02-15-2001, 01:28 PM
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/proyea/newnews/media/1-1973.jpeg

Nismo
02-15-2001, 01:51 PM
One word: Rich.

That car exemplifies the cliché: "money to burn."

Deadpool
02-15-2001, 04:05 PM
front end looks too cluttered and busy. Not that its ugly or anything. I like A6 and 5 series better.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-15-2001, 06:50 PM
Nice, Very Nice!

Infiniti
02-15-2001, 07:50 PM
One word but with many letters: drooooooooooooolllll

Zed
02-15-2001, 07:55 PM
Sweet and Solid. M-B gets my thumbs up.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-15-2001, 08:54 PM
i'd like it better with a more conservative front clip.

hiwayman17
02-16-2001, 03:35 PM
SWEET!

thearabian
02-16-2001, 05:31 PM
how could we see new pics of the E-Class?

MB has a product cycle of 8 years and the present E is only 4 years old
its unlikely that such a prototype actually exists

all things said, this car is consistent with all other Benzos, simple, elegant andgreat-looking

Infiniti
02-16-2001, 08:14 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thearabian:

all things said, this car is consistent with all other Benzos, simple, elegant andgreat-looking<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Spy shots have been going around form anywhere of 4-6months now. The new E Clas will come out this year or next year. I guess that means the product cylce is being sped up.

**DONOTDELETE**
02-16-2001, 08:21 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thearabian:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It could be a computer-enhanced spy shot..

**DONOTDELETE**
02-23-2001, 10:07 AM
I love the nose! I think that the styling is right on. . .it's agressive but still refined. I'll take one please!

ChuckH
02-23-2001, 10:33 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dnunzio:
I love the nose! I think that the styling is right on. . .it's agressive but still refined. I'll take one please!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, me too! http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif An update like that will make the E series cars more attractive to younger buyers, but shouldn't affect sales to middle aged folks. Nice!

SHIFT_6speeds
02-24-2001, 09:57 AM
I Think it just looks like every other mercedes already out here. Why can't MB get rid of the old folks stand up hood ornament and huge (did I say chrome) cow-catcher grilles. Under the skin these are magnificent, well engineered Machines. It just seems to me that you have to have a full head of grey hair to qualify to by one of their products...maybe it is the snob appeal I get from them that I just can't stand.... If I had the money to spend on one of these, I would totally shop BMW 1st...

**DONOTDELETE**
03-03-2001, 10:09 AM

all things said, this car is consistent with all other Benzos, simple, elegant andgreat-looking<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One word, Competition http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/grin.gif

Yeah it's a great looking car!!! I'll take one!!! But are you guys sure this is the new E-class?? I think this might be the new sport version of the C-class.

Zed
03-03-2001, 10:58 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ThereturnofHammerman:
One word, Competition http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/grin.gif

Yeah it's a great looking car!!! I'll take one!!! But are you guys sure this is the new E-class?? I think this might be the new sport version of the C-class.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The new C class has molded together lights. this not the C class. It may be a 'shopped' image, but of a E class.

shaun
03-08-2001, 08:06 PM
I dont think this is a whole new car...Its not a shape change...It's just a face lift. A rather nice one, but none the less just a face lift. Kind of like the difference in appearance between the 99 and 01 pathfinders. But it does look excellent.

Deadpool
03-09-2001, 07:43 AM
I'd believe it if its a new E class. Simply because of the evolutionary design over an all new design theme. But, seeing how C class followed the S class lead with the design, wouldnt it be appropriate for MB to do the same with E class?

**DONOTDELETE**
03-09-2001, 07:57 AM
Do not expect to see this nature of the Benz in the states. It is releasing in N. Germany and swiss area.
Yet not rolling into the states(at this time) and has no date as of when.(As of this post)
And the NEW C-class, which we MAY be getting does tapper off the E-class styling(still in work).
And a little hint- - - PWR
http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/cool.gif

P.S. I know nothing more than that which I am shown. And which is available to those who seek. Or... are in the right place at the right time..
Got a quarter!?? Flip! http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/cool.gif

Zed
03-09-2001, 08:51 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by shaun:
I dont think this is a whole new car...Its not a shape change...It's just a face lift. A rather nice one, but none the less just a face lift. Kind of like the difference in appearance between the 99 and 01 pathfinders. But it does look excellent.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check the roof line, its rounded and there are new creases on the sides. This picture is not a Cclass or facelifted Eclass. Its a 'new' Eclass pic.
http://www.mercedes.com/globpics/photos_e-class/e2.jpg
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/proyea/newnews/media/1-1973.jpeg

Nizzan
03-20-2001, 08:20 PM
I see Lexus GS all over those headlamps. BUT, Lexus is following the trend of mercedes and copped of MB for those type of headlamps. Lexus did the same with the new LS430, knockoff S class syling. Very nicely done by MB, I'm sure that the new E class will get the pyramid shaped taillights too.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-12-2001, 07:49 PM
Well I gotta admit MB has done it again http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/grin.gif ...droolllll

