PDA

View Full Version : Z Changes before production..



kroams
03-10-2001, 05:14 PM
I went to see the Z concept at the Atlanta auto show today and was rather disapointed the mock up was there. The real one was supposed to be there but the Nissan reps said there was a shipping issue from Geneva. I did ask the designated "Nissan Z expert" at the show about the changes coming before production begins. He said the convertible version will debut 3-6 months after the inital release of the coupe. I would think they would save the convertible for year 2, but we will see. He also said they recently worked out a partnership agreement to have Rockford Fosgate put a 9 speaker 280 Watt stereo system in. Being an odd number, I can only assume that means a sub is included. Besides that GPS with a LCD screen in the dash will be an option. I don't know how much of this is speculated by this guy, but he said they are expecting the HP to be 280 which is currently producing 5.5 sec 0-60's. If all of this has previously been posted, I do appologize. I would have loved to see the interior rather than this hollow version with no engine. I must say it looks AMAZING in person!

**DONOTDELETE**
03-10-2001, 05:26 PM
9 speakers for a two seater? i'm not doubting you, i'm just saying it sounds damn strange... let's see, one sub, two components per door, two tweeters per person? or one set of tweeters and three subs...

kroams
03-10-2001, 05:38 PM
I promise that is what he said. I agree that is alot, but you have to remember what they consider a speaker. I don't think its unreasonable to have two tweeters and two mid-range up front, two two-way speakers and a small sub in the rear. Perhaps that guy is speculating, but he said it once while doing his little presentation with the car and I asked again when he was done. He said it is a Rockford Fosgate 280 Watt 9 speaker custom system. Perhaps that is not true but I am only repeating what he said.

Infiniti
03-10-2001, 05:39 PM
That sounds accurate kroams. MT has said a few of the things you have said. This is music to my ears! http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/grin.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
03-10-2001, 10:19 PM
I have a really hard time believing that guy saying there will be a 9 speaker rockford fosgate system becuase i know an employee at bose who work next to the guy in charge of designin the new system for the Z. They have already been over in japan testing the system in the car. I don't have a lot of details except for the fact that when the engineer was asked to describe the system he could barely put it into words, if memory serves he eventually said "all i can say is holy ****" or something very similar. As far as what it is I was told that there will be 10" speakers in the doors http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif and are supposed to be some special type that bose have been developing.

The stereo that goes into the Z is supposed to be one of the most advanced that they have ever made.

I can't imagine that they would use both a bose and rockford fosgate system on the same car. All of the other stuff sounds very possible especially that GPS/LCD http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif I am still pissed off that they get that in japan but i can't have it for my celica. If they did something similar that would really piss me off, we deserve cool toys too!

kroams
03-10-2001, 10:42 PM
Again I am only repeating what the Nissan guy at the auto show told me. After doing some quick research though, I have found a Rockford Fosgate press release from Jan 2, 2001 that says:

"Rockford Fosgate agreed to make stereo systems for Nissan Motor Co.'s Nissan North America unit as an original equipment manufacturer. In a press release Tuesday, Rockford said it will make the systems for model year 2002. The vehicles will begin selling this summer."


You said the Bose guy went to Japan to work on the Z so perhaps that is only for the non-US version. The press release says the agreement was for Nissan North America, not Nissan Motors. The press release continues with:

"Rockford Fosgate systems will be standard in Nissan's Xterra SE and optional in the Xterra XE, the Frontier Crew Cab, Supercharged Frontier Crew Cab and the Sentra SE-R. Rockford's OEM systems installed in these vehicles will include a radio/cd-player, speakers and an amplifier."


Although the Z is not mentioned, that probably is because this was regarding 2002 vehicles, not beyond. If Nissan NA is making that large of a commitment to RF, it is extreamly probably they will outfit the Z with it as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverGT:
I have a really hard time believing that guy saying there will be a 9 speaker rockford fosgate system becuase i know an employee at bose who work next to the guy in charge of designin the new system for the Z. They have already been over in japan testing the system in the car. I don't have a lot of details except for the fact that when the engineer was asked to describe the system he could barely put it into words, if memory serves he eventually said "all i can say is holy ****" or something very similar. As far as what it is I was told that there will be 10" speakers in the doors http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif and are supposed to be some special type that bose have been developing.

