PDA

View Full Version : BUY HOOD PINS IF YOU GET A CF HOOD

s13dummy
07-10-2002, 10:06 PM
Yea so I was doing 110 down I20 today, and my hood popped up. Luckily I didnt hit anybody, but I need a new sunroof, and my roof is fu ck ed to hell. I guess the most luck I got from this, was my windshield is still in tact. Too bad that hood is now a $400 piece of trash on the side of the highway.

I came to realize that the latch ripped throught the fiberglass supports on the bottom of the hood.

Not a good day.

Why does **** like this always happen to me? images/icons/confused.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
07-10-2002, 10:23 PM
Hows this for bad. The latch on the car (not the hood) broke on my friends FD when we were going down to a show. His hood popped up like yours but the difference is that his was a $1600.00 FEED hood and it messed up his roof with the $6000.00 paint job. The hood cracked in 1/2 and he had to get a new roof welded on to his car.

So things could have been worse.

dan240t
07-10-2002, 11:24 PM
happened to 95_se just last friday before our meet. roof got owned.

thing was the fiber images hood he had (which IS quality) the cf skin separated from the fiberglass under frame(which has the latch) and flew up then folded back on itself and continued on to hit the roof.

then the underframe came up a split second later i think as he said.

buy pins!!! lol

MATT_BACK_VASS
07-10-2002, 11:31 PM
hell ive had 4 oem hoods flip up on me lol

hood pin user 4 life

07-11-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by s14alex:
Why does **** like this always happen to me? images/icons/confused.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Dunno, maybe because you don't have a Ferrari, but drive as if you do?

Steeles
07-11-2002, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by 9591:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Originally posted by s14alex:
Why does **** like this always happen to me? images/icons/confused.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Dunno, maybe because you don't have a Ferrari, but drive as if you do?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]yeah cuz SOOOOo many ferrari owners drive them hard on the street.... images/icons/smile.gif

[ 07-11-2002, 05:27 AM: Message edited by: Steeles ]

YellowS14
07-11-2002, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by rotaryknight:
Hows this for bad. The latch on the car (not the hood) broke on my friends FD when we were going down to a show. His hood popped up like yours but the difference is that his was a $1600.00 FEED hood and it messed up his roof with the $6000.00 paint job. The hood cracked in 1/2 and he had to get a new roof welded on to his car.

So things could have been worse.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]that wouldnt also be the car in a magazine a few years ago titled BAD JU-JU is it....that guy had the worst luck...roof/hood exactly as you described, then he got jacked coming back from a show(luckily all his friends were in equally fast cars behind him....they caught him)...then he parked on grass and cought on fire.....every time something bad happens to me i just remember him...and i feel better images/icons/wink.gif

TroyC images/icons/cool.gif

Dousan_PG
07-11-2002, 05:06 AM
yeah sounds like that car
beautiful car haha
saw it in OC one day..and at a show..just a beautiful piece of work
aaron

07-11-2002, 05:19 AM
Originally posted by Steeles:
yeah cuz SOOOOo many ferrari owners drive them hard on the street.... images/icons/smile.gif <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]OK, just for you, since you seemed to have missed my point, I'll rephrase my comment/question:
Dunno, maybe because you don't have a car that was engineered for being driven at very high speeds, but drive as if you do?

s13dummy
07-11-2002, 06:07 AM
Ok 9591 mabey you missed my point.

When I stated that question, I meant why does shi t always happen to me? Like my wreck in December, when I had to hit a guard rail to avoid a soon to be dead body, all because she decided to drive drunk, and cause a major wreck.

Also when some ***** at my skool decided to back up without looking, and proceed to run into me.

Why did insurance decided to not cover the wreck in December? Well that is some of the S hit that happens to me for no apparent reason.

orion
07-11-2002, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by dan_FL_97_SE:
thing was the fiber images hood he had (which IS quality) the cf skin separated from the fiberglass under frame(which has the latch) and flew up then folded back on itself and continued on to hit the roof.

then the underframe came up a split second later i think as he said.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Yeah...Happened to Britt, "95 S14". But to the credit of FiberImages, it looks like they determined th hood to be faulty and will be replacing it free of charge. But his roof has $1800 in damage (cut it off, weld on a new one).

