PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't it be nice if the new Z is AWD

Mo
09-09-2000, 01:31 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if the new Z is AWD just like Skyline GT-R?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-09-2000, 03:50 PM
No.

thearabian
09-09-2000, 04:39 PM
Yes, as an option, but not the 1st year

Mel E Bog
09-09-2000, 04:51 PM
Yeah, it might be cool but that would be treading on what I feel is Skyline GT-R territory. I'm hoping that Nissan/Renault/Infiniti can bring over the GT-R even as a low volume sales car that just shows off the technology that they have available similar to how the NSX does for Acura. And if they can outsell the NSX then more power to them. But I guess thats just a pipe dream. Oh well. Don't wake me up.

Mel

Mo
09-10-2000, 02:29 AM
Both NSX and GT-R R35 will be V8 in '03 which is the same year the new Z will hit the dealer show room. Also, GT-R would not be AWD and since the Z car will be taking 6cyl category why not have it available in AWD. To me Nissan needs to have at list one AWD sport's car and why not do the Z with a new and batter engine.

The main reason the GT-R is doing this well is not because of its HP, it is because of AWD.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-21-2000, 05:56 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mo:
Wouldn't it be nice if the new Z is AWD just like Skyline GT-R?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Definitely NO!!
AWD, will make the new Z: 1- over priced. 2- over weighted.
...and make it an option will make the project costly too!
Leave the new Z as simple as can be... http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/wink.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
09-21-2000, 01:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mo:
Both NSX and GT-R R35 will be V8 in '03 which is the same year the new Z will hit the dealer show room. Also, GT-R would not be AWD and since the Z car will be taking 6cyl category why not have it available in AWD. To me Nissan needs to have at list one AWD sport's car and why not do the Z with a new and batter engine.

The main reason the GT-R is doing this well is not because of its HP, it is because of AWD. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What makes u think the GT-R will not be 4wd? it always has been 4wd, and probably always will!

**DONOTDELETE**
09-21-2000, 03:03 PM
Now that would be great http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/grin.gif , it would be the first time Nissan makes a real sport car good for all year driving in Canada. And imagine http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/shocked.gif one could even use a Z to beat Subaru in raly http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/blush.gif , that would turn the industries eyes.

Please bring a AWD Z to North America!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Marc95GXE (edited 09-21-2000).]

Mo
09-23-2000, 07:25 PM
For Vspec,
Check this out '01 will be the last model to have the rb26dett engine. http://www.geocities.com/busybeetoys/scoop/edn21.htm

For Marc95GXE,
Since Skyline no longer will be AWD in í02 Nissan need make the Z AWD. However, if they do offer a AWD version of the Z it would be a dream. It would dominate street, track and rally.

Deadpool
09-23-2000, 07:48 PM
i dont think its a good idea to believe busybeetoys

**DONOTDELETE**
09-23-2000, 11:19 PM
hell no man

AWD WEIGHS TOO MUCH

if this car is gonna be fast... it needs to be UNDER 3000lbs... like 2800ish or so
screw AWD.... top speed with AWD SUCKS

**DONOTDELETE**
09-24-2000, 10:36 AM
I agree no AWD because it will be too much weight and will add too much cost to the cars production. Also, they said they are gonna use Z DNA or whatever they called it which means they are following the rules set previously by the Z and creating just some slight changes. Making the car AWD instead of rear wheel would be a HUGE change and would not be like any other Z made, more like a skyline, so it aint gonna happen.

Hey IRL, would you by chance be the same IRL as over at the Celica Files with the black (i think) gt-s?

**DONOTDELETE**
09-24-2000, 01:35 PM
For Vspec,
Check this out '01 will be the last model to have the rb26dett engine. http://www.geocities.com/busybeetoys/scoop/edn21.htm

For Marc95GXE,
Since Skyline no longer will be AWD in í02 Nissan need make the Z AWD. However, if they do offer a AWD version of the Z it would be a dream. It would dominate street, track and rally.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the R34 is going to be the last model with the RB26DETT, what i said was it will still be 4wd, i never said it would still be powered by the RB26DETT.

Mo
09-25-2000, 12:35 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Speaker90TT:
hell no man

AWD WEIGHS TOO MUCH

if this car is gonna be fast... it needs to be UNDER 3000lbs... like 2800ish or so
screw AWD.... top speed with AWD SUCKS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Germanyís highway and it did not even toped out, it went well over 170 miles per hour. The car that has the record is Porsche 911 turbo with AWD and it was around 175 miles per hour. Do not quote me on this, I read it some where I canít remember where.

