PDA

View Full Version : Slam a 240?

**DONOTDELETE**
06-10-2000, 01:54 PM
How low can a 240 be dropped and still be be aligned, before modifications to the suspension have to be made to get it to align right?

For those of you whose cars are that low, did you have to remove your splash shields in the fender? If so what gets exposed? Also how are your ride quality, very bouncy?

'97 S14 SE Turbo
06-10-2000, 03:45 PM
Well, first of all, you will need to have special short struts in order not to bottom out the suspension or run stiff shocks.

Nissan are notorious for having relatively short suspension travel in from. By lowering it 2", you only have 3/4" left of travel!!! By this time you will need front chamber plates, and rear adjustable arms from Japan $$$...

Also, the 240SX is hard to get the tucked look without doing drastic mods. It's a proper sports car and not a Honduh. Also, the wheel wells on the 240SX is pretty big, and bigger in the front.

The easiest way to get the slammed look without doing damage to your suspension is to get a proper body kit like those from Bomex USA www.bomexaero.com. (http://www.bomexaero.com.) The sideskirts and deep front bumper will visually lower the car without doing so. Look at http://communities.msn.com/mryapshobbiesandstuff at the picture of my car. It's only lowered 1 inch, but it looks much lower than that...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by foolishboy_26:
How low can a 240 be dropped and still be be aligned, before modifications to the suspension have to be made to get it to align right?

For those of you whose cars are that low, did you have to remove your splash shields in the fender? If so what gets exposed? Also how are your ride quality, very bouncy?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

06-10-2000, 04:25 PM
Well, your front camber will likely be at the edge of its spec even if you drop it an inch (i.e. not much!). Basically, I agree with everything S14 SE Turbo said, but I want to add some more info. An inch will put you at the edge of spec for front camber, but you can slot the front struts or the knuckles to correct that (not hard). The back will probably max out at -1.5" before you will have to slot the upper control arms or the knuckle (not hard, but harder than the front since you need to slot more pieces). My car has Suspension Techniques -1.3" springs and the rear camber is just BARELY within spec at -1.5 degrees, and my front struts were slotted to correct front camber. I don't think you'll ever have to remove the splash shield -- I'd bet even if you removed the springs and let the car sit on just the strut the wheel wouldn't rub against the fender liner. Its that short suspension travel thing again -- the shocks just aren't designed to do it.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by foolishboy_26:

For those of you whose cars are that low, did you have to remove your splash shields in the fender? If so what gets exposed? Also how are your ride quality, very bouncy?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
06-10-2000, 04:32 PM
are you making a 240SX lowrider?

**DONOTDELETE**
06-12-2000, 07:48 AM
No not a lowrider. You mention special short struts. Any particular brands or models recommended?

**DONOTDELETE**
06-12-2000, 08:02 AM
Also on the short struts... Do they lower car by themselves given the same set of springs?

'97 S14 SE Turbo
06-12-2000, 09:36 AM
GAB Super Stroke, Tenabe ???, or A'PEXi N1 shock. The Super Stroke is built for use with lowering springs. Tanabe, well, I don't know too much about them. The A'PEXi units feature an adjustable lower mount by threading it in or out. In any situation, these are not mass production type product, so prepare to shell out the cash for them...

Also on the short struts... Do they lower car by themselves given the same set of springs?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

06-12-2000, 05:12 PM
I saw something interesting in this months SCC. On their project Sentra SE-R (I think) they use Ground Control camber plates that mount on TOP of the strut tower, giving that little bit of extra suspension travel. If you're really going to drop your car, this would be something to look into.

JonCarson
06-12-2000, 05:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by asad137:
I saw something interesting in this months SCC. On their project Sentra SE-R (I think) they use Ground Control camber plates that mount on TOP of the strut tower, giving that little bit of extra suspension travel. If you're really going to drop your car, this would be something to look into.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I've seen of discussions on the 240sx.org mailing list, camber plates cannot be successfully mounted on the TOP of S13 strut towers. There is a lip there that would need to be shaved off...WARNING! If you do this though, the structural integrity of your strut towers will be severely compromised.

That discussion took place a long time ago and I'm no longer on the list. If anyone has come up with a way to mount camber plates on the top of S13 strut towers. '97 S14 SE TURBO may know.

What do you say T.Y.?