The stereo that goes into the Z is supposed to be one of the most advanced that they have ever made.

I can't imagine that they would use both a bose and rockford fosgate system on the same car. All of the other stuff sounds very possible especially that GPS/LCD http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif I am still pissed off that they get that in japan but i can't have it for my celica. If they did something similar that would really piss me off, we deserve cool toys too!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
03-10-2001, 11:53 PM
Those are all really good points but I'm going to continue believing that it will be bose since that is what the guy that made the system said. I can still see them having a bose system in the Z with Rockford in others because Bose is regarded as extreme high-end refinement. You find it in Benz, Audi, Cadillac and so on but you can't get it in a Dodge Neon. If RF is in the majority and then Bose was in the Z it would just signify how special the Z is. Nissan already uses both Bose and RF as far as I know, i think the RF is in the Xterra and the Maxima has Bose.

As far as i being for non-US market that isn't the reason they went to japan, they went to japan because at the time (nov-dec00) that was the only place that the Z was. It hadn't been brought over to the US. They had a current jap spec 300zx at the over here to test out the system on but they went to japan to test it out on the new model. They wouldn't be working on it from where they are if it wasn't gonna be US plus he would have mentioned that fact.

I understand you are just relaying info and I appreciate you doing so, I was just relaying what I've been told too since it was on the same subject.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-11-2001, 08:53 AM
bose? high end? maybe on pricing...

Infiniti
03-11-2001, 08:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverGT:
All of the other stuff sounds very possible especially that GPS/LCD<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bruce Campbell was quoted in an interview by MT that a Nav system will be available.

djcunnin
03-11-2001, 10:57 AM
I just hope that Nissan doesn't get too gizmo happy and end up making the Z a "pig" because of the added weight of all these non-essential (to a sports car) items

**DONOTDELETE**
03-11-2001, 02:39 PM
They will be ok as long as they don't make stuff stock so that people can still get a stripped down version and that they don't have too much choices. If they have a few things like a higher end stereo and a nav system it shouldn't effect the price because those are easily swappable things, when you get into different body parts and engine models and such it gets much more complicated.

SHIFT_6speeds
03-11-2001, 06:03 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by djcunnin:
I just hope that Nissan doesn't get too gizmo happy and end up making the Z a "pig" because of the added weight of all these non-essential (to a sports car) items<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, lets not let history repeat itself. It is supposed to be a SPORTS CAR, not a Luxury car. If you want Nav and crap, buy an Infiniti.

shaun
03-15-2001, 12:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverGT:
Those are all really good points but I'm going to continue believing that it will be bose since that is what the guy that made the system said. I can still see them having a bose system in the Z with Rockford in others because Bose is regarded as extreme high-end refinement. You find it in Benz, Audi, Cadillac and so on but you can't get it in a Dodge Neon. If RF is in the majority and then Bose was in the Z it would just signify how special the Z is. Nissan already uses both Bose and RF as far as I know, i think the RF is in the Xterra and the Maxima has Bose.

As far as i being for non-US market that isn't the reason they went to japan, they went to japan because at the time (nov-dec00) that was the only place that the Z was. It hadn't been brought over to the US. They had a current jap spec 300zx at the over here to test out the system on but they went to japan to test it out on the new model. They wouldn't be working on it from where they are if it wasn't gonna be US plus he would have mentioned that fact.

