PDA

View Full Version : Z and Skyline - What would you do?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-07-2001, 10:21 AM
If it's true that the Skyline is coming to the US soon, who would be willing to wait?

If, say, it was out in the summer/fall of 2003 and was about $10,000 - $12,000 more than the Z? Would you wait the extra year? Would you be willing to spend the extra dough? If money wasn't an issue, and they were both released at the same time, is there any other reasons why you wouldn't go for the Skyline?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-07-2001, 10:32 AM
insurance, although you did say money wasn't an issue.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-07-2001, 11:03 AM
Last thing I heard about the Skyline was the current model could NOT be converted to left hand drive.I suspect if the sports car trend gains even more in popularity (and the New Z will help decide that) then maybe we will have a Skyline here with Infiniti badges on it in the future....If Infiniti wants to regain that "sporty" image..this would certainly help!

Infiniti
02-07-2001, 01:13 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zcarnut:
Last thing I heard about the Skyline was the current model could NOT be converted to left hand drive.I suspect if the sports car trend gains even more in popularity (and the New Z will help decide that) then maybe we will have a Skyline here with Infiniti badges on it in the future....If Infiniti wants to regain that "sporty" image..this would certainly help!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The current Skyline cant be converted. Thats why the next gen Skyline, the R35, may be coming here. They may bring it as an infiniti with the Q's V8 punched out for more power. Rumors say a turboed V6 is possible but im not sure. It would HAVE to have a V8 to compete in the supercar crowd in the USA. Or else it would be what people say about the NSX, V6's dont compare in this market.

MaximaBoy2000
02-07-2001, 03:32 PM
Please enlighten me on something. Why is it a tough task to convert to left hand drive?

[This message has been edited by MaximaBoy2000 (edited 02-07-2001).]

Infiniti
02-07-2001, 05:08 PM
I dont know why exactly but I believe its because of how the steering column is and its placement with the egnine that wont allow it to be converted. Im not sure but it was explained somewhere in the Skyline forums.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-07-2001, 05:23 PM
it would be no trouble at all for nissan. as far as i know, there are no mechanical devices that will fail to function if mirrored l/r.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-07-2001, 05:40 PM
If you remember, a few months back there was talk of a touring Q with 400hp. I bet thats the same engine thats gonna find its way into the R35. Plenty enough to spank a Sc430 or the next NSX,(maybe) but I doubt it will only be $12k more than the next Z.(more like 25-30k more)

GTR
02-07-2001, 05:55 PM
i believe the gtr cannot be converted to LHD because the steering column would poke a hole in a turbo or something, but people have gotten around this and have made their gtr's LHD.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-08-2001, 05:52 AM
So if the Skyline came here as an Infinity, would it be given the next Q name in line? The Q90 or whatever the next number is?

But I guess we could just take a hairdryer and pop off the Infinity badges and glue on some Nissan and GT-R ones.

Does anyone think that bringing the Skyline to the US as an Infinity would actually hurt sales? I mean for the average car buyer, who doesn't know about the Skyline and its history, he's just going to buy this newest Infinity because it has the features he wants. When you think of Nissan, though, it has that performance history, with cars like the Z.

Is the Skyline, in Japan and Europe, a sports/luxury car? Are they going to add a bunch of luxury features to get it blend in with the rest of the Infinity line? I always thought of the Skyline as an import version of the Corvette: sure it's got a nice interior, but it's really meant for performance, not comfort. Are they going to give the dash *shudder* wood accents?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-08-2001, 09:47 AM
well, if they use the 3.5l v8 that's been speculated about, the name is obvious: r35. i think the ability to use that name is a good enough reason for it to be an infiniti http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif

oh, and wrt to performance history and image and such: guess what... every manufacturer has had successes in racing. that doesn't mean you think "yeah, my new taurus/impala/intrepid is a racing machine!" racing image goes on a per model basis. until you start talking porsche, bmw, etc, brand is irrelevant.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-08-2001, 10:31 AM
If it does come as an Infiniti (which I hope is AT LEAST 5 years from now so I could afford it http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif ), they should call it the GTRxx, xx of course being whatever displacement the engine is at the time.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-08-2001, 10:31 AM
If the Skyline (or a variant of it) ever comes to the U.S.,it will have to be a Infiniti.History has already proven that the general buying public believes 40-45 grand for a car with "Nissan" written on it is too much. You know a Skyline would cost even more,and Infiniti does have people willing to pay that much money or more (Q45) for a car. Any sports car enthusiest would know what the car "really" is reguardless,and folks who dont..they see the Infiniti badge...either way its better for the cars survival in the U.S.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-08-2001, 11:20 AM
very very true zcarnut. if it did come out a year or two after the z i would say, ill just have to get the skyline in addition to already owning the z http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif. The only problem would be deciding which to drive. I guess I would have to decide according to what i needed to do with it. Man, that would be such a wonderful decision to have to make.

