PDA

View Full Version : First Car- Help

**DONOTDELETE**
03-17-2001, 11:42 AM
Hello,

I'm a highschool student and my parents want me to get a new car once I get my license. It's far away, but i need to do some researching. I'm planning on getting a car summer of 2002 and was wondering what to get. I can buy a at the highest $22,000 to $23,000. Since my dad is real strict on cars, these are the cars i've considered

Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T- I heard that in 2002 they'll have an upgraded 1.8t engine for it, guessing they're adding the chip...is that true?

Nissan SE-R v-spec- I really want this car http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/grin.gif but i don't know if i can convince my parents to let me get a Japanese car =\
Mazda Protege MP3- i heard that there's going to be a limited supply of this version...so maybe not.

Can anyone help me choose or give advice on what car to buy...or to consider

thanx
-3dge

**DONOTDELETE**
03-17-2001, 02:04 PM
Well i cannot get:

2-doors
Rear Wheel drive

that's basically it...plus there's different car company's i can't buy from like..honda, mitsu...about any Japanese car except for toyota's and maybe nissans.

heh. =\

**DONOTDELETE**
03-17-2001, 03:40 PM
good god, you're mostly limited to fwd four door domestics?? i feel your pain!

well, if i were you, i would definately start lobbying for that v-spec...

thearabian
03-17-2001, 10:19 PM
the jetta is a fast car, very fun to drive, but VW's are too expensive for what you get

i might be biased, but given all your restrictons, i'd say go for the SE-R

**DONOTDELETE**
03-18-2001, 01:25 AM
are we restricted to fwd 4cyl econoboxes, or what? a decently equipped mustang gt rings in at ~23k retail... insurance payments would kick your ass, but hey http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif

or you could buy something used that would have cost a good bit more new...

hiwayman17
03-18-2001, 04:26 PM
I'm going to preach here! Whenever you limit your choices, you are boxing yourself into narrow minded, predetermined prejudices. This is bad.

This is the Choice Generation. You have unlimited choices and the responsibilities that go along with the choices. There are so many cars you should/could consider. If you don't test drive and evaluate for yourself, you will never know how good or bad a car is. A car with a great reputation for performance and/or reliability might be a poor choice for you whereas a car without the mystique might be a better choice.

And don't forget to do research!

67PATROL
03-18-2001, 10:47 PM
Hey dude, sorry to say it , but you are one lucky little sh**!! Anybody who's parents are buying them a brand new 23000 dollar car should be elated they don't have to drive some old piece of junk. I don't know where you are coming from, but are you sure you want to be labeled a "little rich kid" by driving some spanking new car to high school? Just thought I'd throw that out there for you to ponder. But hey if you are gonna spend that much, then hey more power to you. If you are looking at Jettas be sure and track down a Turbo Diesel one. I know what you are thinking, "diesels suck!" but I bet you'd be surprised. They get 49mpg and are quicker than a regular gas jetta. Just something to think about. I don't know what your parents have against japanese cars. If they were smart they would buy you a nissan!!! http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/wink.gif You can get a loaded maxima se that is rather new (maybe even a 2000 model) for around 23,000. With a car like that you wouldn't have to worry about many people embarrassing you at a stoplight. Btw when I was your age, (only 7 yrs ago) I was either drivin a 72 diesel mercedes to school or my 67 nissan patrol that could barely doe 55mph without blowing up!! So you know what I mean when I say you are lucky.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-19-2001, 12:54 AM
If, I was in your shoes......
Let's see!? Snow and ice in winter, Rain like crazy for short periods in early spring?
What can I get to go thru all this and be sporty? If you can find one. And you have time to look.. Get the Mitsubishi Galant GTZ V6. It will have everything you want for Stereo sound, ride looks and eye catching lines. And with a mod air intake plus exhaust, can hit 210HP.
LOOK AT 1 on the web site.. OH YEA- itsa 4door, so insurance companies will NOT rate it outrageous.

Of course, this is IF a Nissan is out of your hands.
http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/cool.gif

SHIFT_6speeds
03-19-2001, 11:53 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spec240sx:
If, I was in your shoes......
Let's see!? Snow and ice in winter, Rain like crazy for short periods in early spring?
What can I get to go thru all this and be sporty? If you can find one. And you have time to look.. Get the Mitsubishi Galant GTZ V6. It will have everything you want for Stereo sound, ride looks and eye catching lines. And with a mod air intake plus exhaust, can hit 210HP.
LOOK AT 1 on the web site.. OH YEA- itsa 4door, so insurance companies will NOT rate it outrageous.

Of course, this is IF a Nissan is out of your hands.
http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/cool.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but Mitsu quality...I am sure your folks would want you to get a car made by a company that had not recently been caught at poor quality games....

Go Subaru WRX!

