PDA

View Full Version : Well The Paint issue is....

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 05:20 PM
getting out of hand? I talked to my dealer and he blew me off.... Wrong move is all i can say the BBB and the state attorney will be hearing our case it will get handled or s*** will fly!

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 07:05 PM
hey rob...i was just wonder what was the BBB??
Yea what a d*ck head for blowing off a customer.
Are you taking this paint issue to court or something? Just wondering b/c it would be great for Nissan to do a recall for the paint issues.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 07:16 PM
Yeah, all this talk about cheap paint, I finally got around to look at the hood and it's chipping alright. It's chipping like crazy. Damn, no wonder the car was the best bang for your buck. Because we'll need a new paint job pretty soon. images/icons/mad.gif

6speeder
05-09-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by mrmatt:
hey rob...i was just wonder what was the BBB??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]BBB is the Better Business Bureau.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 09:10 PM
This was his exact excuse... "It's just rock chips, My wifes maxima has ninety thousand miles on it and her's has chips all over...." UMMM k what a moron fist off yeah i wouldn't complain if we had ninety thousand miles on our cars, we have 10k.... hmmm i don't think i'll have a paint job by 90k at rate this s*** is going. And if you look close different parts of the car don't match not to mention the flaws in the paint everywhere.... Its ridiculous... I mean don't get me wrong I love the car... thats not the issue but i didnt expect it to look like a four year old paint job... after 4 months. I'm pretty sure i didnt drop 20k on this car to have it look like it does... I didn't go in there saying gee i want a sweet a** car, but i want the paint to wash off in my first car wash, I don't think any of us signed for that.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-09-2002, 10:45 PM
Can someone post a pic of what the chipping paint on a molten sivler sentra looks like? My paint looks perfectly fine but maybe it is chipping and i dont know what i'm looking for..

thx.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-10-2002, 03:56 PM
Hey robspecv - I have a white spec w/9500 on it I used to commute it everyday until I picked up a 89 toy to rack the miles up on. The area I drive has a lot of rock trucks and its in cali. so the roads really suck, but to get to the point I am really disapointed in my paint also. If you find a good way of getting a complaint to the BBB let me know because I have never done anything like that before.Good luck

**DONOTDELETE**
05-10-2002, 07:40 PM
I have just about three thousand miles in about a month and a half of driving. I wash it once a week if not at least every other week. I washed it last Sunday and noticed a quarter sized spot on the hood where the clear coat was gone and the paint was bubling up. I got to looking and found about ten to twelve smaller ones on the roof of my car. I took it to the dealer and they told me it was from bird droppings and they wouldn't cover it under warranty. I called consumer affairs and talked to a guy named Chris Jordan who tryed to help me out. He did a great job fighting for my case but the warranty dept. said since the dealer saw it that is what they go by. I think if enough of us call and complain something will be taken care of.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-10-2002, 10:18 PM
Your dealer is full of crap - bird droppings will etch the clear coat but not remove it, I just took some bird crap (which had sat on the car for a few days) off my 240sx which was repainted in 99 after a wreck, and it left a mark in the 3 year old clear coat but didn't do any major damage.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-11-2002, 07:03 AM
This is all very interesting. I'm looking into buying a SpecV and the paint horror stories are scaring me.

I have a 96 GSX with 92K miles and don't have paint chips all over the place. It has been **** on by birds, hailed on (no damage luckily) and driven about 35K on the highway and I have a few chips, but nothing major. Don't let the dealer B.S. you bird droppings will not ruin your paint. If that was the case they would never have to pay on a paint claim. I think the only place a bird can **** is on a car. images/icons/smile.gif

Some dealers have no conscience what so ever. I was just at a dealer yesterday who was trying to convince me that there is no difference between a Sportronic Automatic and a manual shift car. Of course they also told me my Eclipse (which is in great shape and has tons of mods) was worth 3-4K tops. Guess i won't be going back there. I prefere the local Nissan dealer who tried really hard to sell me a fully loaded SpecV for around 18K. images/icons/smile.gif

If it were me i would call the BBB and State Attorney General and Nissan Corporate. They will blow you off unless you have somebody backing you.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-11-2002, 07:56 AM
Hey does anyone know how to approach this same kind of situation up here in ol' Canada?