There have been some LHD conversions reported, I don't know if they were ever confirmed or not. The main problem I guess is that being and transversely mounted inline 6 cylinder the engine has to be placed in the way that it is for the drivetrain and all to match up. With this fact the steering wheel set-up doesn't work out on the other side. I would say though that the main reason it isn't LHD is that it wasn't brought to the united states. That would be their main drive behind making it LHD and I am sure if they wanted to they would get it to work out.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-08-2001, 11:23 AM
what? the engine in a skyline is transverse? i thought the 2wd models were rwd?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-08-2001, 11:30 AM
If the Skyline came to America, I'd take it ove a Z any day. However, if the rumors I hear about it coming as a 400hp+ Infiniti, chances are it would be so expensive that a Skyline or Z comparison wouldn't even be that reasonable. As for the engine, I hope the rumors I've heard about it having an engine based on the R390 are true.
http://members.tripod.com/yankitman

**DONOTDELETE**
02-08-2001, 03:36 PM
The most cost effective way to make a Skyline LHD is probably to wait untill its redesigned..Then start from scratch with LHD in mind..Im sure Nissan when they designed it had no intentions of bringing the current one here..A DOHC straight 6,twin turbos,awd system in a tight platform like that cant have alot of room too move around steering components!

Infiniti
02-08-2001, 05:26 PM
Zcarnut...thats exactly what they are doing now. http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/grin.gif

thearabian
02-08-2001, 06:52 PM
just got an idea:

next skyline,

Let it be 4WD
Let it be LHD
let it be an Infiniti
let it have 2 trims
Let one be the R35: 3.5 L V8, 320 HP, must be a sleek looking coupe, no exagerated fenders, wings etc, it needs a luxurious interior...
Let the other be the R35 GT-R: 3.5 L V8 TT, 425 HP, full blown sports car, lowered, crossed drilled rotors, wing, large airdam, sport interior
Letsell one for 45, the other for 55-60

the GT-R will directly compete with 911 T (but will get its ass kicked because of name recognition)
however the NSX will be a shameful excuse next to the GT-R

on the 7th day, LET THERE BE LIGHT !!!!!!!

(ive lost it)

[This message has been edited by thearabian (edited 02-08-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
02-09-2001, 11:13 AM
What about the Silvia? :)

In an issue of Sport Compact Car last year, they did an article comparing the Silvia to the Evo VI (V, VI, VII, one of those). In the article they made mention to talking to Nissan about plans to bring the Silvia to the states. Their reaction wasn't a "yes" or "no," but kind of a "we'll see ..." SCC told them (Nissan) that they (SCC) would get an email campaign going, and forward all letters to Nissan. I haven't heard since that issue how it went.

But if there was talk of the Silvia coming over here, how would that effect your buying decisions? Z. Silvia. Skyline.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-10-2001, 07:58 PM
It would easily be like this:
Silvia would be the under $20,000 pretty cool car to own and fast.

Z would be the under $30,000 very cool car and even faster

Skyline would be the under $80,000 extremely cool car and even faster than that with more luxury

The silvia would be in direct competition with celica, prelude, eclipse, etc and definately beat them all too.

It would come down totally to money I think. If you can only afford silvia then that is what you will get and you will be pretty damn happy, if you have some more you will get a z and you will be happier, if you sell your soul to the devil in trade for lots of cash then you can get a skyline and be really happy.

Personally, I think I have decided this. I am getting the Z when it comes out and I will also buy the skyline when it comes out. I will use the skyline as my family driving car being four doors and carrying more people and the z will be my, i only want to have two seats because I don't want to have back seats right now car.

SHIFT_6speeds
02-10-2001, 10:55 PM
Infiniti will not possibly get the Skyline till the next Generation...

When (and if, it is not "Official") we do get the Skyline in the states, I have heard estimates of around 60 grand for MSRP. I think that is more than 10K more than a Z. You could possibly get a couple Z's for one Skyline... If one can afford it, I feel it is worth it...

