PDA

View Full Version : *Revised* 350Z has been seen and here is a description of events

**DONOTDELETE**
04-06-2001, 04:44 PM
I am posting this for a friend. I wish I could offer more information about this, but I have been instructed not to. Rest assured what you are reading is true (though, feel free to doubt it until you see it shortly). The guys at twinturbo.net can vouch for the information that has come from this source and even some of it I've posted here before to a high degree of accuracy. That being said, here it is:

Wow what a surprise! While stopping at a Nissan facility in a location to remain nameless I was literally swept up and into a photo shoot of the revised and probably the production version of the new Z. This was literally being at the right place at the right time. The Nissan and advertising/media crews were on a lunch break and so the car as well as an interior mock up were available for viewing,sitting and touching. The car has changed. The look is more integrated and pleasing to this writer. Let's go from the front to the rear and discuss the interior seperately.
Front facia has changed with the grille opening reduced and the corners softened. The two vertical panels outboard of the grille are retained and are now amber lensed turn signals. Nissan logo on the front facia is still large but has been recessed into the facia/hood which looks smoother and more finished.A Nissan person commented that the upper edge of the facia had been rounded slightly. Headlights retain a similar shape but have changed internally. Inside the clear lens and smooth reflector is a suspended projection beam lens, about the size of a quarter, probably hinting at HID illumination. Wheel arch bulge is lessened, so a lot of the TT similarity is gone. Car was sporting a set of 18 inch multi spoke wheels, but the spokes themselves are flatter in design than what was on the previous show car. There was also a 17 inch wheel and tire there, very similar to the 18 inch version but with more design embellishments near the center cap. The Z logo in the front fender is retained, but the background is now solid rather than the honeycomb pattern on the earlier version. Mirrors on the vehicle are set tighter to the body and do not have any lights. There was another set of mirrors in a box of a slightly different shape, possibly for a different trim level or sales market. Door handles do not extend out as much as before but retain the same shape. Rather than being open in the front they have been enclosed but the general appearance has been retained. Rear facia has changed as well. The reverse lights have been moved up and the lens is larger to accomodate reverse as well as what appears to be the amber turn signal lamps.Dual exhausts are now at the outboard edges,(Honda S2000?), with the tips having a tapered cone interior. Rear hatch now sports a wiper arm that parks vertically on the left side of the backlight. General roofline has remained the same. Without the bulging fenders, the greenhouse looks more like Nissans supercar R390 Coupe. One of the Nissan folks with me commented that he/she thought the C pillar area and small quarter window were changed slightly.
The "office" is completely different! The interior has lost the majority of brushed aluminum with the exception of the thin bezels around the speedo and tach and the three center gauges which are now located horizontally like the early 240-280 Z's. Seats now remind me of the Vspec R34 Skyline. The material covering is a grey/black course woven nylon. Great side bolsters and lumbar together with this material make the seats hold you in place. These are drivers seats! The coarse nylon is an integration of the now carbon fiber look on the door sills and dash. Switchgear is placed correctly and the center of the dash now sports a pop up GPS system. Pedal covers are of an aluminum "swiss chesse" look. Rear strut bar is retained with the brushed aluminum finish and the large 'Z' in the center.This bar will allow a set of golf clubs to slip under it. One of the Nissan guys/gals commented that the interior is "egocentric" for the driver, I agree.
All good things must come to an end. The crew returned to continue their "shoot" of this silver Z and I beat a quiet retreat. Luck was on my side as I was able to view the production car and interior and pass on this information to you. Now,I wonder how it will look in black?

Q.S. Tuso

The_Chosen_One
04-07-2001, 09:30 AM
Cool!

Infiniti
04-07-2001, 11:11 AM
I hope the wheel flares are still big. I like em big and bulbous and I didnt see much if any TT resemblence between the it and the Z.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-07-2001, 01:01 PM
Yes, what SeedyRom has said about the car is probably true. I no someone on the inside of Nissan and he told me about the car and said that the front facia will be changed and the current one is bogus. He aslo mentioned some changes similar to what SeedyRom described. I can't wait to see it. I didn't hear anything about the engine though....???

Jason

**DONOTDELETE**
04-07-2001, 08:07 PM
Im happy that they went with a dual exhaust set up. That single exhaust boxster set up doesn't cut it for me.(looks like the car has an anus)

**DONOTDELETE**
04-07-2001, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the report, I'm sure we all appreciate it. It is too bad that your friend didn't have a camera on him http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-07-2001, 11:18 PM
I'm pretty sure he did have a camera somewhere...but I'm even more sure they wouldn't have let him try it!

**DONOTDELETE**
04-08-2001, 07:20 AM
Great post..thanks for the tip off..I think the car will be awesome and look foward to the production version hitting the streets.

JB

**DONOTDELETE**
04-09-2001, 07:22 PM
That just shows the power of the new z. C5 owners are one of those very dedicated groups just like us current and previous z owners. So the fact that he is over here visiting and seeing what is up with the new z says he is either interested in the car personally or worried about what the z is gonna be capable of http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif.

Michael-Dallas
04-09-2001, 08:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverGT:
That just shows the power of the new z. C5 owners are one of those very dedicated groups just like us current and previous z owners. So the fact that he is over here visiting and seeing what is up with the new z says he is either interested in the car personally or worried about what the z is gonna be capable of http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, or maybe he's just plain curious. I admit that I spend quite a bit of time lurking on corvetteforum.com. http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif

Michael.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-09-2001, 11:49 PM
Sounds good to me, I'm sure I'll love it :P From what you've said, it sounds like they made the changes on the production version I would have liked to see.

Michael-Dallas
04-10-2001, 12:04 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JBsC5:
Great post..thanks for the tip off..I think the car will be awesome and look foward to the production version hitting the streets.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're a little ways away from corvetteforum.com eh...? http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/wink.gif

Michael.