PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Spec-v/SE-R owners Read

Red_Spec-v
05-08-2002, 07:55 PM
Hi all

what we need to do is all, which means every person who owns a se-r model or just a sentra to call nissan and complain about the paint whether your paint is good or bad we need to let them know we mean bussiness even if your paint is fine now it may not be in the future ,we need everybodys help, let nissan know how pissed we are about the paint and feel free to mention the BBB to many complaints gives nissan a bad reputation and would hurt sales i don`t think they would like this, also bug your dealer tell him your not going to recommend him because of poor service from nissan ans bad paint problems on all there cars.

also go to

http://www.nissanpaint.com

and fill out the bad paint form

i can tell were having some affect already when you call nissan they are aware of the problem even my dealer knew about it all i had to say was look at my paint, they had a idea what car i was talking about

don`t let the basterds win we expect and deserve better from a manufacturer although are cars were still a bargain and not ridiculously expensive $17000-20000 dollars is not cheap and please don`t give any what do you expect for less than 20 grand paint story they have the same problem with $25,000 maximas amd altimas so it`s no excuse
images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif

after you call or bug your dealer post here thanks

[ 05-08-2002, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Red_Spec-v ]

**DONOTDELETE**
05-08-2002, 07:57 PM
My paint's perfectly fine. Am i the only person not having paint problems?

Aztec Spec-V
05-08-2002, 08:14 PM
My paint is fine too! You guys obviously have a little too much time on your hands to be posting about your endless conversations with people from nissan and the dealership. Not everyone has such bad complaints about the paint, but all we hear are these horror stories on how basically all the paint on your hood is gone. Your going to have problems with every car and for paying less than 20K, of course you're not going to have the best paint job!

**DONOTDELETE**
05-08-2002, 08:19 PM
man at first I thought all this crap people were talking about their paint chipping is not true, but then I was washing my car, wholy s*** I saw alot of cips! and I thought it woudln't happen to me! so sad!!!! images/icons/frown.gif

images/icons/mad.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
05-08-2002, 08:22 PM
Hmm my black Spec V so far has no chips. But then again you would expect chips from driving around the freeway fast.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-08-2002, 08:36 PM
My paint sucks! I have many chips on my bumper, hood and roof!! I dont know how the hell im getting chips on my roof. Also I have these spots underneath my spoiler. I tried buffing them out and they are still there. I'm going to the dealer to fight this problem. I shouldnt have these problems at 4000 miles. Ill let ya know what happens.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-08-2002, 08:54 PM
Well the first time I washed my car all this stuff started to peel off, I thought it was paint, but I think it was just the wax nissan puts on the car when its detailed or whatever. It washes off and if you do a good job waxing and washing your car it all goes away. So I don't know what you guys are talking about, nothing so far on my car except for that chipping stuff which I believe is wax...

Good luck,
-Jason

**DONOTDELETE**
05-08-2002, 10:06 PM
Mine has a few huge chips on the front bumper and hood .... I think its ridiculous... its almost like its a very soft or weak paint job if it would chip so easy.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Aztec Spec-V:
Your going to have problems with every car and for paying less than 20K, of course you're not going to have the best paint job!<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]That is pure Bull$hit. I payed less than $19,000Cdn for my Contour and after 4yrs had very few paint chips. The paint on these cars is weak. It is probably because it is water based, but it is still way too soft.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 05:43 AM
To those of you who are not having problems with paint I'm glad for you. Really I'am because I wouldn't wish what my paint looks like to any of you. However for the idiots who make stupid comments on how it's going to chip and the car is only a sentra please keep your comments to yourself. What you are stating are facts but mr. oubvious should also tell you we already know that and the problem is much worst then your normal wear and tear.

I have gone to two different dealers and have already called Nissan. Currently I have a claim with BBB Autoline and they only get 40 days to totally take care of my problem. If any of you are having problems with your paint even if it's not related to the paint chipping do something about it. Don't just sit on your A$$!

If your not having problems with your paint at least show a little support and don't make retarded *** comments on how you shouldn't do this and you only paid this. It is a problem and it has nothing to do with how we drive our cars. It has everything however to do with a lousy paint job on our cars.......maybe not yours!

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 05:45 AM
The petitions on the web really aren't going to get anything done. The best thing to do is file complaints directly with Nissan. Go to the dealer first and then call Nissan's Corporate line.

I have quite a few chips on my car, but there is tons of dump trucks on the highway every morning on my way to work. And the roads are covered with rocks. I thought it kinda fishy though I had all these chips, but even when I looked at my friends BMW 330ci that he got maybe 6 months before I got my car, he had just as many (and it was repainted once already for all the chips!!)

