PDA

View Full Version : Z32 versus Z33 -- styling and performance

**DONOTDELETE**
01-07-2001, 05:55 PM
for styling, i like the Z33. i think it's a modern design and looks very upscale. the Z32 is getting a bit old to look at

performance is speculative of course, but i'm thinking the Z33 will be the better car. i'm predicting that it will have more hp per pound, resulting in better 1/4 mile times. i'm predicting it'll handle better as well, looks like a smaller car. the Z32 was way too heavy for its 300hp to compete with corvettes (which were in its price range). i've read rumors that the Z33 will weigh much less and have similar power

what do you guys think?

**DONOTDELETE**
01-07-2001, 07:41 PM
I think your right! http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nsuguy:
for styling, i like the Z33. i think it's a modern design and looks very upscale. the Z32 is getting a bit old to look at

performance is speculative of course, but i'm thinking the Z33 will be the better car. i'm predicting that it will have more hp per pound, resulting in better 1/4 mile times. i'm predicting it'll handle better as well, looks like a smaller car. the Z32 was way too heavy for its 300hp to compete with corvettes (which were in its price range). i've read rumors that the Z33 will weigh much less and have similar power

what do you guys think?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
01-08-2001, 12:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nsuguy:

what do you guys think?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually when the Z32 first came out it competed very well against the C4, several magazines picked the Z over the Vette through the mid 90's.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2001, 01:03 AM
I think the Z33 is really only trendier, and even at that really not so original borrowing almostly entirely all its styling cues already seen on other cars. The Z32 on the other hand was an original in so many ways, being radically different in styling and performance that borrowed little even from previous Z's. This also shows how crucial true originality and class may be_ you may not even need to copy previous Z's as long as the new one is clearly the cut above. The Z32 enhanced Z-heritage, and though now aged, even today it still cuts a classic in it's own right.
I believe most loyalists are thus justified in feeling a bit let down (and please dont say people are living in the past!). In essence the Z33 comes across as neither much of a distinct evolution nor a revolution as one would have expected - I dare say, hardly a classic. Herein lies the major weakness of the design.
Personally I believe Nissan had reason to try to reach a wider, younger generation, but downgrading the Z couldn't have been the means for this. I'd take the Z33 concept very happily for an alternative new nissan model, but not as a replacement/continuation for the Z, especially the Z32 at this current moment.

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2001, 07:26 AM
Can we honestly compare these two yet?The Z33 is still a concept car as far as styling goes...yes they say it looks close,but they are still changing some things,and even minor changes can make the whole car look different.As far as performance goes...300+ HP was what I was told with a normally aspirated engine.I havent seen the Z33 in person,but she looks smaller and lighter than a Z32 to me. I have loved all Z cars,but I do have an order of preference for the bodystyles: #1 70-78 Z
#2 90-96 Z32
#3 79-83 280zx
#4 84-89 300zx
The Z33,depending on how it looks when completed..could be #2 or #3 in my "style meter"

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2001, 09:20 AM
I'd still have to go with the Z32. I just don't think the Z33orZ350 can be compared to the Z32. The Z32 is more of a sports car to me anyway. my .02

**DONOTDELETE**
01-15-2001, 06:10 PM
i think this new Z will stand out much more than the Z32. the Z32 doesn't have the edginess of the Z33 imo. not enough to turn any heads of non-nissan fanatics. this new Z looks very edgy, and most likely will turn the heads of all car fans.

and the Z32 was way too heavy. hopefully this new car will weigh much less

**DONOTDELETE**
01-20-2001, 08:35 PM
Hey, don't say the Z32 was way too heavy, the weight was there to save your butt in case of any accidents, plus all the technology that nissan had in that time era went into the Z32, which made it heavy, but if you took all that tech out and went with only basic tech like 70's or 80's cars. I bet the Z32 would weigh only as much as a NSX or lighter( I rather have luxury, comfort, handling, and speed all in one package). Most early 90 sports car didn't even come close in term of technology as the Z32 did. So stop dogging the Z32 just cuz it was heavy. I rather have a smooth line to line Z than a jagged up one.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-18-2001, 11:29 AM
Come one guys....don't you think then 350 looks like an Audi TT? Nissan ripped the TT design and changed a few things. Sure, it looks great, but everyone I've asked about the 350 actually thinks it's a TT until I explain to then that it's actually a Nissan....I'd say the 350z looks too much like the Audi TT? Reflections?

Thanks,
Codex.

