance that low. Not that you really have control over you ignition maps, but as mentioned above check your base timing.

I was at a race once and changed programs (wayyy back when i had to change programs for my small turbo with race gas) and i noticed a 100degree drop in EGT's under full throttle. This program had the whole timing map advanced 7 degrees from what my street map was at. At the end of the day before filling up the tank with pump gas i switched programs back and that 100 degrees was back like before.

but on another brainstorm, the ecu shouldnt care what the CAS is set to. it should say on that multicheck the advance degrees it wants the motor at, whether or not the CAS is set right is whether or not the motor sees the ecu's advance. unless you are knocking or something else

maybe we can all brainstorm you a solution....

[ 06-13-2002, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: Greaser ]

NOSTALGIC_HERO
06-12-2002, 11:36 PM
that is true greaser (about the ecu not caring what the actual advance is) he would simply see what the ECU is correcting to (difference in amount of degrees)

As far as the info on stock SR ECU changes, i am pretty sure that 7-8 degrees is what it will drop to on heavy load. (i beleive this is for its safety map) which could mean it was detecting knock....

[ 06-13-2002, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: Escaflowne ]

**DONOTDELETE**
06-13-2002, 12:51 AM
so you guys think it could be being retarded because of knock?
what type of voltage reading is outputed by the knock sensor when it does and doesnt detect knock?
i have set my base timing to 15 degrees btdc using a timing gun for dfi systems. the multichecker reads 15 degrees as well at idle.
so what would the timing be if the car is running properly and there is no knock. i am boosting .6 kg/cm2 (stock boost). Checked to make sure teh CAS is installed properly as well...should i try lowering the gap of the spark plugs? they are at .035 right now ( could it be the bosch plugs i am running? everyone seems to think they suck badly)

gforce240sx
06-13-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by dyc1077:
so you guys think it could be being retarded because of knock? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Timing at WOT at sea level should be around 14-20 degrees at around 4500 rpm and up. There is no knock control after 4500 at WOT. However, there are 2 maps in the ECU, one is retarded more than the other. It runs a max of 17 degress. I would double check everything to make sure the motor is running perfectly. I had a bad MAF which cause the ECU to run in its retarded map.

Danny.

**DONOTDELETE**
06-13-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by gforce240sx:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Originally posted by dyc1077:
so you guys think it could be being retarded because of knock? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Timing at WOT at sea level should be around 14-20 degrees at around 4500 rpm and up. There is no knock control after 4500 at WOT. However, there are 2 maps in the ECU, one is retarded more than the other. It runs a max of 17 degress. I would double check everything to make sure the motor is running perfectly. I had a bad MAF which cause the ECU to run in its retarded map.

Danny.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]when you say it runs a max of 17 degrees on the more retarded map, is that at WOT above 4500 rpm? or just a max of 17 degrees across the board? cause my car will have timing as advanced as 30 some degrees until boost comes on in which it is around 14-20 but then at WOT in the upper revs, it drops to 8-10 degrees.
any more ideas?
i have tried 2 ka24e mafs and an sr20det maf and it has acted the same for all of them.
thanks
David

jeremiah
06-13-2002, 11:46 PM
i think it is the multichecker that is off. mine also says 7 degrees under wot.
-Jeremiah