I understand you are just relaying info and I appreciate you doing so, I was just relaying what I've been told too since it was on the same subject.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


Didnt alpine or clarion make the stereos for the maxima in the past? and then the bose went into LE models and SE models had optional bose and sunroof package? Well couldnt it have a stock rockford fosgate and then an optional bose?? While rockford fosgate is definately good for the money...bose has better clarity. and i havent seen many stereos that are a half ohm

shaun
03-15-2001, 12:15 AM
Also....there's nothing wrong with having luxuries like leather..a better stereo...automatic climate control and navigation systems...just as long as they arent standard...people that want them can get em...I wouldnt mind getting a fully loaded version....well besides teh stereo...I'd kind of like to do that on my own.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-15-2001, 08:05 AM
Im not sure about the speakers..but chances are if you have a Nissan built in the last 10 years...It has a Clarion deck..I think even the "BOSE" systems were Clarion Decks and Bose speakers....Ive seen Maximas (like a Base SE and GLE)with the same "deck"..the only visual difference on it is it says "Bose" on the tape section..(So I figured its the speakers that made them different (they are individually amplified too on the BOSE..which means you wouldnt need a "special deck" regaurdless.)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shaun:

Didnt alpine or clarion make the stereos for the maxima in the past? and then the bose went into LE models and SE models had optional bose and sunroof package? Well couldnt it have a stock rockford fosgate and then an optional bose?? While rockford fosgate is definately good for the money...bose has better clarity. and i havent seen many stereos that are a half ohm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
03-15-2001, 06:32 PM
Lets have 3 verisons of the Z
1. GXE version basics (blah blah blah) 270 hp
2. GLE Luxury Verison (leather and the works) 280 hp and 290 with perform.pack.
3. SE-R SPORTS VERSION (YOU KNOW WHAT IT HAS)300 HP STANDARD AND 350HP with a supercharger perform. pack. WHAT DO YOU'LL THINK??

SHIFT_6speeds
03-15-2001, 08:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpeedyNissan:
Lets have 3 verisons of the Z
1. GXE version basics (blah blah blah) 270 hp
2. GLE Luxury Verison (leather and the works) 280 hp and 290 with perform.pack.
3. SE-R SPORTS VERSION (YOU KNOW WHAT IT HAS)300 HP STANDARD AND 350HP with a supercharger perform. pack. WHAT DO YOU'LL THINK??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I relate those designations for Sedans anymore.

Z needs better (classic) designation.

350Z - basic lighter Z
350ZX - the loaded-out Mutha

And either one can be had as Convertible or Super-Charged (or Turbo) when that availability comes around...

One problem in most cars is that to get performance or convertible versions, you have to get the loaded out one. I think Performance and Luxury are two different things and a stripper Z should still be offered to be had with the Performance option in the Future. Same for the Convertible.

Leave it all for us to order what we want... This is a Nissan car, not an Infiniti...

If I had my way I would have a base Z with no electrics (manual crank windows, manual seats, etc..) the only options I would do is a decent Stereo, rear defroster, Sunroof and most importantly the Performance package! Keep it light sweet and simple...

...a Z packaged EXACTLY like my 91 SE-R...
That would be sweet...no Airbags too (like my 91 SE-R) would even be all the better!

thearabian
03-15-2001, 09:24 PM
i disagree

one trim: 350Z
leather/sunroof/mags option
convertible option
supercharger option in 2 years

flattest price possible

**DONOTDELETE**
03-16-2001, 05:22 PM
It is very likely that it was a clarion deck with the rest of the components bose because with a bose setup the deck is the least important part. the way that bose builds their systems puts all of the processing technology in the amplifier, the decks job is to read the cd or get the station and send the data to the amplifier, the amp takes care of the rest of it and then sends it to the speakers. so any good quality deck should work well with a bose set-up.

i say they definately DO NOT have more than one trim level. there can be different options like the stereo, lcd, etc but as soon as you have a z and a zx or an se and le that is an automatic price hike up requirement to differentiate the two and that is one thing that the car does not need. plus that gives the ability for the annoying twirps to buy a cheap one and slap on a different badge and say "ooo, ooo, look at me".

and even if they do put more than one level they better not put any le or se or anything else that ends in e or i will be filing a lawsuit for defacing a piece of history. those do not belong on a Z ever. those dont belong on any sports car, is it a viper se or a viper gt-s?