MaximaBoy2000
02-18-2001, 11:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PowerZ:
Hey, don't say the Z32 was way too heavy, the weight was there to save your butt in case of any accidents, plus all the technology that nissan had in that time era went into the Z32, which made it heavy, but if you took all that tech out and went with only basic tech like 70's or 80's cars. I bet the Z32 would weigh only as much as a NSX or lighter( I rather have luxury, comfort, handling, and speed all in one package). Most early 90 sports car didn't even come close in term of technology as the Z32 did. So stop dogging the Z32 just cuz it was heavy. I rather have a smooth line to line Z than a jagged up one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Besides HICAS, what other cool technologies did Nissan put into the Z32 anyway?

SHIFT_6speeds
02-19-2001, 12:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PowerZ:
Hey, don't say the Z32 was way too heavy, the weight was there to save your butt in case of any accidents, plus all the technology that nissan had in that time era went into the Z32, which made it heavy, but if you took all that tech out and went with only basic tech like 70's or 80's cars. I bet the Z32 would weigh only as much as a NSX or lighter( I rather have luxury, comfort, handling, and speed all in one package). Most early 90 sports car didn't even come close in term of technology as the Z32 did. So stop dogging the Z32 just cuz it was heavy. I rather have a smooth line to line Z than a jagged up one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the Z32 was the best looking sporting car in it's class in it's time...So if we can't say it was heavy, then I will say it was bulky. Heavy cars do not always mean safer. I thought most people understood this by now. I still love the way the Z32 looks, the best Z ever in appearance, but I thought the interior packaging was tight for such a large car.

Now, here comes the Z33. WOW! Nissan did a kick job on bringing cues of the Z's past and evovling it for a new, fresh, contemporary look. I hear the actual production model is even better looking, so we will see.

Nissan also is on the right track to make the new car lighter and less bulky and somewhat back to basic in a way. I hope the interior is packaged/designed well for the long legged and long torsoed. I am not fond of the concept's interior at all however, with the exception of the clean simple door panels.

We have to wait and see performance figures to compare these two, but my instincts tell me this will be the best Z ever... Thanks Nissan...

SHIFT_6speeds
02-19-2001, 12:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zbeast:
Actually when the Z32 first came out it competed very well against the C4, several magazines picked the Z over the Vette through the mid 90's.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember too that those years of Vette's were the worst built ones in the Vette's history. Build quality was horrible. But didn't the last Generation TT Supra later come and win over the Z in most comparisons?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-19-2001, 01:01 PM
Yes, at this point we can honestly compare these two. The Concept will be 95 or more % of what we get at this point as Nissan has only until next summer to release the new Z.

As for its originality, its as original as the Z32 when it can out. Look at other cars that were out at that time and you'll see some familier design queues. Unlike a Ferrrai or Diablo the Z32 was only going to be as original as the budget would allow for that car. It is a very nice design but paying attention to the details will show you the similarities with other car. Some before it as even tagged a Z32!

As for the weight being there to save your butt, the wieght of the Z32 has very little to do with saving your butt then being the by product of full the full creature comforts that the Z32 has.

The only way for nissan to pull a lower weight would have been to use more composit materials and engineering more hp into the engine even before adding turbos. That along with lighter rotors, and other hard items.

The weight has nothing to do with life savings as Nissan engineering the proper crash points into the body along with other safty measures.

The new Z will take more advantage of safty and weight distribution and savings then the Z32. Its looks, so far, has been admired by the auto industry ss Nissan deserves a pat on the back for this.

The biggist question will remain to be what the aftermarket can do for this car in terms of style, speed and performance.

If Nissan is right and true to their word (no reason at this point to not believe them) then this one should reign supreme ( for a time) over even the BPU Supra when it has decent modifications applied to it!

shaun
02-19-2001, 10:20 PM
i think this new Z will stand out much more than the Z32. the Z32 doesn't have the edginess of the Z33 imo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

im sorry but doesnt the current model year corvette turn plenty of heads without being "edgy" i dont see why you think the z32 doesnt turn as much heads as the z33 will. mine turned plenty of head while i had it.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-20-2001, 03:05 AM
I think that the 87+ Z31 2+2 model looked the best to tell you the truth

**DONOTDELETE**
02-20-2001, 11:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shaun:
im sorry but doesnt the current model year corvette turn plenty of heads without being "edgy" i dont see why you think the z32 doesnt turn as much heads as the z33 will. mine turned plenty of head while i had it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
well, styling is subjective, but i feel the corvette looks good because of its unique sleek, exotic look. looks like a supercar. the Z32 looked good but didn't have the exotic look of a vette, viper, or ferrari. not a bad looking car in its own though. the Z33 just looks like it will garner more attention than the Z32, kinda like the new Frontier versus older nissan trucks. the style is more adventurous

**DONOTDELETE**
02-24-2001, 05:07 PM
i say wait untill you actually see the Z33 in real life before you make judjements on its appearance. it looks like a pertty small car in pictures but it is almost the same width and length as a corvette.