**DONOTDELETE**
05-11-2002, 12:28 PM
Good luck with the BBB. If you need any help or references if it goes to arbitration let me know. My packet went out last week to the BBB. They have 40 days to fully take care of the problem. Nissan will deny your first claim through the BBB because 95% of the people give up after that. Dont be surprised when the deny it through the BBB. Tell the BBB your not satisfied and want it handled. Then you will start to get somewhere. Let me know how it goes for you.

02 Spec-V

**DONOTDELETE**
05-11-2002, 08:19 PM
GSX-DUDE

Don't be afraid to get a spec-V Mine has 5500 miles on it highway driving,city driving,behind trucks,bird sh*t on it and I only have One Chip. Its on the door from some one banging it in the parking lot. washed and waxed just the other day and I have no complaints.

Zokambaa
05-12-2002, 03:51 AM
I thought the paint on my hood wasn't too bad untill the other night I had the worklight out so I could check something out under the car and as I was carying it past the hood I noticed a whole bunch of chips and scratches that are harder to see during the day... the hood looks like it is from a 5 year old car and I've barely had it 6 months... and the whole side below the middle door moldings from the front tire to the back tire are all pitted and chipped to hell from the design of the body and the way the tires spew rocks and grime from the road all down the sides... just because Nissan didn't want to put the extra cash out and make front mud guards available for the ser/spec-v.... I know at the end of my lease, I'll be putting some reallllly cheap assed paint job on the car to make it appear that the paint is ok.. one of those 199 maaco specials.. yup.. stick those a$$h0les at nissan with a sh!tty paint job like they did me.

I wonder what paint colors appear to have the worst paint.. it is real obvious on a black one.. but how about the others? I suppose with the grey or white cars, the chips are hidden easier due to the light color

[ 05-12-2002, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: Zokambaa ]

**DONOTDELETE**
05-14-2002, 08:55 PM
First i was looking at the front bumper, and right in front of the lower opening, i have a big bubble in the clearcoat and paint. and today i washed it and found two large circular discolorations on the trunk lid. also there are the same color marks in half circle shapes all over the top of the trunk lid. i'm f***** pissed. and my dealer has worked well for me, but i'm scared at what they are going to tell me about this one. if they say bird sh*t caused it, i'll be even more pissed. i had a 94 thunderbird before this and i didn't have this many chips at 109,000 miles as i do on my spec v with 5000 miles. i'll let everybody know about this one. laters

**DONOTDELETE**
05-15-2002, 03:29 AM
Does anyone else see the paint trend here? It seems to be all you guys up NORTH. Obviously the roads up there are ALOT worse with all the salting, potholes, etc.

No wonder all you yanks are moving down South!

**DONOTDELETE**
05-15-2002, 03:42 AM
Dude location makes a difference but ... this is a little extreme i've never had a car that chipped like this, my fist car was an 1986 pontiac 6000 ... "Wagon" it had a beautiful paint job better than this one! it had 100,000 miles too.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-15-2002, 08:47 AM
I hava a maroon sentra in Arizona...Chandler to be exact..talk about miserable.......i'm glad my windows are limo tinted. i recommend bubble wrappin the whole car...also why is it I have to wax this car 4 times more than any other one? clear coat is almost non existant....

**DONOTDELETE**
05-15-2002, 09:03 AM
Haven't read thru all the posts but just want to respond to the original one. Cars these days are made of cheaper materials than cars 5 yrs ago. And cars 5 yrs ago are worse than cars ten years ago. You see, manufacturers are finding ways to save money to be more competitive and profitable. That's why sheetmetals are getting thinner.