It was pretty nasty - He was running ~110 side by side with another guy and we were all at a lookout spot about 1/10 of a mile away when we hear what sounds like a flat tire - It was really his hood slamming the roof and them flapping in the wind.

We had been talking about pinning it for a long time, just never went out and did it. Damn...

Scary thing is that hood was on my car for ~6 weeks - And I did a lot of highway racing with our Supra guys when I had it on.

Later - Brian

Glenn_Sato
07-11-2002, 06:29 AM
Sorry to hear about that dude...

Something similar happend when I was riding with JDM Rice to carl's jr, but no major damage, we were laughing about it after.

We were just driving along until I notice a nice Miata, roll bar and everything going onto the freeway and noticed the hood was propped up, and I said the Richard, "Hahahaha... Check out that car... Didn't your hood come up on you on freeway like that?" And he was like "yeah, it did, hahahahahha..." Then like 3 seconds later WHAM! His hood comes flying up, luckily he was doing like 30 mph on the street at the time. It was funny as hell though.

-glenn

07-11-2002, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by s14alex:
Ok 9591 mabey you missed my point.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]PM sent your way.

kolo101
07-11-2002, 09:47 AM
i have a fiber images hood, its soo beautiful i wouldn't dream of driving w/o hood pins! but i almost cried when i took that drill to my hood, thats the stuff nightmares are made of !!!!!! images/icons/shocked.gif

95 S14
07-11-2002, 10:25 AM
Yea it was definitely one hell of a ride from 110 with stock brakes and not being able to see... Q brakes are the next mod when it gets back... kolo101 thats exactly why I didn't have the pins... but the insurance is paying for it and i got a 2002 Maxima SE to beat the piss out of for a rental HEHEHE I now know why i hate FWD cars torque steer is a pain when turning and trying to e-brake the tail end out!

later
-britt

Natty
07-11-2002, 10:31 AM
You guys are really scaring me! My bone stock s13 fastback has a little bit of hood wiggle at highway speeds and I regularly do 90mph.
Another 240sx at a small GTG had a dented roof cause his flipped up. What exactly causes this? How can I fix it?
I'd rather not install hoodpins on my car. I like a clean look and my car is stock.
Thanks,
Jeff

**DONOTDELETE**
07-11-2002, 10:48 AM
OK, just for you, since you seemed to have missed my point, I'll rephrase my comment/question:
Dunno, maybe because you don't have a car that was engineered for being driven at very high speeds, but drive as if you do? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]You guys ever watched That 70's Show? Prolly one of my favorite lines ever is Red tellin his son Eric the following:
&lt;cool Red voice&gt;"Son, bad things don't happen to you cause you're unlucky. Bad things happen to you cause you're a dumb@ss."
bwahahahaha.

[ 07-11-2002, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: hotrodder ]

RDM_II
07-11-2002, 02:39 PM
I drilled my CF hood quickly after forgetting to latch it twice. Of course my luck wouldn't let it dent the roof, it had to take out the windshield instead. I guess either one is bad, but I've learned that most glass places can't install glass for sh!t. My moulding is still all wavy, and there's a thick coating of urethane on the inside edge of the a-pillar covers that won't scrape off. Britt, good to hear they're covering yours, I should have called when mine went South. Damn.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-11-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by YellowS14:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Originally posted by rotaryknight:

So things could have been worse.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]that wouldnt also be the car in a magazine a few years ago titled BAD JU-JU is it....that guy had the worst luck...roof/hood exactly as you described, then he got jacked coming back from a show(luckily all his friends were in equally fast cars behind him....they caught him)...then he parked on grass and cought on fire.....every time something bad happens to me i just remember him...and i feel better images/icons/wink.gif

TroyC images/icons/cool.gif </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Yea that's Tony's car. I was right behind him when the hood flew up. He swerved across 3 lanes of traffic it was a miracle that he didn't hit anyone. Funny thing is that we got to the show unbolted his hood and put it on top his roof.

Basically it looked like he was trying to show off his engine bay....he ended up taking 3rd place even with all the crap the happend on the way down.

MiamiGrinch240
07-11-2002, 02:54 PM
Britt: You should have them reimburse you for the damage it casued as well as a new hood man. That could have killed you.

