PDA

View Full Version : Nissan-submitted Z sketch on autonews.com???

jeffreymp
01-03-2001, 12:13 PM
Check this out if you've not already...
Doesn't look too far off the recent Japanese magazine depiction that looks so 'shopped...
http://www.autonews.com/html/main/index.html

**DONOTDELETE**
01-03-2001, 02:10 PM
The main difference, as I see it, is that this sketch has a windshield that is more steeply sloped, and the wheel arches are less angular and edgy. The magazine depiction took an actual photo of an Audi TT and photoshopped it to look as much like the sketch as possible. The slope of the windshield makes the back look less sloped, and makes it look like a Z, IMHO.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-03-2001, 05:21 PM
the cab is too far forward, compared to a 240z. oh well, aerodynamic and safety concerns, i guess.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-03-2001, 07:28 PM
whenever there are sketches of cars/trucks, the windshield and the front fascia generally are much more sloped than they turn out to be in production. look at the sketches of the fullsize truck, it's front end is very sloped for a truck. i doubt the finished product will be that way

sonnym
01-03-2001, 08:22 PM
hey Nsuguy, where did you see the sketch of the full-size truck? Could you please post the link or pic here?

Thanks in advance.

Infiniti
01-03-2001, 08:23 PM
Well maybe so, weel have to wait of course. But Nissan says the sketch accuratley depicts the actual car. Hopefully, they are right.

GTR
01-03-2001, 08:57 PM
is it just me, or does the front bumper seem to have a mask photoshopped over the original air dam?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-03-2001, 09:07 PM
It's not just you. I wonder if this has something to do with the statement made by someone at Nissan that the front would be what would really be great. Maybe they're hiding it slightly in the sketch they released.

I agree that in concept drawings the windshields are usually more sloped, but I think that the magazine picture was so upright that anything would be better. The windshield in the sketch reminds me of the Z32.

GTR
01-03-2001, 09:20 PM
the way the front is masked really boxes out the front and is very disappointing. i bet the revealed front bumper is gonna be a kickass design.

SHIFT_6speeds
01-03-2001, 10:06 PM
The front bumper looks great. Nice, Simple and Sturdy looking. I think it looks photo shopped to some for that the artists rendering is of light and shadow on the front end to try and instill depth to the image.

What I notice of concept drawings is the roofline is always drastically lower, wheels always just huge, and a-pillars are drastically sloped on all artists concept renderings. But overall I like this new Z...alot! http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif

JonCarson
01-04-2001, 12:29 AM
The over exagerated size of wheels in conceptual sketches always disappoints me.

I also like the front end in that drawing. Simple, clean, strong, functional. Leave flashiness to aftermarket companies when they start to work on aero parts for the car.

All in all, I think the "Z" in that sketch looks very nice. It has enough of it's own style to quite everyone who loves to say, "This looks too Audi" and "That looks too Porsche".

To me, it looks like a Nissan Sports car for the new millenium. Excellent potential for greatness....in it's design, at least.

Nismo
01-04-2001, 01:39 AM
http://207.191.68.15/drq768/Z_Drawing.jpg

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 09:17 AM
IMO, this concept looks incredible. Talk about a far cry from that hideous thing they were calling a "Z" a year or so ago. I also think they've masked the frontend in this sketch. If Nissan has their act together, which so far it looks like they do, we will be in for a real treat at the Detroit autoshow. If they can pull it off, Nissan will enjoy a quick turnaround via the younger performance & value-oriented market, a-la the original 240z. Now, Nissan, just *BUILD IT*, price it reasonably, ...and i'll happily be in line to buy one, as will many other people I know.

[This message has been edited by datz510 (edited 01-04-2001).]

240fan
01-04-2001, 10:09 AM
tell me honestly is this more grown up looking?
http://www.gis.net/~formula1/zcar.jpg
I dont need celica hood and lights on a 30k car do you?

