PDA

View Full Version : Dealership Delivery Process?

**DONOTDELETE**
05-08-2002, 03:03 PM
What's up guys. My car has finally arrived at the dealership last night. But the *******s said it wouldn't be available for pick up until Friday. What the hell is going on? So, it's been sitting on the lot since last night, today, tomorrow, and I finally get it on Friday. Can any of you tell me why it takes so long to get ready? I understand that they have to PDI it, but how long does that really take? I've been waiting 4 weeks dammit!! Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks

**DONOTDELETE**
05-08-2002, 03:12 PM
the only thing I can tell you is to have some Patiences....I know its diffult.. images/icons/grin.gif

StealthB14
05-08-2002, 03:28 PM
Your dealer probably has a whole bunch of things to that need to be done, before it can be delivered, they will probably take it out to check for any strange noises, go over it with a fine toothed comb, and make sure everythings perfect, and when you take delivery it will be looking oh-so-sweet, so have a bit of patience bro. BUT if there are more miles/kms on the car than what you expected...use it to your advantage.

-Sam

6speeder
05-08-2002, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by StealthB14:
BUT if there are more miles/kms on the car than what you expected...use it to your advantage.

-Sam<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]How many miles are you talking and just what is it you think you're going to get with a car as lightly produced as the spec v?

Red_Spec-v
05-08-2002, 08:07 PM
the delay comes from the goverment the feds dot in specific mandate that all cars be pdi(post delivery inspection) for all safety and functionality my dads a volkswagon mechanic and all cars have to go through this they probly have alot of cars to do and not alot of mechanics to do it. i had to wait 2 days and my car already had ot done just wait good things come to those who wait except for the sh*ty paint the cars great

StealthB14
05-09-2002, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by zackcruz:
How many miles are you talking and just what is it you think you're going to get with a car as lightly produced as the spec v?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]If it is coming direct from the factory, I would expect no more than about 20-35 miles on the car upon delivery. If it were a dealer to dealer transfer, then I would expect no more than 100 miles on the vehicle. I know when we picked up my dad's 98 Altima, it was a dealer to dealer transfer, and it had about 86 miles on the odometer. I apologize for not specifying specific amounts.

-Sam

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 08:34 AM
Hey Red_Spec.....do you know if there is any information on the mandate you are talking about? I am dealing with a real lemon, that was defective on delivery. It was a dealer trade that came in on a Friday night (after service had closed) and they had me pick it up Saturday morning. The entire engine has been replaced now.

Now maybe the previous dealership did some sort of inspection......but wouldnt there be literature in the glove box or somthing?

StealthB14
05-09-2002, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by krispykeith:
Now maybe the previous dealership did some sort of inspection......but wouldnt there be literature in the glove box or somthing?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I can tell you this: As soon as papers were being signed on the purchase of my dad's 98 altima, the head tech at the dealership went through the car thouroughly, and also filled out a whole checklist, included with the vehicle, and signed, certifiying that the car was in perfect condition. Also, they had the sales manager give the car a once-over and sign off. They still do that with new cars today. I've been to my dealer several times, and they go over their new cars when they come off the truck, and also before delivery. It is apparrent that your dealer neglected to do so.

-Sam

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 08:54 AM
If you are in Ontario, (as it appears you are) then it may have something to do with the back-log created by the recent MTO worker strike. the dealership has to get the vehicle registered and plated, and that may be more time consuming to do since those services were limited if available at all for the past month and a half, so I'm sure there is a back-log of paperwork @ the ministry which may delay these types of procedures

I know some pple that had driving tests which got postponed, and even though the strike is over they still can't schedule a new time untill next week ... I sympathize with your frustration.... I waited over 8 weeks for mine ... but in a way you're lucky. hopefully you can avoid the last of the cr@ppy weather befor the sun comes out for good images/icons/wink.gif

[ 05-09-2002, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Spec(V)tacular ]

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 09:09 AM
Any new car with 100mi or more is considered a used or demo. More than quite a few people have been driving it without buying. Use it to your advantage in negotatiation or better, get another one that is really new.