**DONOTDELETE**
03-18-2001, 03:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kroams:
I went to see the Z concept at the Atlanta auto show today and was rather disapointed the mock up was there. The real one was supposed to be there but the Nissan reps said there was a shipping issue from Geneva. I did ask the designated "Nissan Z expert" at the show about the changes coming before production begins. He said the convertible version will debut 3-6 months after the inital release of the coupe. I would think they would save the convertible for year 2, but we will see. He also said they recently worked out a partnership agreement to have Rockford Fosgate put a 9 speaker 280 Watt stereo system in. Being an odd number, I can only assume that means a sub is included. Besides that GPS with a LCD screen in the dash will be an option. I don't know how much of this is speculated by this guy, but he said they are expecting the HP to be 280 which is currently producing 5.5 sec 0-60's. If all of this has previously been posted, I do appologize. I would have loved to see the interior rather than this hollow version with no engine. I must say it looks AMAZING in person!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Nine speakers sounds great but how about something crazy like a Kenwood P-907 in the dash with 2 cd changers and the audio video preouts mounted to connect things like camcorders, gamesystems, dvd, vcr, etc. and bypass the e-brake hook up so the passenger next to you can watch the "football game" instead of listening to it...when you think about these hightech car-systems the possibilities are limitless. You can even eliminate cd changers through the use of a laptop with hundreds of downloaded songs that can be connected to a unit like a P-907 through the audio/video output (imagine: you will never have to change another cd again while you are driving, plus it will never skip either)...When I get the new Z, I might keep the speakers but anything in the dash is definitely coming out...just hope the speakers are not characteristic of the bose unit in the previous Z...

Infiniti
03-18-2001, 08:58 PM
Why wont nissan do that? Probably because only 1% of the nation wants something like that. I certaintly dont and itll add a lot of dinero, what Nissan wants to keep away from. If you want that, then why not twin turbo it up and an all magnesium body? http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/rolleyes.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
03-18-2001, 10:42 PM
I want some of that, but I am perfectly happy doing it on my own, in fact i probably prefer it that way because I will spend more money on it then nissan would want to. The main thing that I want is the GPS/LCD because then there will be a stock place for it which will be nicely done and clean and make life a lot easier then having to custom fit it into the dash some how or have an ugly external unit which i wouldn't want to do. So my main concern is having the area in the dash for the lcd screen to go or already there. Even with how they did it in my celica isn't too bad, there is a LCD in the jap version so in the USA there is a little cubby storage spot there, so if i got ambitious i would be able to refit that with an lcd, there is at least space for it.

I am trying to ask for as little as possible, just the necessities and maybe one or two higher up things because although i would still be buying the car if the price was higher i know that others would not and i really want this car to do well because i know nissan needs it bad and i really don't want to see anything happen to nissan. nissan going out of business would be like ford going out of business (hold on, just listen). Ford was the first mainstream car maker in the united states, thats what nissan was (under a different name) to japan. just shortly after it was happening in the united states the car industry was starting to build in japan and the first company producing large numbers of cars was the company that later became nissan. Ford had the Model T and Nissan had the DAT car. So although i know a lot of us wouldn't be too saddened over the demise of ford i think that a small part of me would just because there is a history there, and the same thing goes for nissan, except a much larger part of me feels that way.

Slack00
03-19-2001, 07:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thearabian:
one trim: 350Z
leather/sunroof/mags option
convertible option
supercharger option in 2 years

flattest price possible<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Damn straight!

As to the RF/Bose argument; perhaps it a RF head unit and Bose speakers? This could satisfy both arguments.

