PDA

View Full Version : sticky left turns?

Kure-ji180sx
06-15-2002, 12:45 AM
When I'm driving my 90 "Fast"back, there is something weird with the steering.

For example, if I'm cruising in 2nd gear, then I start working the wheel left to right quickly (like sloloam), everytime after I start going to the left, I feel the steering wheel somewhat "grab" onto something, and it takes a bit more of force to continue cranking it to the left. I'm only doing about 90 degrees off center in each direction.

This seems somewhat dangerous since there is a bit of "steering lag" ....and I enjoy mountain runs so it must go away before I go back out, and maybe for normal driving in emergency situations ^_^

Any help is appreciated very much!

One more thing, if anyone knows...when I am coasting down to a stop in second gear, with no gas/ clutch/ brakes ...my muffler does a few soft "pops". Does this mean I'm running lean? It's a stock muffler (I'm 95% sure)

Thanks guys!

redlyne
06-15-2002, 10:40 AM
I've felt the steering get harder after successive turns like that. Although, to be honest, I'm not sure what it is. I can tell you that it got a little better when I replaced the PS pump/lines (along w/ my engine) w/ a '97 KA and PS system. But it still lags a little bit. I've just kind of learned to anticipate it.

As for the popping, that's normal. The AIV might need to be cleaned out, but the pops won't hurt anything.

Sean

**DONOTDELETE**
06-15-2002, 12:03 PM
as for the worn out bushing.. I had the same problem with my 89 before I sold it.. turns out.. the guy I sold it to.. changed out the tie rods/bushings.. did a world of difference.. the aiv valve. it's not a problem.. just make sure to have a little elbow grease on hand.. he he.. it's on the right side of the engine bay.. I recomend unbolting the whole bracket.. get some carb cleaner and go to work.. I had to use some Very Fine steel wool to get mine where I wanted it.. REALLY BAD.. but no damage was done.. .. car ran smoother.. end result.. lol.. well worth the $1.50 can of the Carb cleaner

Kure-ji180sx
06-15-2002, 11:38 PM
Redlyne - Thanks for the info. Yes, the pops don't hurt anything, but I find them somewhat annoying. Is cleaning out the AIV valve a difficult chore? I'm not very advanced mechanically (yet)...so maybe I better not muck with it.

As for the "sticky steering", do you guys think that devastatingly-worn-down bushings might be the culprit? Maybe I could flush my PS fluid....