97 S14
07-11-2002, 03:07 PM
Alex,

Man I hate to say it but you need to give up on that car already... it's one thing after another with it and your loosing the battle. Time to call it quits on that one and start over with a fresh new 240SX (or other car if you choose). That's just IMHO.

Rownan
07-11-2002, 11:51 PM
S14alex what kind of CF hood was that for $400?

s13dummy
07-15-2002, 02:05 PM
Yea Dan I know my car is a piece. I just dont have the money to get another 240. I am stuck with this one.

And to add to my list of shi t that happens to me, Friday night, the same day that I replaced my sunroof, and right after I vacuumed all the glass shards from inside my car out, my car gets broken into. They took the quarter glass out, and all my cds. Oh and a strut bar for a Z31 that I got earlier that night, and could have really used at TMS the following day. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/frown.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
07-15-2002, 03:45 PM
<font color="red[/img]i swear by my hoodpins.. they might not be the most visualy apealing things, but they are about the most functional thing you can do to a car safety wise if you own a carbon fiber or fiberglass hood. </font color>

Society_Mike
07-15-2002, 05:02 PM
you guys crack me up.
Buying these expensive [censored] hoods, talking about not wanting to drill into them, etc. I don't know, I guess im just one that feels FRP (fiberglass) is better, its so much cheaper, just as light, plenty strong, and if anything happens its not a big deal, like when you wreck or hit a guard rail or wall. Maybe its just me but $200 something bucks for a nice looking hood won't break me when it breaks after hitting something which is exactly what a CF hood will do anyway. I just see it like.. "$2-300" or $600+"
oh and yes.. of course you should always use hood pins on a lightweight hood.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-15-2002, 05:19 PM
<font color="red[/img] you crack ME up my friend. after having the fiberglass hood primered and painted how much does the total come out to? with a carbon fiber hood all you need to do is put it on the car. less labor, same price in the end. it's all on what people want man. if you pay 300 bucks for a fiberglass hood, and i pay(ed) $500 for mine, after your hood is painted and primered it comes out to close to the same price.</font color>

</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
you guys crack me up.
Buying these expensive [censored] hoods, talking about not wanting to drill into them, etc. I don't know, I guess im just one that feels FRP (fiberglass) is better, its so much cheaper, just as light, plenty strong, and if anything happens its not a big deal, like when you wreck or hit a guard rail or wall. Maybe its just me but $200 something bucks for a nice looking hood won't break me when it breaks after hitting something which is exactly what a CF hood will do anyway. I just see it like.. "$2-300" or $600+"

[/QUOTE]

Society_Mike
07-15-2002, 06:12 PM
actually I pay less then $200 for FRP hoods with the current YEN exchange rate.
I do all labor MYSELF, I never pay someone else to do it so I never think about having other people do it. FRP hoods come prepped' and ready to paint, but I just do a quick wet sand and spray it. All of a couple hours work.

BTW.. a CF hood is meant to be painted actually.
you crack ME up my friend. after having the fiberglass hood primered and painted how much does the total come out to? with a carbon fiber hood all you need to do is put it on the car. less labor, same price in the end. it's all on what people want man. if you pay 300 bucks for a fiberglass hood, and i pay(ed) $500 for mine, after your hood is painted and primered it comes out to close to the same price

[/QUOTE]

**DONOTDELETE**
07-15-2002, 06:15 PM
<font color="red[/img] well yeah, thats very understandable, but i'm talking about the average joe. not everyone knows how to spray, and not everyone can get get hoods that cheap. Sure, if you have the means to do so, then go for it, but most people don't, and thats what i was refering to </font color>

actually I pay less then $200 for FRP hoods with the current YEN exchange rate.
I do all labor MYSELF, I never pay someone else to do it so I never think about having other people do it. FRP hoods come prepped' and ready to paint, but I just do a quick wet sand and spray it. All of a couple hours work.

[/QUOTE]

s13dummy
07-16-2002, 10:20 AM
Well, my former hood was used with a lot of sun damage.

fsae_alum
07-20-2002, 07:09 PM
I fully agree with gettin the hood pins. They were an absolute must for the CF hood on my S13. I will however recommend that you DO NOT get the chrome locking hood pins that they sell at Pep Boys. They suck like you wouldn't believe.