PDA

View Full Version : Unanswered Question

Mo
11-26-2000, 08:08 AM
I have been asking my self this question for a while and could not come up with any answer beside insurance reasons. How come stock 300Zx TT makes more HP then stock Skyline GT-R, GT-R is suppose to be the next step up? I would make sonse if it had around 400HP. I already know that GT-R could easily be mod to make over 1000HP.

Mohammed

**DONOTDELETE**
11-26-2000, 08:50 AM
Might have something to do with the 280hp limit in Japan and the fact that the Z was sold more in the U.S. market.

dfw_alan
11-26-2000, 10:51 AM
Stock Z doesn't make more HP than a stock Skyline. In Japan both cars are rated at 280PS. On the dyno with the fuse pulled for RWD the Skyline Puts out more power than the Z dispite more drive train loss because of the AWD system.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-26-2000, 07:19 PM
One big rumor is that the skyline is actually more than 276HP it is just marked at that. Even if that isn't true it doesn't always matter what HP it is. The skyline is a step up because of it having an absolutely amazing steering system that lets it spank many other cars in the corners while maintaining a stock 0-60 of I believe 5.2 seconds. So although the USA Z is listed at 300HP (japan should still be 276 or so) it isn't as fast and good driver vs good driver should always lost to a skyline. The other fact is the imposed 280hp limit in japan. If you look around the acura nsx, the skyline, supra, all of em are 280 or less, usually 276hp. But this is actually a good thing because it has made them able to make amazingly fast cars with very low horsepower.

**DONOTDELETE**
11-26-2000, 09:55 PM
just go to http://www.webticks.com/igorsush/gt-r.htm

the stock GT-R makes around 350hp if the chip is taken off of the engine. 280hp is governor in Japan, with very few exceptions. For example Nismo 400R has 400hp, but it costs around $100 grand in Japan.

TitaniusMaximus
11-26-2000, 11:47 PM
In Japan there is a unwritten rule among the manufacturers that won't let them advertise their cars having more than 280PS (which equals to around 276HP)... back in the developmental stages of the Z32TT, Nissan decided to make it 300HP cuz it seemed like a good marketing strategy (300ZX - 300HP)... but around the same time they were developing the R32 Skyline GT-R which made around the same HP but didn't make it to the US cuz the internal fighting between the Z faction and the Nissan Prince (GT-R) faction... the GT-R weighed less than the 300ZX so it had better performance numbers... while the GT-R was tearin' up the Austrailian and Japanese Touring circuit the Z was eating up the US and Europe circuit...

BTW... the R34 GT-R's best 0-60 time is 4.6 sec... and the Z's best time is 5.2 sec... but it is widely known that the GT-R's power is closer to 340HP...