**DONOTDELETE**
03-19-2001, 12:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3dge:
Hello,

I'm a highschool student and my parents want me to get a new car once I get my license.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with 67patrol why are you moaning about a limited choice, my first car was a 13 year old piece of rust with 4 wheels, it has taken me 5 years to build up to a 92 S13 200sx and that wasn't with my own money.......thankyou mr bank manager.

Zed
03-20-2001, 10:36 AM
The Sentra SER Spec V gets my vote: bang for buck, reliability and its an SE-R.

redlyne
03-21-2001, 04:14 PM
I have to take 3dge's side on this... He wasn't complaining, he was simply asking for advice. Hell, even if he was getting it free (which is an assumption made in haste, most parents I know, while not that strict, will NOT let their kid go buy a money pit/deathtrap/lemon car, and they have every right to stick their noses in that decision) then I'm quite sure he'd want to make an informed choice. He's paying for it, so he asked for help in making a choice. We really should try and sway him over to the nissan side http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/wink.gif , and stop criticizing him.
&lt; /rant &gt;

As for what car you should get I'd try for the Sentra. Why won't your dad let you get a Nissan, or any Japanese car, for that matter? Anyway, the SE-R will spank everything in it's range and be good looking, too. Nissan's quality easily rivals euro cars of twice the price, and are just as (prolly more) reliable. Besides, the turbo jetta will get you raped as far as insurance goes. Insurance companies love turbo cars. I know zero about the mazda, but I think the SE-R will still be a better buy.

My first car was a '91 4dr 4cyl cavalier. Biggest POS I've ever driven. I will never drive one again. I had a friend die in one (a '98) and been w/ another when the car stalled in the middle of an intersection ('99 sunfire, same idea). They are slow, ugly, dangerous money pits. Just a warning for ya, I've had bad times with cavy's. I have a '90 240 now, best car I've ever owned. I don't think I'll ever sell it. Whatever you choose man, good luck w/ it. And help your 'rents see the light that is nissan.... come in to the light... http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif j/k

Sean

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 3dge:
67Patrol,

Did i ever say my parents were buying me a car?

I am buying me a car, with my money...little rich kid. I have a job, and i'm not getting a car because i'm spoiled, it's because i work for it.

Maybe i'm being cocky, but so be it <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by redlyne (edited 03-21-2001).]

SHIFT_6speeds
03-21-2001, 06:24 PM
If you are buying it with your own money, then why do your parents have so much control over what you buy... All I can say is I wish I was able to buy a 20grand car new at 17 years old. When I was your age, the money I earned at that time, I could do with it whatever I pleased. My parents respected my decisions. I was always smart with my moeny anyway...so I earned that respect.

I am sure those who mentioned you being spoiled, said so to open your eyes so you can see how lucky you are. Being so "financially gifted" at your age should not be taken for granted. Enjoy your car shopping experience and if you decide on the SE-R V-spec, then welcome aboard!

But being so finacially gifted, remember and shop everything that interests you in your price range... and buy what fits your needs and desires.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by SentraSE-Rman (edited 03-21-2001).]

**DONOTDELETE**
03-22-2001, 01:31 AM
67Patrol,

Did i ever say my parents were buying me a car?

I am buying me a car, with my money...little rich kid. I have a job, and i'm not getting a car because i'm spoiled, it's because i work for it.

Maybe i'm being cocky, but so be it

kyoshiro
03-22-2001, 10:39 PM
Have you considered the upcoming 3-door Ford Focus SVT? - http://www.svt.ford.com/focus.html

**DONOTDELETE**
03-23-2001, 06:59 AM
when you're too young to register a car in your own name, your parents tend to have a bit of control over what you buy... not to mention the fact that until you're 18, your parents can yank your license at any time.

redlyne
03-27-2001, 04:02 PM
You ever decide on a car? Just curious.

Sean

Hello,

I'm a highschool student and my parents want me to get a new car once I get my license. It's far away, but i need to do some researching. I'm planning on getting a car summer of 2002 and was wondering what to get. I can buy a at the highest $22,000 to $23,000. Since my dad is real strict on cars, these are the cars i've considered

Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T- I heard that in 2002 they'll have an upgraded 1.8t engine for it, guessing they're adding the chip...is that true?

Nissan SE-R v-spec- I really want this car http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/grin.gif but i don't know if i can convince my parents to let me get a Japanese car =\
Mazda Protege MP3- i heard that there's going to be a limited supply of this version...so maybe not.