Problems don't only apply to Nissan, it also happen to my 2000Accord and 2001 Civic. The paint of both of the Honda I own are very thin, probably like the Sentra or Maxima(todays). That's why they get chirp so fast. I can tell you these paints will fade in 5yrs. Compare to my old Dodge Van '78 or 86'Toyota Van I once owned, the paint haven't faded on this vehicles.

Cars these days(in general) are made to last for 5 to 10 yrs verses cars decade(s) ago are meant to last forever, atleast that was their original intentions.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-22-2002, 09:11 AM
To the guy that pointed out that most of us with the real paint problems live up North--that might be true be most of us have lived here for a while. Myself, I was born and raised here in MN. I have been driving since I was 14 (Farmer's Permit-45 mile radius from our farm) and in that time I have had three Hondas, driven on the same roads and in the exact same conditions as my new SpecV only these cars didn't have paint problems. I ran them all into the 175K + range and HAD NO WHERE NEAR THE PAINT DAMAGE I DO NOW AT 10K. When I bought my new SpecV I sold my old Honda to my sister. We were hanging out this past weekend and I pulled up next to her car. The car has 219,361 miles on it AND IT HAS NO LESS THAN A FIFTH THE SCRATCHES MINE DOES.

I am nothing less than horrified by my paint job and if Nissan doesn't offer me a reconcilation offer soon (I have one last paint appointment next week) the BBB and our local news (Channel nine news here) will become my new pen pals.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-22-2002, 10:41 AM
My dealer looked at the discoloration under the clear coat that is on my trunk and rear quater panels. He said he would schedule the nissan paint guy to come look at it. He said there is no denying it was a factory defect, and needs to be repainted. I am trying to find these spots all over the car, so they have to repaint most of it. I will pay for the rest, and an extra coat or two of clear.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-22-2002, 12:49 PM
this paint issue seriously irritates me. i've only owned the car for six friggin months and racked up 15k, and the amount of paint chips are horrible. mine is white, and it has become a daily ritual to touch up bumper and hood. the kicker of it all is less than two months after i brought it home, some punk or punks decided to egg every car parked out on my side of the street. bunch of savages in this town. let me tell ya boys, thats when you realize how thin the paint is on these vehicles. i had a 95 peon with 90k on it and never had the type of chip problems i'm experiencing now. we need to start blitzing dealerships, nissan north america, BBB, whoever can help to get some type of response in our favor. as much of a value these bad boys are, throwing down 19-20g's isn't chump change. if us owners can manage to be enough of a pain in nissans *** , we will get a response, and most likely in our favor. images/icons/grin.gif

Big Bizzel
05-22-2002, 01:54 PM
I took mine to Nissan for them to take a look at. The service bay guy said; get this .... "looks like you've been driving too fast on the highway". Like its any of his business. Then he said that he got rock chips on his Ford Focus. PROBABLY BECAUSE ITS HAS MORE THEN 5000KM images/icons/mad.gif Then he was trying to tell me how to wash my car. I wash it 3x a week. If it takes anymore then that, its telling you theres something wrong.
My previous car (integra) had 197 000Km on it when I traded it in. The paint looked better then my Spec V. Plus the integra was lowered 2".
I was pissed at his comments so I called Nissan and they said that they'll get back to me in 2 business days.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-22-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Big Bizzel:
I took mine to Nissan for them to take a look at. The service bay guy said; get this .... "looks like you've been driving too fast on the highway". Like its any of his business. Then he said that he got rock chips on his Ford Focus. PROBABLY BECAUSE ITS HAS MORE THEN 5000KM images/icons/mad.gif Then he was trying to tell me how to wash my car. I wash it 3x a week. If it takes anymore then that, its telling you theres something wrong.
My previous car (integra) had 197 000Km on it when I traded it in. The paint looked better then my Spec V. Plus the integra was lowered 2".
I was pissed at his comments so I called Nissan and they said that they'll get back to me in 2 business days.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Nissan will call the dealer and the dealer will say your paint chipping was caused by rock chips. Then Nissan will call you back and say we talked to your dealer and they say it is rock chips and that is not covered under warranty. Then Nissan will say you can try another dealer....I have been there and done that already and so have some others.

