PDA

View Full Version : Silver to white.....

**DONOTDELETE**
02-25-2002, 06:32 AM
I have a set of silver 18" and i want to get them painted white. Is this a big project and is there a special process and how much should i be expected to pay? thanks images/icons/confused.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
02-25-2002, 02:06 PM
It's not that difficult. What you need is some metal prep solution to paint the wheels. You will need to sand the wheel down to get the paint to stick. After you paint the wheel you can get it clear coated if you want. Or you can take it to a professional shop at around 300$/set and have them do it for you and powdercoated. I've painted my own wheels before and the paint has lasted.

MAKE SURE you use that metal prep solution though images/icons/cool.gif

S14 K's
02-26-2002, 10:52 AM
Does it mean that I have to paint the entire wheel? I mean the surface where the tire touches the wheel and the interior?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-26-2002, 11:58 AM
No. only prep the surface that you are going to paint. any part that you don't want to touch you will have to mask off and cover with newspaper or something, especially if the wheel is still mounted on the tires. It would be easier if you have them not mounted but not necessary. I did mine with the tires on and I just made sure i covered everything I didn't want to paint. If you take it to a place to have it done, let them know if you want just part of the wheel or the entire wheel.

S14 K's
02-26-2002, 12:10 PM
Thanks. images/icons/smile.gif
Did you use a spray paint? What kind of paint did you use or recommend?

**DONOTDELETE**
02-27-2002, 10:41 AM
They actually have spray paint out there specifically for wheels now. I have not tried them cause I painted my wheels a couple of years ago. I have a spray gun and I used PPG paint and used one coat of clear coat on my wheels. I'm pretty sure any paint will do as long as the prepping is done right so the paint will stick and not chip off in a few weeks.

Legacy
03-06-2002, 12:35 AM
about $45 per wheel to powdercoat. It's the best way.

S14 K's
03-06-2002, 08:01 PM
I have a quote for $122.50 CAD for each wheel. It's a complete refinish and colour change for the wheel. Is it reasonable? Anyone knows any good shop in Toronto?