SHIFT_6speeds
02-24-2001, 11:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by top secret skyline:
i say wait untill you actually see the Z33 in real life before you make judjements on its appearance. it looks like a pertty small car in pictures but it is almost the same width and length as a corvette.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...with shorter overhangs in front and rear. I can almost bet it is going to be a hell of a lot lighter than a Corvette. Better build qualiy too... http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-25-2001, 08:09 AM
Big engine + small car = go fast

**DONOTDELETE**
02-25-2001, 08:55 AM
the estimated weight is 3200lbs... right in corvette territory. at least the corvette has an extra 50-100hp to justify it :/

thearabian
02-25-2001, 07:05 PM
on another note, i hope the Z will have some kind of special exhaust

i wanna hear the difference between the Z and the Pathfinder and the new Maxima

nothing like a low sports car rumble, you know, M3'ish

**DONOTDELETE**
02-26-2001, 07:12 AM
I have no doubt that its documented somewhere thats what its estimated to weigh...But it just seems heavy to me..Why should this car weigh more than a Max? I hope that just like the "estimated HP" figure,they are also putting out a larger curb weight figure. if the true HP info wont be disclosed at this time..why trust the weight info given?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pauli:
the estimated weight is 3200lbs... right in corvette territory. at least the corvette has an extra 50-100hp to justify it :/<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

SHIFT_6speeds
02-26-2001, 09:24 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zcarnut:
I have no doubt that its documented somewhere thats what its estimated to weigh...But it just seems heavy to me..Why should this car weigh more than a Max? I hope that just like the "estimated HP" figure,they are also putting out a larger curb weight figure. if the true HP info wont be disclosed at this time..why trust the weight info given?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, I also cannot see this new Z weighing in at anywhere close to Corvette...The Vette has such a huge front over hang with heavy retractable headlamps, and it needs a skeletal frame to bolt the fibergalass panels on...and it is a GM product, meaning overweight to begin with. This New Z will be lighter than we are told to believe... I feel it will even be lighter than the Z32.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-03-2001, 07:00 PM
The new Z WILL beat the z32 in performance in all aspects, but I still don't think that the new Z will match the look of the 11 year old Z32, cause the look is so timeless, I see Z32 everyday, and I never get tired of looking at them, and I see that once the new Z comes out to production I bet it'll will fade just as fast as it came or just look like any other new cars. If you want something that looks edgey, you should go and have a long look at the new celica and focus cause they are not even close as good looking as the Z32.(girls still love my Z32, strangers come up and say that I have a great looking car, my friends still begs me to give them a ride, and when crusing around town hot girls I don't even know wave at me for no reason, must be my 11 year old car) I get tired looking at C5, they are all over the place. In my view, the C5 just looks like a bigger version of the Mazda RX7. Just some change to the front and the rear.
If I had 30K and had to decide whether to buy the new Z or to make my Z32 better looking, better handling, and faster, I would rather fix up my Z. If not either I'll take a 94 up Toyota Supra Twinturbo.

Regards......

**DONOTDELETE**
03-04-2001, 11:59 AM
The new Z WILL beat the z32 in performance in all aspects, but I still don't think that the new Z will match the look of the 11 year old Z32, cause the look is so timeless, I see Z32 everyday, and I never get tired of looking at them, and I see that once the new Z comes out to production I bet it'll will fade just as fast as it came or just look like any other new cars. If you want something that looks edgey, you should go and have a long look at the new celica and focus cause they are not even close as good looking as the Z32.(girls still love my Z32, strangers come up and say that I have a great looking car, my friends still begs me to give them a ride, and when crusing around town hot girls I don't even know wave at me for no reason, must be my 11 year old car) I get tired looking at C5, they are all over the place. In my view, the C5 just looks like a bigger version of the Mazda RX7. Just some change to the front and the rear.
If I had 30K and had to decide whether to buy the new Z or to make my Z32 better looking, better handling, and faster, I would rather fix up my Z. If not either I'll take a 94 up Toyota Supra Twinturbo.

Regards......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://people.ne.mediaone.net/x86guru/jbsc5.jpg

I like the last version of the 300z and I think the new one is awesome too..

[This message has been edited by JBsC5 (edited 03-04-2001).]

SHIFT_6speeds
03-05-2001, 06:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBsC5:

Originally posted by PowerZ:

Regards......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://people.ne.mediaone.net/x86guru/jbsc5.jpg

I like the last version of the 300z and I think the new one is awesome too..

[This message has been edited by JBsC5 (edited 03-04-2001).]

That is a great shot! That is the best angle I have seen of that Vette yet. I just do not like the nose on the thing. And the plastic Mattel interior.

Great pic.

Hasn't this C5 Vette been regarded to as the best Vette ever in Performance and Quality?

Amazing turnaround really when the C4 was about the worst in it's history (mostly due to qaulity issues). Imagine if GM was in persuit for perfection what it really could do with this car....

