PDA

View Full Version : snow tires

**DONOTDELETE**
08-17-2001, 05:31 PM
-- 01 maxima se 20th anniversary
-- vehicle has standard equiptment Bridgestone p225/59vr17 currently on it. This will be its first winter. Will these tires be OK in snow (i live in Canada)
-- any alternatives? (buying dedicated rims+tires is maybe an option, but the budget isa factor)
-- thanks for your thoughts

**DONOTDELETE**
08-18-2001, 04:13 AM
Vancover, Moosejaw, or Huntsville makes a big difference generally most OEM tires are not designed to function in much snow [if any] say 1/4" or so whatever the tread depth is at the time [10/32" new].
Get a set of beatup 15" wheels and mount a true snow/ice tire on all 4 wheels you will be safer and safer to others on the road.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-18-2001, 05:34 AM
Thanks, I thought as much re: the tires on the car now. What info do I need to get the right sized rims and tires (I used slightly different sized snows on a previous vehichle, and found the tire shops were extremely reluctant to provide anything other than tires of the same size as the originals.

thearabian
08-18-2001, 07:24 AM
if you will keep the car for a long time, then please do your car a favor and buy dedicated steel rims

higher profile sidewalls are much better for winter so i siggest getting 16 inch black rims with 60 or 65 series tires

bridgestone blizzak are really good winter tires, but if you don't want to break the bank, go to walmart and get Pacemark tires, which are Good Year Ultragrips, renamed to walmart brand

that way, your mags will look nice for a long long time (because salt etc ruin them)
and your tires will also last a while with their rims.

PS non tire related, after uding your car on a snowy disgusting day, you should spray the car (especially the underside) with water to get rid of the excess salt, the silent killer
my friend lost his altima due to that...