PDA

View Full Version : brand new se-r decided not to start 1 day

**DONOTDELETE**
05-19-2002, 10:10 AM
i'm new with cars...i bought an se-r in march...1 month later, it just wouldn't start one day. i brought it to nissan to service & they couldn't find anything wrong with it. as you can imagine, i was pissed. usually my boyfriend would handle this, but he's away so i'm asking all of you...anyone have this problem or know what might have happened?

**DONOTDELETE**
05-19-2002, 10:37 AM
you mean they never found anything wrong? is it working now? any mods on it, or totally stock?

http://216.102.118.146/bbb/specv.html

oh ya.. couple things people have seen.. make sure your battery terminals are screwed on tight.. one guys wasnt quite tight and it had a weak connection.

[ 05-19-2002, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: placenta ]

**DONOTDELETE**
05-19-2002, 08:49 PM
well...the day it wouldn't start, i was turning the key & it wouldn't catch for about 15 minutes. then, it finally started when i pumped the gas a couple times while turning the ignition. that day was the only time it didn't start. the dealership did a 27 point inspection on it, & could not find anything wrong with the car...i was images/icons/mad.gif !!! no mods were done to the car yet except for the crappy nokya headlights that shattered after 1 month! images/icons/mad.gif images/icons/frown.gif images/icons/mad.gif thanks so much for your input! images/icons/grin.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
05-19-2002, 09:24 PM
honestly, you should never pump the gas when starting a fuel injected car.. if you had to, something is wrong with a sensor most likely.

specventhusiast
05-20-2002, 06:22 AM
Had the same thing happen on my spec v.. Also happened on my wife's old 97 sentra GXE. With the old car it was partly related to the low end idle speed, but also found that both my car and the old sentra that opening the gas cap and removing the "vapor lock" seemed to help as well. I know.. I know.. these new cars are not supposed to be prone to vapor lock but I can tell you when I popped the gas cap I could hear air hissing.. Can't be sure if it was pressure being released or air being sucked in (no real gas odor) but that also seemed to help. I think that when it happened to me the weather had gone from fairly warm to firly cool and I figured that may have been what did it. As in your case the technicians for my 97 sentra could never find anything wrong with the car, but damn it was annoying.

D

'02 Blackout Spec V

**DONOTDELETE**
05-20-2002, 08:41 AM
I've noticed that my Spec is a little hard starting some mornings. I haven't paid enough attention to it to know what kind of mornings, just that sometimes it needs to crank a little longer. So I started treating it like I did my old rx-7. Turn the ignition to ACC and let it sit for a second before you crank it. If the fuel pump is electric (which I'm pretty sure it is) this will turn the pump on and get the gas flowing before the car is started. Then turn the ignition all the way to crank the car. Since I've been doing this, hard starts are gone. I'm assuming that where I park (a slight grade) causes the gas to drain back into the tank and the pump can't push it fast enough to start it in the "normal" amount of time.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-20-2002, 12:08 PM
Was the clutch all the way down?

**DONOTDELETE**
05-20-2002, 09:13 PM
mine unfortunately is an automatic....don't ask me how i ended up with that...i wanted manual (eventhough i need practice)...but somehow the salesman suckered me into the auto...i guess b/c i'm a girl. images/icons/rolleyes.gif

SR_PILOT
05-20-2002, 09:58 PM
If the car starts eventually with just the turn of the key. could be a bad starter soleniod. which basically means your starter is bad. and dont pump the gas pedal to start the car, wont help at all. just make matters worse.

**DONOTDELETE**
05-30-2002, 08:06 PM
since that day, i have had no problem starting the car with the turn of the key. it was only that one day that i had to pump the gas pedal while i started the ignition.