**DONOTDELETE**
03-05-2001, 07:18 AM
Thanks..I think you will find every car is really a compromise....in some small way..everyone has different values pertaining to car ownership..I'm pleased with the interior and the front of the car..Thats just my opinion..the cars a blast....

What this post is really about is the Nissan Z car..and I apologize for taking it somewhat off track..

I think the previous generation turbo Z was an amazing vehicle..truly a high point for sports cars..We can certainly count the number of times the turbo Z came out as top dog on many comparision tests..its overall balance was always above reproach..

I believe the new Z will take the new direction put forth by Nissan and reintroduce the brand to many new sports car enthusiasts..its lower price and fantastic combination of over 260 hp V6 (I'm thinking it will be closer to 280hp?) and under 30K pricing will make many German rivals shake in rethink their product platform..

Thats what the Z did in its original form and thats what this new version will certainly do again..

When I think of Nissan's great heritage..on the Z..I think of how it truly shook the world with its unparralled Performance value.

I look foward to the newest road tests on this "Awesome Car" Thats the heritage piece I see coming through loud and clear on this new version!

Besides..that..Nissan had the best commercials..! http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/wink.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
03-28-2001, 03:58 PM
In its age, you can really see the quality of the Z32 design. Even today, it looks like nothing else. It is one of those rare cars that have looks, performance, and quality. I have had sports cars in the past, but none have garnered the attention or admiration from me that my Z has.

I doubt we will be having this same discussion about the Z33 in 10 years. It is an awesome car in many respects, but I believe the design will get dated quickly. For those of you who love it, GREAT! I just can't quite see getting as much respect or as much attention from the ladies from the Z33 as I do with my Z32....as heavy as it is. =O)

**DONOTDELETE**
03-28-2001, 11:16 PM
its a little early to be judging a car that hasnt even been released yet. So until we see the final production version, we cant go around saying it will never be as good as the Z32.

SHIFT_6speeds
03-28-2001, 11:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zend:
In its age, you can really see the quality of the Z32 design. Even today, it looks like nothing else. It is one of those rare cars that have looks, performance, and quality. I have had sports cars in the past, but none have garnered the attention or admiration from me that my Z has.

I doubt we will be having this same discussion about the Z33 in 10 years. It is an awesome car in many respects, but I believe the design will get dated quickly. For those of you who love it, GREAT! I just can't quite see getting as much respect or as much attention from the ladies from the Z33 as I do with my Z32....as heavy as it is. =O)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree the z32 has aged rather well. The last Gen. Supra has aged extremely well also. Whenever I see one I strain my neck to get a better look. The Z32 does the same thing...but there is just something about those Supra's. maybe that they are not as frequently seen as a Z? My favorite styling part of the Z 32 is that wonderful C-pillar...just gorgeous.

Can someone post a nice side profile or aft view of a Z32 2-seater?

Nizmo
03-29-2001, 10:35 AM
Hey, my Nissan brothers...here's something for ya'll to ponder on. Which of these do ya'll think is the final bread and butter cut for the our belove Z33? Top or bottom?

http://i10.yimg.com/10/34342494/g/e433db96.jpg

I got this from busybeetoys.com (http://www.busybeetoys.com)
http://www.geocities.com/busybeetoys/scoop/s28-new-Z-real.jpg

[This message has been edited by nismoMan (edited 03-29-2001).]

[This message has been edited by nismoMan (edited 03-29-2001).]

Nizmo
03-29-2001, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nismoMan:
[B]Hey, my Nissan brothers...here's something for ya'll to ponder on. Which of these do ya'll think is the final bread and butter cut for the our belove Z33? Top or bottom?

http://i10.yimg.com/10/34342494/g/e433db96.jpg

I got this from busybeetoys.com (http://www.busybeetoys.com)
http://www.geocities.com/busybeetoys/scoop/s28-new-Z-real.jpg

Friends, sorry about the pic above. Somehow I can't (or it won't) allow me to post it here. Sorry....However, if you look at the top pic and go to Scoop (which is Busybeetoys.com), you'll find that the their interpretation of the car much different than the one I have posted here. Sorry.

Zed
03-30-2001, 02:57 PM
The Z and the vette have always been adversaries. Battling it out till the death! But with the z33 model, while I like it in its own right, doesn't seem to be a 'vette' threat it once was. I mean, they seem to be in different classes now. The new Z costs 30k. A vette at least 40k. The vette will 0-60 in 4.7 sec. The new Z, maybe 5.5-6sec. Even though I'm a Z nut for life It will be hard for me to trade my '91 tt Z for a new one. I'll be forced to upgrade it myself I suppose.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-30-2001, 03:25 PM
how 'bout upgrading to a C5?