I filed a complaint with the BBB and last I was told is they should hear back from Nissan by the end of the week. Now if you do decide to go to the BBB make sure you have all dealer visits documented and an estimate on how much the damage will cost to fix. Also keep in mind Nissan will almost undoubtly reply back to the BBB saying they wont't fix it. Why? Because a large amount of people give up after that and little do they know they can still pursue the case. The BBB only gets 40 days to fully handle your case from start to finish. Remember that because Nissan only has 40 days to fix your paint so once you get that ball rolling make sure all your ducks are in a row.

I hope that anyone who has gone to their dealer because of this and was told basically to kiss off document it with Nissan. After you do that open a case with the BBB and fully pursue the problem. Talking and *****ing about the paint won't get anything done. Your actions speak much louder then words especially on a limited run car.

02 Spec-V

**DONOTDELETE**
05-22-2002, 11:36 PM
I agree that alot of newer vehicles especially anything in the 2000's are getting shoddy paint jobs. Easily chipped bumpers and hoods........

My best friends 2000 Prelude
Sisters 2000 Focus
Co-workers 2001 Maxima

The prelude looks like connect the dots!!

**DONOTDELETE**
05-23-2002, 03:56 PM
Boomer,
Thanks again for pointing us in the right direction. Armed with what you said I have my visit today documented and I will record all the info when my paint damage (repainting cost) is estimated (by Nissan). Then it's off to the BBB, hope to see some you there!!! Stick with it guys!

**DONOTDELETE**
06-24-2002, 07:51 AM
Sorry to keep rehashing the paint issue, guys, but I wanted to know if ANYONE has recieved any sort of positive response from their dealer or Nissan.

Seems like a lost cause. I'm taking my Spec in tomorrow so the service manager can look at it and say 'yup. rock chips. we ain't doin' nuthin.' Sigh.

I'm going to get a clear bra. Question: Should I touch up the chips first or just leave them?

Thanks.

**DONOTDELETE**
06-24-2002, 08:16 AM
...I know this isn't the ideal solution, but it works pretty well. My dealer gave me one of those touch up pens when I complained (not exactly the compensation I had in mind), ... you know what I mean, the $10 kind with paint @ one end clearcoat @ the other.

I touched up most of ths chips I saw with paint, let it dry, went around again with paint, let it dry. went over them with the clearcoat. then the next day I went over the whole car with the Mother's Clay Bar Paint Protection System (which I wanted to do anyways) ... and I have to say it looks pretty good .... barely noticable. its about 2 hours worth of work (not including waiting for it to dry) and cost all of $30 CAD.

**DONOTDELETE**
06-24-2002, 12:54 PM
Is it okay for a grown man to cry? images/icons/frown.gif
Upon further inspection of my hood today, the paint looks really bad. Looks like someone sandblasted the front.

Potential Spec buyers: If you do, get the 3M clear film or the wind deflector and put it on right away. Otherwise, you'll be unhappy with all the chips.

**DONOTDELETE**
06-25-2002, 08:04 AM
D*amn! I have a 1992 Chevy Cavalier with 228,000 miles and less paint chips than you guys. My car has been crapped on by many, many, many birds and my paint doesn't boil, fester, or peel up. Now that's just the way it's supposed to be. Immune to bird crap! I've probably got less rock chips too and I've followed all different vehicles from crotch rockets to fully loaded dump trucks with no cover on their loads and semis. That's just really sad! I'd definitely would be p*ssed at Nissan and I will definitely bring this up when I go to look at my Spec-V!!!! That's just not supposed to be like that!

**DONOTDELETE**
06-25-2002, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Unbreakable:
I'm going to get a clear bra. Question: Should I touch up the chips first or just leave them?

Thanks.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I had the clearbra installed at about 1000 miles. There was only one lone chip on the front of the hood about the size of 1/2 a pin head. If you're going to touch-up the car before the clearbra install, I'd buy one of the touch-up pens from Nissan as opposed to the usual paint in the bottle with the brush. The pen will allow for a smoother application. You dont want a bunch of little bumps in the paint where the clearbra will go.