The car is great compared the to already existent E-Class looks sportier and has a slightly reshaped grille, it also appears to have a new side-skirt making it look lower...Looking at all the MB's I can't help but notice that MB is so conservative (designwise), most models of other car companies have minor re-styles and then full re-designs. But MB's seems to always have minor re-styles nothing dramatic but something you can get usto and like. That's why MB is so successfull yet a bit boring for younger buyers, unlike BMW which is similarly conservative but aimed at a younger crowd.

djcunnin
04-13-2001, 07:22 AM
I saw those pictures in Automobile Magazine I think...there was a rear shot too that had the back looking similar to the S class. I think this car looks SWEEETT! No, I am not a grey haired old man, I'm 25. I had talked to a MB dealer a little while ago and he told me that MB would be restyling the E to look similar to whatI see in the pics, he also said the new AMG version would kick some major M5 butt! I also think that was mentioned in the article that I read. At any rate, I love it...and I'd buy one if I had $80 K to blow.

Zed
04-14-2001, 10:09 AM
upon closer inspection, this is definatly a p/s pic. the headlight seams and reflections on the windsheild r give aways.

'87 Sentra
04-14-2001, 01:18 PM
I like the inserts that MB uses on their bumpers. I wish that Infinity would do something similar to that, but not the fake chrome that you see on American cars though.

Infiniti
04-14-2001, 03:28 PM
If Infiniti did that, than they be blamed for copying. http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif The Cima has em though...

djcunnin
04-14-2001, 06:53 PM
I just looked at Automobile Magazine again and they said this car is supposed to debut later this year...so we'll just have to wait and see.

Nizmo
04-15-2001, 01:43 PM
if u look carefully, it's an AMG e-class with the photoshop job done to it.

djcunnin
04-18-2001, 07:34 PM
This was posted on MBNZ.org, I don't know if this helps clear anything up or not, but it's some neat info:
http://www.mbnz.org/W203/messages/1103.html

**DONOTDELETE**
04-18-2001, 08:54 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nismoMan:
if u look carefully, it's an AMG e-class with the photoshop job done to it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, that's what I thought too, but when I examined the details closely I found the two cars to be very dissimilar.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-20-2001, 07:41 PM
If you check this month's issue of Automobile Magazine, they show the exact same picture, along with a rear end and interior pic, as the next E-Class. The rear end looks very much like the C-Class, with the third brake light on the decklid, etc.

Also, the 4.3L is being dropped in favor of the 5.0L V8 with 306 hp! Not much more than the GS430, but probably a torque monster! Dang, Infiniti needs a GS/E/5 competitor soon -- imagine what the 4.5L would be like in a much smaller car!

thearabian
04-20-2001, 08:17 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carguy714:

5.0L V8 with 306 hp<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not Impressed,
also this is weird as the S is available with 2 V8's
does this mean they are dropping the 4.3 from all their cars?

Zed
04-22-2001, 01:38 PM
it maybe a photoshopped c-class. the roof is very simular to the c class mb.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-23-2001, 03:39 PM

Not Impressed,
does this mean they are dropping the 4.3 from all their cars?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not? The BMW 540i has 282 hp, and still matches the Q's acceleration time (0-60). This Benz ought to be just as quick.

thearabian
04-23-2001, 06:49 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ThereturnofHammerman:
Why not? The BMW 540i has 282 hp, and still matches the Q's acceleration time (0-60). This Benz ought to be just as quick.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the s with the 5.0L V8 gets 303 HP and this engine is old
this one gets 306 HP
so basically the increase in power can be attributed to a larger engine only and no "new technology"
thats why i'm not impressed with Mercedes

also the 540 is fast because it has 6 speed and it's lighter than the Q
this benz should be lighter than the Q as well, but with an automatic and the lower power will make acceleration figures similar

all this to reiterate my point that the Q competes with the S430, BMW 740 and LS430

**DONOTDELETE**
04-23-2001, 07:35 PM

Not Impressed,
does this mean they are dropping the 4.3 from all their cars?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I'm not really impressed with the power output figures either, considering this car will be on the market for 6-8 years, and by that time, who knows, the Q will probably have 400 hp standard, and other cars will at least have 320 hp. The thing I'm more surprised with is the fact that they are using a fairly large V8, instead of just improving the efficiency of the adequate 4.3L. The current E430 is about 53k, already somewhat overpriced. Considering that the S500 starts at 72k, and that this new E will have many features borrowed from the S, this leads me to believe that the price will go up significantly. But most likely, MB will do what they did with the new C and make it very cheap. I can definitely tell a difference between the quality of materials in a 2000 C and 2001 C. Looks like the E will share the same fate.

Infiniti
04-24-2001, 12:36 PM
also the 540 is fast because it has 6 speed and it's lighter than the Q
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 5 isnt as fast as the Q. Its a few ticks slower. But the Q is actually 200 lbs lighter than the 5 series.