Deadpool
01-04-2001, 10:16 AM
240fan, your concept look pretty sharp but for some reason, the head lights doesnt go with the whole car. I like the Nissan concept better. Now keep in mind that what Nissan gave us is a rough sketch. I am sure the car will look much better when it comes out. And i am pretty sure that the lights wont look a whole lot like celica. It might have a same shape but thats not a bad thing. And I dont know about you but, I wouldnt judge my decision to buy the new Z soley on how the headlights look. I think you should consider the value and what you are getting. If its under 25K with a worlds most advanced V6 engine with lots of power, you should consider that also. And consider its heritage. But thats just me, you do what ever you like, its your money.

240fan
01-04-2001, 10:18 AM
thanks IRL, I wasnt going to base my decision on just lights but, it looks an awful lot like a celica with that vee in the hood.
I sure hope this is more bait from nissan so they can surprise us with a great car next monday.

any word on engine yet?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 10:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by datz510:
IMO, this concept looks incredible. Talk about a far cry from that hideous thing they were calling a "Z" a year or so ago. I also think they've masked the frontend in this sketch. If Nissan has their act together, which so far it looks like they do, we will be in for a real treat at the Detroit autoshow. If they can pull it off, Nissan will enjoy a quick turnaround via the younger performance & value-oriented market, a-la the original 240z. Now, Nissan, just *BUILD IT*, price it reasonably, ...and i'll happily be in line to buy one, as will many other people I know.

[This message has been edited by datz510 (edited 01-04-2001).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it's totally ironic how close the sketch and the magazine photo are (many have admitted this in their replies); and yet everyone says how crappy the magazine photo is and how awesome the sketch is. There is more than a little hypocracy going on...

The pricing of a car here (northwest) usually is determined by how expensive (nice?) it looks (tacking on $10000 to an S2000 is very common), so there is little or no hope of being able to afford a car that "looks" as expensive as the Z concept. Another example is the local Pontiac dealer selling a 2000 Firebird Formula for $9000 more than MSRP. While Firebirds do have lots of HP, they aren't a precision instrument... I'm hoping the Z will be. With limited production, you can say goodbye to any $25K pricetag at 300hp with awesome handling.. try $35K, even if MSRP is lower.

We'll know sometime in the future... I expect that I won't be able to afford one, even though I would snap it up at $25K.

2HD
01-04-2001, 11:17 AM
I think I figured out why the door handle looks like that!

Because the door slides open!!!

If you look at the ridges on top of the hood going into the headlights, it looks as if it meant for the door to ride on it when it slides forward.

Infiniti
01-04-2001, 12:51 PM
Um, 2HD, Id have to disagree. That line from the headlights, not the hood line, to me is showing its wide shoulders. And that door handle is like the Ford Probes door handle and even the Pathfinders! Its just a vertical design, I like the way the handle looks. I like the whole skecth and I liked that fake sketch (as I have said millions of times), I dont know why people make such a big gripe about that door handle.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 02:08 PM
I agree with Zzealous. The magazine photo gave a general idea of the direction of the design, but subtle nuances can make a huge difference in the way a design comes together. And the overexagerated size of wheels in conceptual sketches always disappoints me, too.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 02:59 PM
Overal a great looking design, but the front end is too bland looking for some reason. If the turn signals on the side there were deleted I think it would look much better.

[This message has been edited by HammerMan (edited 01-04-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 03:50 PM
The design is very cool. It is looks a lot more muscular than its Japanese competitors plus, if the performance is anywhere close to the Skyline, than this car will be a hit!

Good Job Nissan!

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 04:03 PM
http://www.zzealous.homestead.com/files/images/NewZ.jpg
http://207.191.68.15/drq768/Z_Drawing.jpg the sketch looks a mile better.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 05:32 PM
It's as if this sketch adressed my earlier concerns:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Just to clarify, I didn't mean that the car was a fake or real based on the 'filler cap theory', what I meant was that we might be looking at slightly different phases of a concept here.
Does anyone else feel that the fronts of the front fender flares stick out too much? I've always been a fan of flares that don't present a forward 'profile', only a slow progression outward from the nose - a la 944 and later (by no accident) on the S13.

Hopefully Nissan will accept feedback and ratify before it goes to market. As long as the basics are underneath, the rest can be easily changed.

This car is so close to looking real good, IMHO, that only a few minor tweaks are needed:

1) The aforementioned fender flare thing. Those front ones gotta go.