Although I did see a really badly painted Spec V at Carlisle, there was huge spots with clear coat missing. Of course he hadn't taken it to the dealer for it yet. It would definantly get repainted under warranty.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 06:39 AM
I have a few chips on mine, but they throw a lot of sand+gravel on the roads in winter.

I counted about 3 when I waxed my car. Acceptable considering the sound some of thsoe rocks make when they hit the car.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by CrazeD_SpecV:
My paint's perfectly fine. Am i the only person not having paint problems?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Mine is fine too. I would like to help you guys, but its hard for someone who has no problems. That web form wants a VIN#. Let assume for a minute that it does make a difference and someone sends that to Nissan for a list of owners with problems. What am I gonna do when my time is up and my paint looks great? If they figure out people were b!tching that had no paint problems, its not going to help those of you who actually require warranty work for the issue. I also agree that calling Nissan is your best bet. 1 (800) 647-7261. I also can't really call and complain because I have nothing to complain about. They will want me to take the car to the dealer... good luck to you guys though. I hope my paint continues to be "ok". With any luck, my $425 investment in a clearbra was worthwhile.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 07:05 AM
No paint problems for me either, mine actually looks really good (Vibrant Blue). Good wax (Zaino) and a bra should take car of most things I would encounter. The only thing I'd like to get are some splashguards. If only they fit the specifically to the Spec V!

Jeff

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 07:53 AM
if you think your paint is fine ... TAKE A CLOSER LOOK!

I thought mine was fine, but now after only 2 months I'm starting to become VERY frustrated! every time I wash or wax I see more and more chips. And all this crap about not expecting anything better for the money we paid! All in, I paid over $29K CAD to put my car on the road, and after 2 months the paint is coming off like a ripe banana peel; whereas my mother's 1993 Geo Storm which cost waaaaay under $20K CAD, has only been waxed a handfull of times, and has no idea what the inside of a garage looks like, has ooooooodles of HWY miles on it and only a couple of chips!

When Nissan produces a paint job inferior to a Geo there is something wrong!

[ 05-09-2002, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Spec(V)tacular ]

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 08:21 AM
Boomer,
I just want to say a special thanks to you for keeping on this and leading the charge. I am glad to know that is at least someone else out there who is intelligent and reasonable enough to believe that 20K is an investment that should come with quality returns.
To the three or so of you who somehow make enough money that throwing around $20,000 isn't that big of a deal and you don't expect even nominal quality in return, maybe you can buy me my new paintjob! Me, I worked and saved two years for this as I finished up college and this was my first new car, an experience I SHOULD be treasuring, not lamenting.
Finally to those of you who are not having problems, we are no way asking you to lie on our behalf. We would simply ask that you watch your paint meticiously, every time you wash your car and at the first sign of trouble take it in. Also, what you can do in clear conscience is call your dealer and voice that you have heard that there are problems with the paint and you were wondering what the next step is--the idea is NOT to overwhelm Nissan and its dealers with false claims, on the contrary those of us with the poor paint jobs are merely attempting to create an awareness that lets Nissan and its dealers know there is a huge (and growing) market of their car owners (their main source of advertising) that are worried about their cars' paint. They can NOT risk losing an entire market. Lets save 2003 owners a trip to their dealers and lets make Nissan deal with it NOW!
Will you take the time to help? Please call your dealer and the Nissan hotline today...you may be making you claim easier down the road.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by SpecV1:
Finally to those of you who are not having problems, we are no way asking you to lie on our behalf. We would simply ask that you watch your paint meticiously, every time you wash your car and at the first sign of trouble take it in.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I will be taking the car in to have the rear brake TSB work done very soon, so I will mention the paint thing to the service guy. Perhaps just making sure that he is aware will help someone else down the road, or even me someday. As for the other comment about looking closely at the paint, I have. As soon as I saw the posts about the car chipping, I walked down and analyzed the car closely. Also, I have hand washed and towel dried it many times. Out of fear of getting chips, I bought the clearbra about 2 weeks after buying the car... so far, it looks great and the clearbra is working effectively to ward off bugs/rocks/etc. I also installed mudflaps all the way around (cut my own for the front out of some cheapies from Pep Boys). If there is anything beyond saying something to the dealer that I can do to help you guys, let me know...