Secondly, I am very disappointed that Nissan has not committed to keeping the car leightweight. I was expecting curb weight to be at least under 3000 lbs, and all the reports I've seen says its around 3200 lbs. Given, 3,200 lbs isn't heavy; supercars from Porsche, BMW, Ferrari and others usually weigh in at 3,400-3,600 lbs (and Corvette being kinda light for its class at 3,200 lbs). But I thought the Z was 'returning to its roots'....ala light weight. 280 hp in a 3,200 lbs car might bring me into the showroom (I can get a 3,200 lbs Z28 with 320hp, but yeah, its a Camaro), but 260 definitely won't. To me, the only reason they might want to weight the car down is if they are planning to keep it planted with a future power increase (via forced induction or natural aspirated tuning). But I wish they'd let me know ahead of time whether they plan to do that or not; otherwise I'm of to buy an RX-8...



[This message has been edited by Slack00 (edited 03-19-2001).]

SHIFT_6speeds
03-19-2001, 10:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thearabian:
i disagree

one trim: 350Z
leather/sunroof/mags option
convertible option
supercharger option in 2 years

flattest price possible<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, again you are placing roof/leather/mags in one option group...

As a consumer, I do not want to have to buy Leather to get a roof. This is what I was talking about... My point is to keep the car simple and have as few options as possible. If people want a Z Cadillac, let them have their own package, the ZX. The leather belongs in that group. Leather does not enhance the driving excitement of the car. Just adds price.

I was just hoping this car was going to be kept basic. But I am hearing too much about stereos, nav systems, Leather. etc... All the fancy stuff is what hurt the previos Z and priced it way too high and sales declined. This is a sports car, not a Caddy....

thearabian
03-20-2001, 08:35 PM
well actually i meant
roof/leather/mags as separate options
i don't believe in packages either...

**DONOTDELETE**
03-23-2001, 12:08 AM
I love the New Z for the most part, however i think its only appropriate to place the Z emblem on the hood like that of past Z's and place the 350zx emblem on the quarter panels! Somethings are just best left alone when it comes to re-establishing a dynasty. The handles also look as if they were an after thought and would only serve to harbor wax when you polish the vehicle. I also love the fascia on the japanese version much better! I'm sure in selecting it that it would only aid in allowing more efficent cooling to the engine and also dissipate brake heat even more quicker, another by product and benefit of this change would would be a longer lifecycle for the engine and brake components! We all know how notorius Z's are for developing alot of under the hood heat and brake rotor warp, especially on the turbo. This has caused some serious damage when they are driven fast and hard! It would also lower co-efficient of drag for the vehicle. While i have neve designed a vehicle! I do know a little bit about them! Don't get me wrong I LOVE Z's, but i wonder if Diane has ever owned a Z? If she did she would know what all we Z owners are asking her to do! Make what is still one of the best engineered vehicles ever built, the very, very best! I have waited 11 years for the new Z! I'm willing to wait even even longer! The japanese beleive in Kazan and so do i!

DanZ

Zed
03-24-2001, 10:57 AM
Hi SilverGT, I share most of your thoughts you posted above, and I recently recieved the new SportZ magazine in the mail(great mag), it shows on the dash a Pop up LCD screen with a GPS and multi-function display(simular to what the skyline GTR has). Nissan will have it standard I believe and wants to keep current on all 'necessary' techno gadgets.

In the pic below, you'll see a cut out below the 3gauges. Thats where the screen raises from. I'll try to scan the pics I have of it in the up position for ya later..
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/images/0401/returntopower02.jpg

Zed
03-24-2001, 11:18 AM
I hope they keep these seats. They are COOL!
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/images/0401/zconcept04.jpg

**DONOTDELETE**
03-24-2001, 05:53 PM
Wow the way the seat folds is cool as hell, it has always pissed me off when trying to access the backseat you have to move the posistion of the driver seat and then that just throws off your whole setting in the car, that is a really good idea to get a little bit more access without moving the seat.

The positioning of that LCD looks cool too, i would love to see it in the up position. If they have the same setup as in the skyline that would be cool as hell. Especially the serial connection to a computer so you can download information about the car, i would love to be able to do that. I want the Z to stay as simple as possible but at the same time im not gonna yell at nissan for putting in gadgets because who can resist those fun things like the g-force graph.