Mo
09-25-2000, 12:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Speaker90TT:
hell no man

AWD WEIGHS TOO MUCH

screw AWD.... top speed with AWD SUCKS<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
What are you talking about? Did you know what is the top end on Skyline? They did a test on it in Germanyís highway and it did not even toped out, it went well over 170 miles per hour. The car that has the record is Porsche 911 turbo with AWD and it was around 175 miles per hour. Do not quote me on this, I read it some where I canít remember where.

Mo
09-25-2000, 07:25 PM
I am telling you R35 will not be AWD; it will be rear wheel drive. I think it will have too much HP to be AWD, it is supposed to have around 450HP.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-26-2000, 11:13 AM
Too much power? Yes it is supposed to be like 400-450 but that doesn't really sound like too much power if there are other tuned up awd cars like porches and stuff. plus, people upgrade the r34 right? are you telling me there is not a single skyline that is over 400hp in all of japan and anywhere else its available?

And i don't think anyone is saying you can't make a fast top end awd car. they are just saying if the z is to be under 30,000 with 300hp then if it is awd it isn't gonna be able to meet the requirements.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-26-2000, 08:54 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if the new Z is AWD just like Skyline GT-R?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes..and then lets add twin turbos,4 wheel steering,all aluminum construction,etc....then 2 years after the cars launched (with a $$$ price tag),we can all mourn the Z cars loss and wait for Nissan to resurect it in another 7-10 years.If they keep the car simple it should thrive.

Mel E Bog
09-27-2000, 12:18 AM
Actually 450 isn't really too much for AWD. The Skyline in Japan has been taken up regularly to 650hp. I believe theres also an AWD exotic... can't remember if it was a Lambo or a Ferrari... but its AWD and 650hp.. I think. So 450hp with and AWD vehicle isn't an insane amount of power.

Mel

Mo
09-27-2000, 12:23 AM
Okay this is what I am saying; maybe we did not understand each other. The next GT-R (R35) will be 8 cyl. and will drop the name Skyline and AWD. So it will be RWD making 450hp. What I am suggesting is that since R35 will nolonger be AWD Nissan needs to make the new Z AWD at list as an option. Just like the old Z had two flavors (regular and TT), the new Z should have one too. The new Z will come out the same year the GT-R will be upgraded to R35.

If the GT-R keeps the AWD option and still become 8 cyl. the price would have to go up. The only way to keep the same price range is by dropping AWD. R35 will be a lot more complicated then R34 if it become AWD and will be the only sport car with 8 cyl. and AWD.

Guys donít forget the base price on the Z will be under 30k, which does not mean it will not go above 30K. For example, my truck (Frontier) the base price for my truck is around 12k then once you add all the options, Crew Cub and 4x4 the truck costs around 25k. So if you what all the options on your new Z expect to pay over 30k.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-28-2000, 01:44 PM
Okay this is what I am saying; maybe we did not understand each other. The next GT-R (R35) will be 8 cyl. and will drop the name Skyline and AWD. So it will be RWD making 450hp. What I am suggesting is that since R35 will nolonger be AWD Nissan needs to make the new Z AWD at list as an option. Just like the old Z had two flavors (regular and TT), the new Z should have one too. The new Z will come out the same year the GT-R will be upgraded to R35.

If the GT-R keeps the AWD option and still become 8 cyl. the price would have to go up. The only way to keep the same price range is by dropping AWD. R35 will be a lot more complicated then R34 if it become AWD and will be the only sport car with 8 cyl. and AWD.

Guys donít forget the base price on the Z will be under 30k, which does not mean it will not go above 30K. For example, my truck (Frontier) the base price for my truck is around 12k then once you add all the options, Crew Cub and 4x4 the truck costs around 25k. So if you what all the options on your new Z expect to pay over 30k.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Where did you get this information that the GT-R will drop 4wd, all reports I have heard is that it will retain AWD because the race version needs it. Also we have Skyline GT-R's cruising around with over 1000hp, so I don't know what you mean 450hp is over the top for awd. I'm very interested to hear where you are getting this info.

Mel E Bog
09-28-2000, 01:47 PM
I think he got it from Mag X. I read the same thing that the next GT-R, which may be a seperate vehicle from the Skyline, will based off the XVL platform and be a RWD vehicle with no option for AWD. But it is speculation and it hasn't been set in stone as far as I know. Unless there is some other source to confirm this.