[ 05-09-2002, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: 02SilverSpecV ]

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 12:28 PM
i am not having issues with my paint with the exception of one chip in the hood, (but the rock was big enough to feel it hit through the steering wheel, so i would excpect anything to chip..im lucky it didnt dent). But my paint does look like an orange peel which makes me wonder. My car is blackout so everything shows up 10 fold and i didnt notice any paint that was thinner that other spots or anything wieird like that but go look at any other car and you wont see that orange peel (bumby) look.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 03:19 PM
Agh, my paint started to fall off today and when i went to the nissan dealership all they said was, "It's wear and tear and go get some touch up paint." I mean c'mon, my cars only 5 days old and it's already losing it. Anyone give me advice on what to do, already filled out the nissan paint report sheet.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by SpecV1:
Boomer,
I just want to say a special thanks to you for keeping on this and leading the charge. I am glad to know that is at least someone else out there who is intelligent and reasonable enough to believe that 20K is an investment that should come with quality returns.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]No problem... I know where you are coming form on this. I'm going to keep this going till I'm satisfied. With my hours I don't get to the track much anymore so this will take up my spare time. I suggest to you if your dealer doesn't take care of the situation file a complaint with the BBB Autoline. It will help my cause and others who are having the same issue.

SpecVTuner..

If you are already having and issue with your paint make sure your first visit to your dealer was documented. After you do that go to another dealer and get an opinion. If you don't like there answer call Nissan and file a complaint. If you get nowhere with Nissan which you probably won't file a complaint with the BBB Autoline.

02 Spec-V

[ 05-09-2002, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: boomer ]

Mark F
05-09-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by brodie2219:
But my paint does look like an orange peel which makes me wonder. My car is blackout so everything shows up 10 fold and i didnt notice any paint that was thinner that other spots or anything wieird like that but go look at any other car and you wont see that orange peel (bumby) look.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]The orange peel effect is normal with modern "environmentally friendly" automotive paints. I sell 6 different brands new with cars built in as many different countries. They all have the orange peel finish.

Red_Spec-v
05-10-2002, 07:53 PM
That`s it i`ve finally had it today after washing my car by hand i noticed i have chips on the doors the back doors and 2 on the roof i thought the hole point of buying a new car was to realy enjoy and not have to worry about problrms . i don`t have the time to keep touching up and running to then dealer and besides it looks like sh*t with all the touchup paint so i have come to the conclusion i`m going to have to sell or trade my car .

some good news though while i was at the dealer today pricing a in cab filter i succesfully made them lose 2 new car sales ,1 a new maxima and a new altima maybe they know i mean bussines now all i did was show them my paint and told them about nissan service then they got in there car and left. anybody want to buy a slightly used spec-v images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/mad.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
05-11-2002, 12:58 PM
I hate it for you if you're having paint problems. I don't think I am. Just wait til they repaint it! Overspray on everything. Try to trade it and they tell you "It's been wrecked hard. Paint all over." I sure hope I don't. I'd be demanding a buy back.

Zokambaa
05-12-2002, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by CrazeD_SpecV:
My paint's perfectly fine. Am i the only person not having paint problems?<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]And what color is your car and what area of the country do you live? I think certain colors are worse than others.. and areas that sand the roads in the winter are worse as well..

Zokambaa
05-12-2002, 04:31 AM
What a load of bullsh|t my sister has an older firefly, which is a substantialy cheaper car and the only chips and crap in her paint is from heavy rocks smacking the car or a$$holes in parking lots... I've had my car 6 months and it has more paint problems than my sister's nearly 10 year old car and she takes that thing through those spinning brush car washes too.

My friend has a base modle sunfire, that is black and is 3 years old and it has better paint than my 6 month old car, his car cost $14,000 canadian and my spec-v cost almost 9,000 more than that

And then there is another friend of mine who has a 4 year old corolla that is a dark blue.. and once again the paint is quite a bit better than mine.

Now that is 3 very different cars, all cheaper than my Spec-V and most of them don't baby the car as much as I do, yet their paint jobs are quite a bit better. I really don't know how bad my paint will be in 4 years, but at this rate it will be pretty bad.

Most people have driven other cars over the years and are going on a comparison of the quality.. if there wasn't a problem, people wouldn't be saying anything about it at the reates they are....