Mark F
05-09-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by JTjr:
What's up guys. My car has finally arrived at the dealership last night. But the *******s said it wouldn't be available for pick up until Friday. What the hell is going on? So, it's been sitting on the lot since last night, today, tomorrow, and I finally get it on Friday. Can any of you tell me why it takes so long to get ready? I understand that they have to PDI it, but how long does that really take? I've been waiting 4 weeks dammit!! Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Before a car can be delivered it must go through a Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI). I don't know that this is mandated by the government or not, but it is a necessary thing. After it comes off the truck the vehicle is inspected top to bottom to make sure everything works, fluids are checckeed and topped off, tire pressures checked, clock and radio are set, keys and keyless remotes are programmed (as required) and the vehicle is test driven.

The service department of the dealership will PDI new arrivals as quickly as possible but it may be a day or two (or seven) after the car arrives before they get to it, depending on how busy it is with regular service customers. Typically though if I have a car pre-sold I get it bumped so it gets PDI'd ASAP.

If the vehicle came from a dealer trade the originating dealer would have done the PDI and should have sent the checklist along with the car. It is normally left in the glovebox. If you were not given this checklist when you took delivery, contact your salesperson and have them get a copy from the originating dealer.

PS

I end up getting cars on dealer trade all the time. Many, probably most, have more than 100 miles on them. Heck, I've got quite a few cars on my lot that were not dealer trades that have 100 or more miles on them. So what? 100 miles, even 150 miles means nothing. It certainly does not make the car a demo (think over 1,000 miles) and a car is not a used car until it has been titled.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. You are definitely right Spec(V)tacular, the weather is really shiitty. It pissed down rain all day here. Hopefully not tomorrow when I get it. 13 more hours and she's mine. I think that they know I'm pretty particular about the car. Especially when I bought it. Hopefully they did a good job inspecting it. Can't wait.

BTW Spec(V)tacular did you go to the last meet in Mississagua? What colour is your Spec V I was in Miss. last week and saw one by the Square One?

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by JTjr:

BTW Spec(V)tacular did you go to the last meet in Mississagua? What colour is your Spec V I was in Miss. last week and saw one by the Square One?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]depends which meet you're reffering to ... I was at the one across the street from SQ1 a couple of weeks back ... so if it was a Red Spec you've seen around SQ1 it was likely me ... I work @ the corner of HWY 10 and HWY 403

6speeder
05-09-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by StealthB14:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Originally posted by zackcruz:
How many miles are you talking and just what is it you think you're going to get with a car as lightly produced as the spec v?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]If it is coming direct from the factory, I would expect no more than about 20-35 miles on the car upon delivery. If it were a dealer to dealer transfer, then I would expect no more than 100 miles on the vehicle. I know when we picked up my dad's 98 Altima, it was a dealer to dealer transfer, and it had about 86 miles on the odometer. I apologize for not specifying specific amounts.

-Sam</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]thanks for the clarification of miles but I was actually more curious as to what you thought you could get from the DEALER if you felt the mileage was to high. As in do you think they're going to lower the price, throw in an extended warranty, or what. You said "Use it to your advantage" but I don't think there is much you'd be able to do except refuse delivery of the car or insist on a different one being delivered since the dealer is not going to have a problem turning around and selling it to someone else. Hope that clarifies my question.

Mark F
05-09-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by zackcruz:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Originally posted by StealthB14:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Originally posted by zackcruz:

-Sam</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]thanks for the clarification of miles but I was actually more curious as to what you thought you could get from the DEALER if you felt the mileage was to high. As in do you think they're going to lower the price, throw in an extended warranty, or what. You said "Use it to your advantage" but I don't think there is much you'd be able to do except refuse delivery of the car or insist on a different one being delivered since the dealer is not going to have a problem turning around and selling it to someone else. Hope that clarifies my question.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Throw in an extended warranty?!?!?!?!

OK, but I'll have to charge you $1,000 over on the car images/icons/grin.gif

Somewhat more seriously, if anybody objected to a car with 100-150 miles on it I'd just look at them funny. If they persisted I'd laugh then offer them the standard depreciation discount of $0.15 per mile. The few times this has come up I've always been able to overcome this objection without resorting to discounts.

6speeder
05-09-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Mark F:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by StealthB14:
[qb] [QUOTE][qb]
-Sam<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Somewhat more seriously, if anybody objected to a car with 100-150 miles on it I'd just look at them funny. If they persisted I'd laugh then offer them the standard depreciation discount of $0.15 per mile. The few times this has come up I've always been able to overcome this objection without resorting to discounts.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Well actually that was my point, in the form of a question. I don't think the buyer would get anything and your answer is in agreement with that.