Mel

ant_marter
09-28-2000, 07:12 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mel E Bog:
I think he got it from Mag X. I read the same thing that the next GT-R, which may be a seperate vehicle from the Skyline, will based off the XVL platform and be a RWD vehicle with no option for AWD. But it is speculation and it hasn't been set in stone as far as I know. Unless there is some other source to confirm this.

Mel<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From interpretation of a lot of rumours, my pick is that the XVL is the next Skyline. And isn't the next Z also supposed to be built on the XVL platform?

I reckon the GT-R and Z are going to share a shortened (?) XVL platform, which means that if the GT-R is AWD, apart from bodywork considerations there is no reason why the Z couldn't also have an AWD option. Would be costly and heavy though!

Re AWD, keep in mind that the bulk of Skylines (non GT-R models) are actually RWD.

**DONOTDELETE**
09-29-2000, 01:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ant_marter:
From interpretation of a lot of rumours, my pick is that the XVL is the next Skyline. And isn't the next Z also supposed to be built on the XVL platform?
The XVL is supposed 2b the new laurel, but the Skyline will also be based on that same platform, and yes the Z is also based on the XVL.
I reckon the GT-R and Z are going to share a shortened (?) XVL platform, which means that if the GT-R is AWD, apart from bodywork considerations there is no reason why the Z couldn't also have an AWD option. Would be costly and heavy though!

Re AWD, keep in mind that the bulk of Skylines (non GT-R models) are actually RWD.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
09-30-2000, 11:05 PM
Who really cares, the new Z does NOT need to be AWD period! Why bugger up a good thing before it's even come to exist?? To put it plain and simple, the new Z is not about AWD and twin turbos. And I'm very grateful it isnt! If you're going to give the new Z twin turbos and AWD, might as well give it 3 tier super wings, and 6" skirt extensions.

[This message has been edited by HammerMan (edited 09-30-2000).]

Mo
10-01-2000, 09:47 PM
The main reason I want the new Z to have AWD option is because I know most of us will mod our Z and make around 500hp. Then the biggest problem we will have is traction. However, if the car already comes with AWD we donít have to worry about it. Then who cares if the car carries extra 200Ė300lb., as long as I am putting all the power to the ground.

This engine is waiting to be modified, and I am sure some of us will be making up to 1k hp.

thearabian
10-02-2000, 07:35 AM
I know most of us will mod our Z and make around 500hp.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

haha speak for yourself http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif
i bet more than 90% of buyers won't modify the car, i even bet at least 25% of people wont even open the hood for a while!!

dfw_alan
10-02-2000, 02:55 PM
If you want an AWD Z, then build your own and realize how expensive it is. Yes some japanese people with unlimited $$$ have already done this conversion to thier Z.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-03-2000, 11:55 AM
Not many people here in NZ modify Z cars, if u want to modify, you would usually get a Skyline gts-t or GT-R. I don't think many people will bother modifying the new Z, I reckon it should stay Rwd.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-04-2000, 05:39 PM
A lot of people will modify the new z, at least in the usa, but that isnt a reason for awd. also, even though a lot will modify a lot more wont. we are living in the age of uninformed masses. only like 10% (if even that) know how a car really works!!!!. There will be a lot of people that buy the car cuz it LOOKS COOL. and then there will be a smaller percentage of us that will buy it cuz it looks cool, goes fast, has a good platform, is reliable, and etc.

Mo
10-05-2000, 05:10 PM
Hi dacman, if you are saying Awd is expensive check out Subaru Impresa WRX and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI they both are AWD and cost around 30k. Another thing, why would Japanese people convert their Z to AWD they already have a better car Skyline GT-R.

dfw_alan
10-05-2000, 05:59 PM
You are comparing a scapple to a a saw. The Skyline (as does the porsche's AWD) uses an advanced computer controlled torque split system.

Why would the japanese convert a Z to AWD, because they simply can that is why.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-22-2000, 05:22 PM
I am telling you R35 will not be AWD; it will be rear wheel drive. I think it will have too much HP to be AWD, it is supposed to have around 450HP.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

too much HP? the Top Secret Skyline, which was tuned by Top Secret(hence the name) has close to 1200HP!

**DONOTDELETE**
10-22-2000, 06:37 PM
Veilside is 1300 plus. That's the "street" BNR34.

**DONOTDELETE**
10-22-2000, 06:39 PM
"Smokey" Yamamoto's cars are nice though, Top Secret tokyo