In response to the Z emblem on the hood, i agree it should be there, but i also agree with nissan of putting their own logo there for brand recognition and building their image. The Z emblems being on the side is enough for me, especially because people will not be seeing my front end much, they will mainly be seeing the rear end http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif.

Nizmo
03-29-2001, 11:43 AM
To all Z fans, here's some pics I've scavenge off from the net. I myself aren't too sure which of these two are the official one, but I'm betting it toward the large top pic. It make more sense to me than the bottom one. Notice the door handle and front fascia? I remember reading from the MT website da other day regarding an interview with bruce campbel. He state that the door handle from the show care was gonna stay and the front fascia was a little modify (smaller) then the show car. Anyhow, I thought I'd share these with my Nissan brothers. Enjoy the Ride...(in the future)




[This message has been edited by nismoMan (edited 04-02-2001).]

Zed
03-29-2001, 12:52 PM
Hey NismoMan, We can't see those pics!

Nizmo
03-29-2001, 02:46 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zed:
Hey NismoMan, We can't see those pics!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry bro, somehow the link seem to be bad or the site I got the pic from won't let me post it here. I"ll try it again. However, if you want go to the site directly, here's the link. I hope it work.

busybeetoys.com (http://www.busybeetoys.com)

kroams
03-29-2001, 10:54 PM
I don't know where this pic came from, but I defintely like the front better than the concept. The wheels are nice too. Looks mean in silver!

http://members.home.net/jmanz/production.jpg

Infiniti
03-30-2001, 02:05 PM
Thats an old "spy" pic

**DONOTDELETE**
04-01-2001, 01:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pauli:
bose? high end? maybe on pricing...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No highs? No lows? Must be Bose. Ask any audiophile if Bose is extreme high-end. If you dare suggest it is extreme high-end, you'll surely get a verbal beating.

I agree with Pauli, Bose is high-end on pricing only. For the money, much much better systems could be had.

Dan

**DONOTDELETE**
04-01-2001, 01:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SentraSE-Rman:
If I had my way I would have a base Z with no electrics (manual crank windows, manual seats, etc..) the only options I would do is a decent Stereo, rear defroster, Sunroof and most importantly the Performance package! Keep it light sweet and simple...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keep in mind though that many times, electric windows can be lighter than manual kinds (less parts = less weight). There's nothing wrong with leather, what do you think the classic sports cars came with?

I would definitely not take a sunroof, now that's some extra weight and cutting a hole in the roof definitely doesn't help structural integrity.


But personally, as others have said, let the consumer have the option. I hate the fact that if I were to buy another Miata, I'm forced to have A/C, I'm forced to have worthless fog lights, etc. I want the ability to buy a stripper model. No fluff. Just good to honest performance. Yes, put in a halfway decent stereo, but that doesn't require some 9 speaker waste of space and weight. A good cupholder would even be OK as I have a tendency to make a yearly 1000+ mile trip every year (sometimes 2000+ miles) in less than 1 wk.

Keep it basic. Keep it light. To me, it sounds like the new Z is going to be neither, especially at a very portly 3200 lbs. Dang, that's 500 lbs more than my too portly 2700 lb '93 240sx (actual weight on a scale). I couldn't stand the weight of the 240sx, now add another 500 lbs? Wow. How about we shrink the new Z and make sure it only has 2 seats.

Oh well .... guess Nissan isn't going to offer anything I'd want any time soon I guess ....