**DONOTDELETE**
02-11-2001, 04:54 AM
What you say is true, but it's strange, since Porsche competes in this category with a 6. Okay, so it's a boxer engine, but still, I think it's more prejudice against what people claim is a lack of "soul" than it is against the V6. I was in an Acura dealership yesterday, and they had 2 NSXs. The black one was incredibly beautiful, and I had forgotten how low they are.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Infiniti:
The current Skyline cant be converted. Thats why the next gen Skyline, the R35, may be coming here. They may bring it as an infiniti with the Q's V8 punched out for more power. Rumors say a turboed V6 is possible but im not sure. It would HAVE to have a V8 to compete in the supercar crowd in the USA. Or else it would be what people say about the NSX, V6's dont compare in this market.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
02-12-2001, 05:31 AM
I thought the Silvia was in a higher class than the Civic level? (Not bad mouthing the Civic, though.) Does the Silvia in Japan have like 250+ hp? Sport Compact Car put it up against an Evo VI (or whichever number it was) and that thing has like 280 hp. Or is the Silvia in the Civic class, just with a *much* bigger engine?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-12-2001, 08:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kamryn:
I thought the Silvia was in a higher class than the Civic level? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is. And in fact, the Silvia/240sx is in the class of V6 compacts.
The 2cd class is the Turbo, which you mentioned, compared to the EVOlution models.
It IS not in the Civic Catagory. It is, in NA form, along with the Type-R's and VTEC Spec Types.
There are a few Dif. models as you may know. The Base S15, The Spec M and R. And the Turbo
of the Spec's. Also the Autech Models in NA and Turbo.
http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/cool.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-14-2001, 11:08 AM
I think Nissan should stick with the 6 cyl if possible to reduce cost and material. An inline 6 with a turbo and short gears aimed for 1/4 acceleration. I guess the 5th and 6th gear should be rather tall for mileage on the highways. But I think a V8 on such a small car would reduce its handling capabilities. b/c the engine is not mid mounted like F1 cars and most LeMan racers, it is gonna have a heavy weight on front. Isn't it cheaper to use exisiting engines and parts then creating a new assembly line for a brand new engine? Let the japanese people have the brand new next gen engine and chassis. US people just want the Skyline as is. (But cheaper)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Infiniti:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Infiniti
02-14-2001, 01:15 PM
I guess Im the only one who thinks the GTR should get a V8 at least in the US market. If the NSX, a great car, gets hammered for having a V6 in the super car market, what will people say about the GTR if it has a 6, regardless of V or inline. It needs a V8 to be in the supercar market, at least if it doesnt want to made fun of even if it outperforms the comp.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-14-2001, 04:30 PM
I'm still with the idea of a small turbocharged v8 like the 3.5 out of the R390. You could even have two trim levels NA or turbocharged. Just strictly 2 though keep it as simple as possible. As for as hp goes I think it will have to be better than the future NSX just to grab attention.

Infiniti
02-14-2001, 04:58 PM
Its almost guarenteed that the GTR will have over 400hp from the latest Ive read.

thearabian
02-14-2001, 09:05 PM
I guess Im the only one who thinks the GTR should get a V8 at least in the US market. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

don't worry you arent the only one!

**DONOTDELETE**
02-15-2001, 01:36 PM
The NSX isn't getting hammered as much for being a V6 as it is for only having about 270hp. Not to down the supra, 300zx, or rx-7 because I love them all and have great respect for them, they can all go right up along with the NSX (don't know exact numbers but I am sure there are many of those three that can spank NSXs and there are NSXs that can beat those three) and they were much less in cost. So the big problem with the NSX isn't that it has a smaller engine but it is that for it's price it should be able to do more or it should have cost less.

YoplaitYogurt1234
02-25-2001, 01:58 PM
I guess Im the only one who thinks the GTR should get a V8 at least in the US market. If the NSX, a great car, gets hammered for having a V6 in the super car market, what will people say about the GTR if it has a 6, regardless of V or inline. It needs a V8 to be in the supercar market, at least if it doesnt want to made fun of even if it outperforms the comp.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the 911 only has an I6.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-25-2001, 02:50 PM
H6.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-17-2001, 11:27 AM
I think that the Skyline should go under the Infinity name, cause the Z was Nissan's orignal flagship car in the first place.
Like the the NSX was under Acura instead of Honda. I guess Honda's flagship car is the S2000.

About the NSX being bashed cause of the V6.
Didn't the NSX have the highest HP per liter in it's class. The engine might not be as big as the Viper, but at least it's more reiable and comfortable than the Viper. I think they bash the NSX's V6 cause it doesn't have the bottom end like the others in its class, but the NSX slaps them all in the face at higher RPM.

Who care about how big the motor is, the bigger it is the more gas it eats, the more maintance it needs, and the more times you have to stop at a gas station. I hate the rumble, never any peace and quiet in those big engine cars even at idle. Isn't it all about how fast you can go with any size engine(civics with hybrids would be a example I say, small yet really fast) or is it the bigger the better.

Last time I heard, Adams NSX was running 6's in the 1/4 mile. Pretty damn quick for a V6 huh. It's fast as those big blocks, and I bet he'll be running against them too. I guess he might be in both import and demostic scenes now.