Originally posted by Aztec Spec-V:
My paint is fine too! You guys obviously have a little too much time on your hands to be posting about your endless conversations with people from nissan and the dealership. Not everyone has such bad complaints about the paint, but all we hear are these horror stories on how basically all the paint on your hood is gone. Your going to have problems with every car and for paying less than 20K, of course you're not going to have the best paint job!<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**
05-12-2002, 08:03 PM
Well i had a 1995 monte carlo and yeah it had chips buut it also had 100,000 miles and was beat to piss.... my car has twelve thousand and its on it way .... i'd say it will match my monte carlo's paint job in about 1.5 years.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-12-2002, 08:35 PM
Just did my first wax job on my 6 month old SE R and that paint is garbage. I have more chips on that than I did on my last Pontiac that I had for 6 years. I had probably 30 large chips on just the hood and I only have 10000Km on it. There was actually paint chips coming off and sticking to the bonnet of my waxer. Have to say that I am pretty disappointed.

ewraven
05-12-2002, 10:59 PM
I've got 8600 miles on my Molten Silver Spec V so far. I have found a surprisingly large number of chips on the front end. But, about 4000 of those miles are highway miles. I'm not really dissapointed in my Spec V. I am dissapointed at Nissan for the quality of the paint on the other Spec V's out there.

I've also got a 98 Frontier king cab(55000 miles) that is that one year only "Goldstone" color. The only problem I have with the paint on it is that the freaking Nissan touch up paint is way darker than the rest of the truck. I really don't have an unusual amount of chips on it either. I think the reason my Spec V has a lot of chips is becuase so much of it's frontal area is painted and it is so much lower to the ground.

I also had a 93 Super Black Nissan Pickup. Other than the nice big spot on the hood where a bird dropping etched itself into the paint; the paint on that truck was excellent. There is nothing like a really polished black vehicle.

I also had a 92 Super Black Maxima in my family back in those days. My aunt drives that car now and it has over 180k miles on it. The paint on it looks like it did the day it was new and it probably hasn't seen a fresh coat of wax in over five years.

I'm not defending Nissan here. I'm just pointing out that in the past they did apply some good paint jobs.

Zokambaa
05-13-2002, 01:24 AM
That is what I am saying too, I expected it to be up to the quality it has been over the years.. but they just skimped on the newer sentras and now use a poor technique... they do need to improve that... I would have gladly paid another $500 on the sticker price if that meant they improved the paint jobs...

Over all I am fairly pleased with the car.. it is just the $h!tty paint that pi$$es me off

Originally posted by ewraven:

I also had a 93 Super Black Nissan Pickup. Other than the nice big spot on the hood where a bird dropping etched itself into the paint; the paint on that truck was excellent. There is nothing like a really polished black vehicle.

I also had a 92 Super Black Maxima in my family back in those days. My aunt drives that car now and it has over 180k miles on it. The paint on it looks like it did the day it was new and it probably hasn't seen a fresh coat of wax in over five years.

I'm not defending Nissan here. I'm just pointing out that in the past they did apply some good paint jobs.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]

Red_Spec-v
05-13-2002, 07:47 PM
okay my madness has gone and me and my car went for a drive the engine talked me into not selling the car images/icons/grin.gif did the F*cking awsomest burnout and that made up my mind what can we do about the paint guys/girls

**DONOTDELETE**
05-14-2002, 09:19 AM
Having paint issues resolved is going to be difficult with any car manufacturer. Its sort of like the warranty on tires. When you bring the tire to a tire shop totally shredded and destroyed, they have no way of knowing if it was a defect, therefore are not going to want to cover it. I think the best thing you can do is call Nissan customer service and log a complaint about the paint. Anyone with a paint problem who has not done this, call them right now and take care of it. It will take 5 or 10 minutes. (800) 647-7261. Then proceed to call them back once a week to check on the issue. If enough people call and complain, they're going to be forced to take a closer look... I'm pretty confident that this is the only way you guys will get resolution. Your dealers aren't going to want to do crap about it on their own... images/icons/smile.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
05-14-2002, 12:48 PM
I have spots under the clear on my decklid(several), roof(1) and hood(1). I have numerous chips in the paint. Last night while waxing the vehicle, i noticed a spot on the front bumper. I thought it was a bug I missed while washing the vehicle. So I used my finger nail to scrape it off and low and behold, I scraped the paint down to the base coat or primer coat! My only question is this......Do I break the original paint and take my chances with the bodyshop painting the nose, hood, roof, and decklid? And oh yeah.....Mine is Molten Silver! Any ideas?

**DONOTDELETE**
05-14-2002, 06:05 PM
I just filled out a card from a nissan survey, and i said i love the car but the paint chips easily. I have had three prior nissan trucks that i drove in the deserts in AZ, and they never had the chips that i have on my black se-r. I only drive in the city of houston.
I have been very meticulous about waxing/polishing all my vehicles, and i would have to say the se-r is chipped pretty bad. Once it is waxed, the spots show up because of the wax stays in the chip.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-15-2002, 01:33 PM
i have a couple chips but the look like they r from road debree which is generally what chips r from im surprised and lucky i dont have more with how fast i drive