2) Unclutter the front end. The Z32 and S13 are good looking cars with uncluttered front ends - and still look good today. 'Edgy' styling is like manufactured pop music - it might sell like hotcakes today, but it will look like dog $hit in ten years to most people. Would it be a seppuku-worthy offense to use the Z32 lights? On a slightly smaller scale, probably not.

3) Shorten that rear deck. While a sharper rear dropoff might make it look EXACTLY like a 911 out back instead of inspired by it, I think it'd be worth the risk simply to remove any pretense about this car being a 2+2. It must be a 2-seater for the rear wheels to move forward. And if it still screams Porsche, then the rear can be 'unbulged' a little.

All of this could even shave a few pounds off, too, as well as sleeking the whole thing out a little and harking back to the 240Z a little with the long hood and short deck.

I'm all for moving forward with cars that have been around forever. The much-needed freshening up of GM's F-body in '93, while pushing its price past the point of respectability, rekindled interest in the design. But, by the same token, if your styling department can't come up with anything timeless or even original, then it's time to look rearward - if only for a few years.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 07:08 PM
Only thing I want is I want the wheels from the picture not the sketch. I think that the sketch seems to have a longer hood and a shorter rear which is what I wanted.

Being the previous owner of a z31 and the current owner of a 2k celica I do not feel that the hood is celica and more Z. For the shape in the middle of the hood it is raised with no scoop not raised and then lowered like a celica. My 300zx had a raised center in its hood which brought focus to the Z emblem at the end of the hood which is how this one is. The lights on the Zs were never full pop-ups like an rx-7 they either were exposed partially and popped up the rest or they were fully exposed lights. These are fully exposed lights they are just a much more flowing shape (its called evolution). Take the Z32s lights, thin em a little, and stretch em back and you have these lights.

For the modified sketch I wanna say, good idea, but doesn't match the car. And as I mentioned earlier the Z never had full pop-ups. The z31 had pop-ups but they were half exposed.

GTR
01-04-2001, 08:27 PM
regarding the really big wheels: remember when it was said that the z would have looks that really focus on the wheels? if so, the sketch probably depicts what the z will look like fairly accurately.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 08:34 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverGT:
Only thing I want is I want the wheels from the picture not the sketch.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i agree, i dont like the look of chrome wheels on it. it looks like those wheels belong on a 300M.

GTR
01-04-2001, 09:04 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by top secret skyline:
i agree, i dont like the look of chrome wheels on it. it looks like those wheels belong on a 300M.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think he meant that he wants the wheels. http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
01-04-2001, 11:18 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTR:

i think he meant that he wants the wheels. http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
no, he said that he didnt want the wheels in the sketch. the wheels in the sketch are chrome.

GTR
01-04-2001, 11:35 PM
chrome? i dont think so. looks alloy to me.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-05-2001, 01:07 AM
z32d00d,

I really don't think its a case of hypocrisy. That last fake pic took elements of the audiTT and celica threw in some photoshop skills and tried to give us a styling direction for the new Z. The very prominent TT/Celica car elements is what the objections were for. No one wants a car that is a straight copy cat of another car let alone a fusion of two main car competitors. The Nissan pic is much more refined and will without doubt will look better in person, farther removed from the competition than we might think IMO.

You have to admit that the Nissan rendering is not quite the same as that fake pic but the fake pic did a good job of pointing out a general direction of styling for those of us who at the time did not have any idea of the styling direction.

The Nissan rendering sets the record straight. The unveiling will be the first hand record for us all and I think that Nissan has a hit.

Zzealous

[This message has been edited by Zzealous (edited 01-04-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
01-05-2001, 08:00 AM
I think the sketch looks great, and definitely looks like a Z. I see elements of both the original and the Z32, which were the 2 best Z designs. If I saw it on the street I would immediately think "Z", which is the effect that the chief designer is going for. I hope the new concept and the eventual production model stay close to the sketch. If it looks like this and has power and performance to back up the looks, my faith in Nissan will have been rewarded.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-05-2001, 12:39 PM
The sketch does look better but the other doesn't look bad either.