Dan

[This message has been edited by vandeda (edited 04-01-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
04-01-2001, 04:47 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kroams:
I don't know where this pic came from, but I defintely like the front better than the concept. The wheels are nice too. Looks mean in silver!

http://members.home.net/jmanz/production.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


This is a photoshopped Z Concept.
I don't have time to find a pic of S2000 right now, but the front and the side mirrors are taken right off the S2000. http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/wink.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
04-01-2001, 09:15 PM
I think Nissan will be using both BOSE and Rockford Fosgate in their cars and trucks in the future. The new Q has a BOSE system if im not mistaken..and I imagine the Maxima and Pathfinder...since there "high end Nissans" will still offer it...The Frontiers,Xterras and Sentra as we know are offering the Fosgate (makes sense...younger people associate with Fosgate more than Bose). It will be interesting to see which one the Z will get! Personally,Im impressed with alot of Stereo systems in new cars..they have come a LONG way from how bad they used to be!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vandeda:
No highs? No lows? Must be Bose. Ask any audiophile if Bose is extreme high-end. If you dare suggest it is extreme high-end, you'll surely get a verbal beating.

I agree with Pauli, Bose is high-end on pricing only. For the money, much much better systems could be had.

Dan<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

kroams
04-01-2001, 09:38 PM
It is possible that the Z will have BOSE, but from what I have been reading, I am not sure a BOSE system would be better than a Rockford Fosgate one. The 2002 Xterra and Frontier Crew Cab on the Nissan website say it will have a 9 speaker 400 watt stereo system. That is the same type of system I mentioned before when the Nissan rep at the auto show discussed the new Z. If that was not the top of the line system, it would not be worth him mentioning. Also the website says that 9 speaker system includes an in-dash 6 CD changer and a subwoofer. I have never heard of BOSE offering an in-dash changer and I doubt Nissan would offer a RF system that would make the standard stereo having more features than the more expensive BOSE option. I think this new Z is geared toward a younger and more performance minded crowd that relates more to Rockford Fosgate than BOSE. My money is on Rockford Fosgate being the upgraded stereo if not the only stereo offered. Nissan can save some money offering less configurations and making more standard. Think what you want about RF being a lesser brand than BOSE, but I have used it in the past in my Maxima which had BOSE initally and would pick RF any day over a less expandable and expensive BOSE system.

SHIFT_6speeds
04-03-2001, 12:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vandeda:
Keep in mind though that many times, electric windows can be lighter than manual kinds (less parts = less weight). There's nothing wrong with leather, what do you think the classic sports cars came with?

I would definitely not take a sunroof, now that's some extra weight and cutting a hole in the roof definitely doesn't help structural integrity.


But personally, as others have said, let the consumer have the option. I hate the fact that if I were to buy another Miata, I'm forced to have A/C, I'm forced to have worthless fog lights, etc. I want the ability to buy a stripper model. No fluff. Just good to honest performance. Yes, put in a halfway decent stereo, but that doesn't require some 9 speaker waste of space and weight. A good cupholder would even be OK as I have a tendency to make a yearly 1000+ mile trip every year (sometimes 2000+ miles) in less than 1 wk.

Keep it basic. Keep it light. To me, it sounds like the new Z is going to be neither, especially at a very portly 3200 lbs. Dang, that's 500 lbs more than my too portly 2700 lb '93 240sx (actual weight on a scale). I couldn't stand the weight of the 240sx, now add another 500 lbs? Wow. How about we shrink the new Z and make sure it only has 2 seats.

Oh well .... guess Nissan isn't going to offer anything I'd want any time soon I guess ....

Dan

[This message has been edited by vandeda (edited 04-01-2001).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand that Electric window can eqal lighter, I just don't like the way they wear out...I like a car simple. And for leather, I just dont like it at all (except for the smell-ahh)...the looks reminds me of old vinyl interiors of years past and some feel like it too (can feel hot and cold), it is slippery, costly and does not wear well.

As for the sunroof...it adds to my driving enjoyment and comfort (ventilation) without the hassle of a convertible. I have had 3 sunroofed cars in a row, never had any problems at all of any kind. I just enjoy the choice of an open roof way too much. Ownership of a vehicle without one just wont be as great.

Otherwise I like my cars very simple. Like the way my classic SE-R is set up, it is just perfect... I remeber when you could get a Z almost the same way...those days are gone... so sad...

