PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with this SR20DET motor?

97 S14
07-08-2002, 05:15 PM
http://ka24.net/blacktop/DSC0443.jpg

I won an auction for this S13 SR longblock on Ebay a few days ago, but after looking at this picture Im a little worried and not sure if I want to go through with this purchase. I contacted the seller and he told me that 50% of the SR motors have this same 'distortion' in the front of the head. I've seen a LOT of SR motor's and never seen this 'distortion' before. Looks as if the metal had been reworked with a torch or something. Anyone seen this type of thing before? Opinions? Thanks.

[ 07-08-2002, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: 97 S14 ]

KenFuji
07-08-2002, 05:35 PM
looks strange. mine is not like that.
http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=016159
neither are theirs....

ken

240sxTurbo
07-08-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by 97 S14:

I won an auction for this S13 SR longblock on Ebay a few days ago, but after looking at this picture Im a little worried and not sure if I want to go through with this purchase. I contacted the seller and he told me that 50% of the SR motors have this same 'distortion' in the front of the head. I've seen a LOT of SR motor's and never seen this 'distortion' before. Looks as if the metal had been reworked with a torch or something. Anyone seen this type of thing before? Opinions? Thanks.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Looks like JB weld....I'd believe I'd back out.

97 S14
07-08-2002, 06:10 PM
The more and more I think about it the more and more I want to back out of the deal... It'd cost me a negative on my Ebay ID but oh well. A friend of mine made a good theory of how it happened... the motor was probally in a car that was in a front end collision in Japan and something hit the head and dented/cracked it and it was welded back up.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-08-2002, 08:18 PM
Hey even the waterpump pulley flange is missing. images/icons/shocked.gif

97 S14
07-09-2002, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I went ahead and told the buyer I am no longer interested in the motor. He may leave me a negative, but that's much better than being stuck with a gimp motor.

KenFuji
07-09-2002, 12:26 AM
another reason why not to buy a motor off ebay...

stock4door
07-09-2002, 01:35 AM
If anyone has a problem with this auction then just email me. I am the one who posted it. The buyer should have asked questions before jumping into the auction and using the buy it now two hours after I listed it. I have nothing to hide. This engine was in no front end collision, and is arguably one of the cleanest s13 sr's you will come across. I have quite a few people and friends on FA here that can vouch for me on that also. If anyone that has been around SR engines and has seen quite a few of them knows that a large number of the very late black top engines are exactly like this one. I never said 50% of all SR's were like that. It is obviously just an area on the cylinder head where the casting was ended. There is absolutely ZERO evidence of this strange casting from inside the valve cover. I will post pics when I have a chance to pull the valve cover.

Anyways... I will be relisting.

Buyer won't get negative feedback if he makes things right.

[ 07-09-2002, 02:47 AM: Message edited by: stock4door ]

stock4door
07-09-2002, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by nc72510:
Hey even the waterpump pulley flange is missing. images/icons/shocked.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]It was sold as just a long block. And the auction contained detailed pics. So that was never an issue. Buyer see's exactly what they are getting.

jspecusa
07-09-2002, 01:57 AM
believe it or not you can make
more money parting out a sr then selling
it complete.
it just a hassle that's all.
cheers,

sam images/icons/grin.gif

stock4door
07-09-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by kenfuji:
another reason why not to buy a motor off ebay...<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Another reason why NOT to list a motor on ebay. I think I am probably one of the only people who is actually listing an auction that contains real pictures of what the person is bidding on... and of course I get the buyer who jumps the gun. He could've at least tried to resolve this with me personally instead of starting a thread on FA. I think I recieved a total of 2 emails from him before he backed out.

stock4door
07-09-2002, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by jspecusa:
believe it or not you can make
more money parting out a sr then selling
it complete.
it just a hassle that's all.
cheers,

sam images/icons/grin.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Damn straight about it being a hassle.