'97 S14 SE Turbo
06-12-2000, 09:54 PM
Honestly, I'm not a big fan for slamming the 240SX. A regular sedan based car like the civic could use the slamming because it's original design is for mass transit purpose. The 240SX's original design was to be a race/sports car, and it's already fairly low. I prefer to do it visually. Right now, even with a big a$$ A'PEXi GT spec exhaust, I don't scrap over speed bumps or driveways.

If the car's main purpose in life is to only be carried on a trailer to a racetrack that is smooth and flat, well, go ahead and slam it. But to do it to a vehicle that's a daily driver is rediculous. It's as bad as those folks who put their rims on backward to get it sticking out the side. Most of those folks don't even know why they are doing it. They don't realize all they are looking for is the deep dished look, but end up putting themselves and others on the street in danger should the suspension components fail from such abuse...

...people may hate me for saying it, but it's all a wannabe look with the slamming of the car. All that it's suppose to do is to mimick the look of touring cars and expensive GT cars (read: $$$ expensive custom build race platform)

To me, the best look comes from building the car right for a specific purpose. I like a functional design that provides a unique look.

As for the strut tower top mounted chamber plates, well, I ask why, when existing ride height adjustable shock/spring units can do the job. The Sentra needs it because it is still a regular passenger vehicle and not designed as a race car.

I've seen more than enough Jspec cars that run these packages. They can get them low, but most, if not all, also are using side skirts to really visually slam the car. On top of that, I don't see any running cars running that low on the race track. Even the dori-dori cars don't tuck it that much. Most just run the right offset to bring the wheel flush with the edge of the wheel well, again, visually slamming the car.

To really get that touring car tucked look, prepare to relocate the suspension mounting points, other wise, it's just a waste of the suspension.

**DONOTDELETE**
06-13-2000, 08:46 AM
The slammed thing is simply a style, an attitude. I think that a car that's low and bouncing all over the place looks kind of goofy and impractical. But if it's low and the ride is smooth I admire that... as long as you're not scraping all over town.

It's just that to get it, you seem to have to sacrifice quite a bit of ride quality in a 240. I was just wondering if there was a way to have your cake and eat it too.

**DONOTDELETE**
06-13-2000, 04:43 PM
Slamming a 240 wouldn't look as cool as having fat and tall rims instead. I lowered my 97 240 only 1.25" and you can notice the wheel wells are wider (front to back) than they are tall (up and down) which looks funny to me. Does anyone else notice this, or am I the only one?

I have 17" rims which compensate a little but it still looks a little awkward when you stare at it enough. Also, even thought its a slight lowering, I avoid a lot of places because I've scraped my front end before. That might be because I live in a hilly city like San Francisco. I say save your money for some 18"+ rims.

Tim

**DONOTDELETE**
06-13-2000, 05:06 PM
Maybe the word slam implies a really low look, but all I really want is for the car to have about 0"-1/2" in the back and 1/2"-1" in the front above the tire to the fender edge visually along with the tire just coming up to the edge of the fender. I'm not sure how low this is on an s13 (maybe 1.75 to 2.25? drop), but I consider that look to be clean. I just want it without the bounce. http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif

JonCarson
06-13-2000, 06:06 PM
Maybe the word slam implies a really low look, but all I really want is for the car to have about 0"-1/2" in the back and 1/2"-1" in the front above the tire to the fender edge visually along with the tire just coming up to the edge of the fender. I'm not sure how low this is on an s13 (maybe 1.75 to 2.25? drop), but I consider that look to be clean. I just want it without the bounce. http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get 1.2" drop front and 1" drop rear with Eibach Pro-Kit springs.

'97 S14 SE Turbo
06-13-2000, 06:30 PM
On my car with the Eibach Pro-Kit, the fender to tire gap is only two fingers wide... If I get wider wheels, I can fully flush out the fenders. The car has a nice stance to it. Not high, but just perfect. And to top it off, the '97 factory side skirts make the rounded side sill look lower by having it straighten out. Some of the Japanese side sills are much more aggressive and will totally change the look.

Maybe the word slam implies a really low look, but all I really want is for the car to have about 0"-1/2" in the back and 1/2"-1" in the front above the tire to the fender edge visually along with the tire just coming up to the edge of the fender. I'm not sure how low this is on an s13 (maybe 1.75 to 2.25? drop), but I consider that look to be clean. I just want it without the bounce. http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**DONOTDELETE**
06-14-2000, 02:12 PM
A recent mag featured a s13 240 with a +33 17x7 in front and +04 15x7 in rear. A big difference in offset between the front and the rears. Anyone else running these types of offsets on their S13's?

thoraxe
06-16-2000, 06:36 AM
You could also buy upper pillow ball mounts possibly. They allow for changes in camber (and possibly caster as well).