SHIFT_6speeds
04-03-2001, 12:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SentraSE-Rman:
I understand that Electric windows can equal lighter weight, I just don't like the way they wear out...I like a car simple. And for leather, I just dont like it at all (except for the smell-ahh)...the looks reminds me of old vinyl interiors of years past and most feel like it too (can feel too hot and too cold), it is slippery, costly and does not wear well.

As for the sunroof...it adds to my driving enjoyment and comfort (ventilation) without the hassle of a convertible. I have had 3 sunroofed cars in a row, never had any problems at all of any kind. I just enjoy the choice of an open roof at my command way too much. Ownership of a vehicle without one just wont be as great. Besides, sunroofs now are designed and engineered into the car, not just a simple hole cut in the roof...

Otherwise I like my cars very simple. Like the way my classic SE-R is set up, it is just perfect... I remeber when you could get a Z almost the same way...those days are gone... so sad...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
04-03-2001, 07:13 AM
BOSE doesnt make the head units for The Nissans and Infiniti's now.(I believe Clarion still makes them)..and I dont think think Fosgate will be making the decks for the RF systems either . Its the speakers and built in amps that make one a BOSE system and probably what will make the Fosgate system what it is. Im guessing the Z will get the BOSE because of its price range (Its well into the Maxima and Pathfinder range)...That is if Nissan keeps BOSE in the Nissans.


<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kroams:
It is possible that the Z will have BOSE, but from what I have been reading, I am not sure a BOSE system would be better than a Rockford Fosgate one. The 2002 Xterra and Frontier Crew Cab on the Nissan website say it will have a 9 speaker 400 watt stereo system. That is the same type of system I mentioned before when the Nissan rep at the auto show discussed the new Z. If that was not the top of the line system, it would not be worth him mentioning. Also the website says that 9 speaker system includes an in-dash 6 CD changer and a subwoofer. I have never heard of BOSE offering an in-dash changer and I doubt Nissan would offer a RF system that would make the standard stereo having more features than the more expensive BOSE option. I think this new Z is geared toward a younger and more performance minded crowd that relates more to Rockford Fosgate than BOSE. My money is on Rockford Fosgate being the upgraded stereo if not the only stereo offered. Nissan can save some money offering less configurations and making more standard. Think what you want about RF being a lesser brand than BOSE, but I have used it in the past in my Maxima which had BOSE initally and would pick RF any day over a less expandable and expensive BOSE system.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
04-03-2001, 08:14 PM
You are absolutley right about bose systems being the amps and speakers and not the head unit. All of the complex electronics exist in the amplifier (and in some detailed setups other components like high and low pass crossovers). A bose stereo could have an in-dash 6 cd changer because once again, it isn't the head unit, its what comes after it, so as long as there is an audio signal going to the amp it is good.

I believe I have said this many times but what the hell i'll say it again, i know that there will be a bose stereo in it because a relative of mine had the stereo personally described to him by a fellow co-worker at bose who just happens to be the guy designing the stereo. It is supposed to be one of the nicest systems that bose has ever produced. What people don't understand is that bose stereos aren't about maximum wattage, no stereo should be about that because it only hits peak somewhere around 10% of the playtime. Bose stereos are highly regarded for clarity, precise reproductions of sounds, and realism. I'd have to say that I would rather feel like I was in san francisco while metallica was playing then be deafened by the hum from the bass coming out of the subwoofer under my seat. Another thing that sets bose apart is the fact that every model of car that they put a stereo system in gets its own special stereo which has been tuned to the acoustics of that specific car, this makes for optimal playback. They even go as far to have them automatically adjust between windows up and windows down, sunroof open or shut, or convertible top up or down.

So which would you rather have, not being able to have a clear image in your rear view mirror whenever your RF system is turned on or having the ultimate in clarity and real-life synthesis of a bose stereo?

I have a high respect for Rockford Fosgate systems when put together right, but when it comes to a system like that you need a lot more than would be put in a stock car to properly support and use that system.