KenFuji
07-09-2002, 02:27 AM
personally i wouldn't sell or buy motors through ebay. there is too much risk involved for both buyer and legit sellers. that is my train of thought when i posted. nothing personal towards you stock4door. i don't even know which auction or how much the bid ended at, what it came with etc etc. opinion is what he asked for and that's what everyone did. chances are he got a good deal even if it was for just the parts alone. personally i have never seen that condition before and that is what i posted.

ken

stock4door
07-09-2002, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by kenfuji:
opinion is what he asked for and that's what everyone did. chances are he got a good deal even if it was for just the parts alone. personally i have never seen that condition before and that is what i posted.

ken<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Agreed, nothing wrong with asking an opinion. Nothing wrong with giving an answer also. I just wish he would have talked it over with me first. It could have been resolved much easier.

jspecusa
07-09-2002, 03:03 AM
there are many idiots in ebay,
they just treat it like a game and
waste people time and money.
we have so many unpaid ebay auction it's not
even funny.
people jump into things without research,
but that's one reason why you can make more money on ebay too.
like we use to sell the nismo leather shiftknob for $60 to $65 shipped and now the local nissan dealer carry it so we decide not to sell them anymore, and people are still bidding up to $70 plus shipping on ebay for them.
if you don't believe me just check out some greddy oil cap on ebay some sold for more then retail.
cheers,

sam images/icons/grin.gif
ps. my point is you win some and you lose some

NOSTALGIC_HERO
07-09-2002, 04:27 AM
i have seen a few motors like that. you guys jump to conclusions WAY too fast.

here is my friends Gti-R motor that has this too

I have seen about 4 other motors like this- in running cars that do fine..

http://www.coursevector.com/silvia/images/gtir/gtir2.jpg

its right under the valvecover center bolt.

i'm convinced its a factory augmentation. For what? i dont know, probably for the same reasons why you have hex keyed bolts that thread into the block under your cams for the sole purpose of sealing off cavities made for machining access during manufacture....

[ 07-09-2002, 05:30 AM: Message edited by: Escaflowne ]

95silvia
07-09-2002, 04:42 AM
Dan, My motor looks like that and so does a head i have sitting in my garage. I also have done business with stock4door and know his a good guy. -My 2cents. Cjex

arkman0
07-09-2002, 06:06 AM
well, here is my 180sx blacktop motor...
http://www.arkman.com/cylhead.jpg
btw, that motor does look very clean...
how much does he want for it

**DONOTDELETE**
07-09-2002, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by 97 S14:

I won an auction for this S13 SR longblock on Ebay a few days ago, but after looking at this picture Im a little worried and not sure if I want to go through with this purchase. I contacted the seller and he told me that 50% of the SR motors have this same 'distortion' in the front of the head. I've seen a LOT of SR motor's and never seen this 'distortion' before. Looks as if the metal had been reworked with a torch or something. Anyone seen this type of thing before? Opinions? Thanks.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]If you are talking about the ridges on the head like potato chips that is normal. Those come on all the black tops from 180's if i remember but they are normal. What is the price on that block STOCK4DOOR????

240sxTurbo
07-09-2002, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by stock4door:
If anyone has a problem with this auction then just email me. I am the one who posted it. The buyer should have asked questions before jumping into the auction and using the buy it now two hours after I listed it. I have nothing to hide. This engine was in no front end collision, and is arguably one of the cleanest s13 sr's you will come across. I have quite a few people and friends on FA here that can vouch for me on that also. If anyone that has been around SR engines and has seen quite a few of them knows that a large number of the very late black top engines are exactly like this one. I never said 50% of all SR's were like that. It is obviously just an area on the cylinder head where the casting was ended. There is absolutely ZERO evidence of this strange casting from inside the valve cover. I will post pics when I have a chance to pull the valve cover.

Anyways... I will be relisting.

Buyer won't get negative feedback if he makes things right.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Posting pictures might ease his mind, and its obvious he doesn't have a problem getting the money together. I suggest you post the picture in the ad you post and go from there.

No need to get mad(which you really didn't) because someone wants to cover their a$$.