Not sure about this one though.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-11-2000, 10:45 AM
I lowered the car (s13) a bit more and need to fix the camber. For the front, maybe I'll pick up one of the alignment kits from Tirerack.

For the rear, I was thinking of slotting it myself (like from the 240sx cca pages) but does anyone know of a another method of slotting other than plasma cutter. Will a grinding bit of some sort work? I don't want to sit there all day with a lame method either but would like to attempt it myself. It also seems like trial and error (also the toe in) any ideas on how to make it more of a precise procedure?

**DONOTDELETE**
07-15-2000, 06:32 PM
i've noticed eibach only mentioned once here. are 240's nimble enuf to not need better springs w/only a 1"-1.4" drop? not for aesthetic purposes, but for function. does anyone use kyb agx? what settings, if you do? is lowering a 240 @ the 1"-1.4" a real pain in the ass? i see the plasma cutting, slotting and camber plates coming into play, unlike the se-r's or 200sx's.

i also see no mention of sway bars? any available from nutech?

[This message has been edited by 2000SE (edited 07-15-2000).]

JonCarson
07-16-2000, 03:39 PM
The only reasonably accessible sway bars that I've seen in the U.S. are from Suspension Techniques.

07-17-2000, 12:26 AM
Addco makes sway bars as well. And you can get Whiteline sway bars (australian-made, supposed to be good stuff) through Don Nimi at www.pdm-racing.com (http://www.pdm-racing.com) .

Asad

07-23-2000, 02:15 AM
slammed 240 http://forums.freshalloy.com/forum/images/icons/smile.gif
http://images.autotrader.com/509/134/50913485_000909_240x179.jpg

[This message has been edited by 03 (edited 07-23-2000).]

JonCarson
07-24-2000, 03:25 AM
Hey! That looks like my sister's car! A totalled '95.

'97 S14 SE Turbo
07-25-2000, 12:26 AM
Nah, that's a '97 or a '98. It has sideskirts plus the ridged tailights.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by carsonjon:
Hey! That looks like my sister's car! A totalled '95.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RPS13
07-26-2000, 12:50 AM
O3 or Carsonjon, are either 240s from southern CA? I want the brakes for my S13.

07-26-2000, 12:09 PM
RPS13, the car's in Oklahoma.

1998 NISSAN 240SX, 2 door, 4 CYL, auto, loaded, black, hit in front, only $3000, REX MORGAN USED CARS (405)348-0212 EDMOND

if i get my brakes upgraded, i'll sell you mine.

RPS13
07-26-2000, 12:59 PM
Man, I would love to get my hand on a pair of S14 seats also. If I remember correctly, I would need some of the rear suspension from the S14 in order be able to put those brakes on an S13. Anybody know for sure? I really want to have the five lugs.

'97 S14 SE Turbo
07-26-2000, 04:37 PM
Buzzezzzz.... Nope... You need the front uprights and drill the strut mount bolt larger to fit the S14 bolts.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RPS13:
Man, I would love to get my hand on a pair of S14 seats also. If I remember correctly, I would need some of the rear suspension from the S14 in order be able to put those brakes on an S13. Anybody know for sure? I really want to have the five lugs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

07-26-2000, 05:09 PM
AFAIK, the rear brakes on S14's are the same size as those on S13's...could be wrong, but I think that's the way it is.

Asad

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RPS13:
Man, I would love to get my hand on a pair of S14 seats also. If I remember correctly, I would need some of the rear suspension from the S14 in order be able to put those brakes on an S13. Anybody know for sure? I really want to have the five lugs.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RPS13
07-27-2000, 01:47 AM
I really wanted the brakes for the five bolts. There are these rims I really like that only come in five bolts. Of course I won't being getting rims for awhile though.

JonCarson
07-28-2000, 12:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by '97 S14 SE Turbo:
Nah, that's a '97 or a '98. It has sideskirts plus the ridged tailights.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I meant, my sister's car was a totalled '95.

And RPS13,
My sisters car has been dead for nearly 5 years now. It was here in SoCal, but I doubt it even exists anymore.

07-28-2000, 01:07 PM
it sure didn't live very long. how sad.

JonCarson
07-28-2000, 06:07 PM
Yeah, she bought it brand new and had it for just a little more than a year.