**DONOTDELETE**
06-25-2002, 09:26 AM
Just a follow up..

I went to the dealer this morning, and the service manager was unmoved. Yup, rock chips, he says. "That's why we sell wind deflectors" he says.

All I got was a lously touch up paint stick. But this is what you can expect when you go complain to the dealer. Again, in my hindsight, I say get a bra/wind deflector right away.

**DONOTDELETE**
06-25-2002, 09:44 AM
i have yet to see the spec-v w/ a bra of any kind..any1 got pictures??

Zokambaa
06-25-2002, 06:00 PM
Wind deflectors dont do anything about the roof and the sides of the car though... why the hell can't nissan just make better paint and have mudguards available for the front on se-r/spec-v

Just a follow up..

I went to the dealer this morning, and the service manager was unmoved. Yup, rock chips, he says. "That's why we sell wind deflectors" he says.

All I got was a lously touch up paint stick. But this is what you can expect when you go complain to the dealer. Again, in my hindsight, I say get a bra/wind deflector right away.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**
06-25-2002, 06:07 PM
I installed powerflow mudguards on the front and now nothing gets past em...the sides now get 1/10 the amount of abuse it used to. I dont hear stones flying down the side of my door and i dont see the dirt spitting up either. The back of my car actually gets move dirty than the front now images/icons/grin.gif Thinking of putting powerflow guards on the back so all guards are the same length and should protect better

Zokambaa
06-25-2002, 09:20 PM
How do the sides look below that door molding from the front wheel to the back?? especialy without front mud guards... maby nissan needs to install some of that 3M paint-guard stuff in a strip below the center molding on the doors down to the side sills.... I heard they have that stuff on the Maximas... that way they could get away with the cheap paint a bit more...

Is it okay for a grown man to cry? images/icons/frown.gif
Upon further inspection of my hood today, the paint looks really bad. Looks like someone sandblasted the front.

Potential Spec buyers: If you do, get the 3M clear film or the wind deflector and put it on right away. Otherwise, you'll be unhappy with all the chips.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]

**DONOTDELETE**
06-25-2002, 11:26 PM
before my front mudguards, the sides had alot of dirt and chips. after mud guards, no new paint chips and a lot less dirt.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-17-2002, 08:19 AM
Has anyone gotten a positive response from their dealer?

**DONOTDELETE**
07-17-2002, 07:18 PM
I totally forgot to post here about what happened with my aribitration case. For those of you who forgot I went to two different dealers about the amount of chips on my car and they all blew me off. I even called Nissan and complained and they did nothing. Anyways I went to the BBB filed a complaint and went to arbitration. It's over now and I won my case. Nissan has to repaint my entire vehicle. I'm happy and disappointed all at the same time. For all of you that are having problems with the paint keep plugging away your not alone.

02 Spec-V

StealthB14
07-17-2002, 07:28 PM
That is so good to hear. Very encouraging news for those members who are having problems with their Spec V. This thread has helped out alot.

-Sam

**DONOTDELETE**
07-21-2002, 05:10 AM
if a dealer says it's bird droppings, next time WITH some bird droppings on it, go to the dealer and clean it off in front of him to show that it wasn't "bird droppings" simple scientific procedure nullify his "conclusion"

doctaCspecV
07-21-2002, 05:57 PM
yea, i just got my spec v, and it kills me to hear this. i am gonna cry. then, after that, i am going to look into getting a new paint job in about a year. ANyone remember that yellow SE-R preproduction model they showed in Sport Compact Car about a year and a couple months ago? Very tempting.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-30-2002, 08:14 PM
I've noticed that alot of the posts regarding paint/chipping problems are with SE-R's. Is anyone having the same problems with GXE's? I recently bought an '02 GXE in Radium. Zero problems so far... I also have a 2000 Altima, it has 24 k on it and it has only 2 small chips on the front bumper- none on the hood. It has been trouble free so far too. All imput welcome.