PDA

View Full Version : Toyotas SUV infatuation

**DONOTDELETE**
02-06-2001, 05:23 PM
Like all infatuations, they eventually find there way to the logical side of things and subdue. In this case of Toyota going suv crazy,it begs the question: how much more until the cow bursts. Lets see:Rav4,Sequioa,Landcruiser,rx300,lx450,highlande r,and 4runner. Wow. i remember the days when the japanese were afraid of product that would compete with its own exsisting product line and canabalize sales. Several issues to look at here. Obvoiusly, toyota is in its heyday. But will these trucks be longterm money losers, or a great investment? Ive heard they have a few corolla based mini gen-x sports type utes comin as well. Is toyota getting too fat? look at there web page, they have a total of 16 cars, 7 of those are utes,2 trucks. Aggresive or Greedy? Should Nissan follow suit? I hope not.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-06-2001, 06:45 PM
heh, take a look at chevy's product list... they're still selling everything geo made, last i looked. and they have more truck models than car models!

**DONOTDELETE**
02-07-2001, 12:35 AM
I admire Toyota for their product line. There is not a single vehicle in their lineup that is controversial, and nearly all sell like wild fire. With their reputation, everything they come out with will not do badly. If the B15 came out with the front fascia of the current corrolla, it would be flamed to hell, but as a Toyota, it is accepted and continues strong sales. I believe their truck/SUV lineup will probably still increase with SUVs like the Matrix, which will be another success and probably a full size Lexus based off of the Tundra. Sales and profits will continue to rise for them too as there are larger profit margins on SUVs.
I don't think Nissan should copy them, but as the lines between car and SUV get blurrer, Nissan should expand their SUV/truck line by at least double.

ChuckH
02-07-2001, 02:30 AM
I thought the Land Cruiser and the 4Runner were being phased out, with the Lexus LX450 keeping the Land Cruiser alive over at the Lexus dealer. I guess it really wouldn't matter much though, as the 4Runner has a sheduled predecessor and so they would still only lose the Land Cruiser from the lineup. I would like to see Toyota bring back the Land Cruiser as a vehicle true to it's original character. It will probably never happen though.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Veretta SX-R:
Like all infatuations, they eventually find there way to the logical side of things and subdue. In this case of Toyota going suv crazy,it begs the question: how much more until the cow bursts. Lets see:Rav4,Sequioa,Landcruiser,rx300,lx450,highlande r,and 4runner. Wow. i remember the days when the japanese were afraid of product that would compete with its own exsisting product line and canabalize sales. Several issues to look at here. Obvoiusly, toyota is in its heyday. But will these trucks be longterm money losers, or a great investment? Ive heard they have a few corolla based mini gen-x sports type utes comin as well. Is toyota getting too fat? look at there web page, they have a total of 16 cars, 7 of those are utes,2 trucks. Aggresive or Greedy? Should Nissan follow suit? I hope not.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
02-07-2001, 10:32 PM
Not really, the Sequioa is a different vehicle to the Landcruiser. Its like comparing the Xterra with the Pathfinder. The LX/Landcruiser is competition to the Range Rover with adj sus and such...I think the LX is the factor for low Landcruiser sales. If your gonna pay 50k, might as well get a Lex.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-08-2001, 12:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChuckH:
I thought the Land Cruiser and the 4Runner were being phased out, with the Lexus LX450 keeping the Land Cruiser alive over at the Lexus dealer. I guess it really wouldn't matter much though, as the 4Runner has a sheduled predecessor and so they would still only lose the Land Cruiser from the lineup. I would like to see Toyota bring back the Land Cruiser as a vehicle true to it's original character. It will probably never happen though.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As per my dealer friend, Toyota has no plans to phase ANY of there SUV's out. The 4runner is schedualed for a 2003 replacment. And the Land cruiser will remaine positioned above the sequioa...where will this take toyota? The main problem I see is there is too much product overlapping. I dont think these extra product will bring extra profits. I wouldnt buy a Landcruiser now that there is a newer,bigger,cheaper Sequioa.

240Xtrm
02-08-2001, 01:04 PM
Hey you all, I have to admit. You got to give Toyota credit for making that many SUVs more then any other automakers out there. My wife and I just bought a 2001 Toyota Highlander for her and it runs smooth just like riding in the wind. It won't overshadow the 4Runners, but the Sequoia might overshadow the Land Cruiser. I remember reading a short article in one of those SUV mags saying that Toyota might be phasing out the Land Cruiser by middle of this decade. Also why not make the new Lexus LX450 base upon the Toy Sequoia? I mean Lincoln have the Navigator (rebadged Expedition), and Cadillac have the Escalade (rebadged Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban). As you can see all those are in the full-size SUV range. So why not make the new Lexus LX450 in the full-size range? All in all thou, I like my little sporty 240SX better.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-08-2001, 02:08 PM
i just saw a brand new sequoia (as opposed to what, old ones? http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/wink.gif) at best buy... it actually looked damn good. i was surprised.

Zed
02-08-2001, 02:46 PM
I hope nissan doesn't follow Toyota's lead. Sure GM has lots of SUV's, but their market share has dwindled across the board since their good old days. I think toyota will be losing$ in the future more than they will make off this. Nissan should concentrate on a Japanese porsche/bmw philosophy on what they have now. SUV or otherwise.

Max Ima
02-11-2001, 06:46 AM
You can't argue with the buyers and buyers want suvs. Nissan just has to make them in the Nissan way -- Perfromance, Quality, Cool Design. That's what's worked for Nissan since they were Datsun.