Can anyone help me choose or give advice on what car to buy...or to consider

thanx
-3dge

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
04-05-2001, 10:00 PM
I might be able to put in some insight here myself. I am now 17 and just went through just about the same thing you did except my mom did purchase my toyota celica gt for me but I am now making that up to her by buying her a new car along with my sister and myself too. So I'm not a little rich kid either, I'm a kid that has been working his a** off as a computer programmer and is now about to reap the benefits. As far as it goes owning a nice car in high school, I have had mine for over a year now and it is the nicest car on the lot and I have had nothing but praise from everyone at school. Of course there are the typical jokes and such but never anything done to my car or anyone pissed about me having it. Most people tell me how much they love it and how they like getting to see it each day as they show up for school. It is more dependent on who you are and how you treat people then what car it is. I know people with old beaters that people are doing stuff to all the time because the owner is an a**hole. I am nice to people and do not go out of my way to piss people off and nothing has been done to my car.

I would definately say the SE-R would be a great choice, nissan always has and always will make great cars that are reliable and good performers. If your parents are having a problem with the Japanese auto companies depending on what their reasons are I would say your best bet is to show them how smart you are. Get some research like quality reports, reviews, history of recalls by companies, other things like that and show them proving to them you are making a wise decision and that there is no reason to deny you a japanese car. If their reasons are more personal like they feel it is their duty as an american to buy american or one or both of your parents work for an american auto company I would have to say you have a little harder of a battle in front of you.

Some other suggestions I would make are:
Toyota Celica GT:
It is actually three doors not two http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif
I have owned one for the past year and driven it for 30,000 great and fun miles
Its been a great car and my only reason for replacing it is a have the money to get something faster now.

Toyota Corolla Sports Model:
I don't have a lot of info on this but if your parents are more likely to accept toyota over any other jap then it could be a good alternative.

Don't have a lot of info on VWs either but I know they are decent and I'm fairly sure would satisfy you.

Subaru Impreza WRX:
Could possibly tip the scale on your price range, you would have to look into that but this is probably your best chance for insane amounts of fun! The WRX is one of the most sought after rally cars in the world and anyone that gets their hands on one better consider themselves lucky. In fact, I am also looking into possibly getting one, not sure yet though. All wheel drive, 227HP, 217Torque and very fun to through into the twisties.

Subaru Impreza 2.5RS:
Similar to the WRX with slightly less performance and lower price tag but still a great ride with AWD that can be modified for better power later.

Acura RS-X:
This is the new Integra, wouldn't be my first choice but it is all about personal preference. 2.0L 200Hp FWD with the same 3-door configuration as the Toyota Celica.

I have purposely neglected to mention other models that were already stated but I am pretty much in agreement with all of the other models mentioned.

I hope that you do well in your journey to your first car. Definately go and drive the different cars you are thinking of because a car is an extremely personal instrument and so it needs to be a personal decision, based off of fact, but still a personal decision. The other thing is to remember that you are the customer and it is the dealerships job to please you, you will be the one giving them money and so THEY are working FOR YOU. It doesn't matter your age but some dealers may have an attitude towards you for it, if they do, deal with someone else, its your money, your decision, and ultimately your car and nobody elses.

When I went to get mine I walked to the dealer from school with a backpack over my shoulder, super baggy pants, and a stupid cartoon shirt and I was given the same respect as if I was 40 years old in a suit with a foot thick wallet bulging out of my back pocket, if I was treated any different I would have turned around and walked out.

Hope this helps!

**DONOTDELETE**
04-06-2001, 12:03 AM
A ford Mustang, focus are you guys joking? Unless Ford revamped there quality control in the last few months without anyone knowing, I would stay away from those problems on wheels.

Why are your choices limited? Do your parents have some bias toward japanese cars. I would go with the spec-v,maxima or a prelude if you could find one at that price.

**DONOTDELETE**
04-07-2001, 03:35 PM
I can feel your pain kid. Your parents probably don't want you to buy a honda or mitsu cuz of all the fixed-up ones they see, and it seems like punks only drive those cars. But convince your parents to buy you a SE-R... take them to a dealer.. and they'll see how bland the styling is. And once you get it and go to college... then BAM! Slam the sucker with some 18 inch wheels, bodykit, and if your budget allows turbo or supercharge that sucker...Just my opinion...

67PATROL
04-07-2001, 07:00 PM
Wow! sorry to piss anybody off on here! I almost forgot about this post its been so long. Well, let me tell you I was wrong when I assumed your parents were buying you the car, 3edge. Hey if you have that kind of money and are in high-school then more power too you. Yeah, and driving a new car to school might be cool in your neighborhood, I am sure it changes from area to area. I come from a little hick town where anybody driving a new car would instantly be labeled as a 'rich kit' but hey, I can't blame them. When you barely scrape enough together to get some clunker and you see some kid driving a brand new car to school, it can tend to make one kind of jealous. Anyhow if I were you I would save some of my hard-earned money and get some used car. Like there are so many more options. You can get something like a 97 maxima or so that will pretty much go faster than most other cars out there. Well good luck, and hopefully your parents will wake up and let you buy a Nissan!!!!