PDA

View Full Version : cost cutting G35?

**DONOTDELETE**
03-14-2002, 05:24 PM
went down to the dealer this afternoon, noticed that this car is missing the levers for gas and trunk, and the rep say they are not necesary, also side mirrors are not tinted. oh, i forgot to check to see if the side mirrors acturally tilt down when engaged in reverse.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-14-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by gee35:
went down to the dealer this afternoon, noticed that this car is missing the levers for gas and trunk, and the rep say they are not necesary, also side mirrors are not tinted. oh, i forgot to check to see if the side mirrors acturally tilt down when engaged in reverse.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]Cost cutting is a b!tch isn't it.
I mean f#cking infiniti had to save some money some how so they can pass the savings to the consumer. Those b@stards, I see we lynch them.

But seriously why do people say infiniti is cost cutting on the G35. I mean the car cost 27k msrp and fully loaded will run you 35k. Were you expecting the seats be made from gold. what about a crystal steering wheel, that would be cool wouldn't it. Better yet, why didn't those b@stards at infiniti spend 50k/per car to produce the G35 and sell at a lose to us consumers.

We shouldn't be comparing this car to top end lexus, mercedes and bimmers. images/icons/tongue.gif

CharlieDigital
03-14-2002, 06:24 PM
No interior trunk release? No interior fuel thingy release?

Doesn't sound right to me. Perhaps you missed them? On the Maxima they're not levers anymore, they're located on the bottom of left armrest on the driver's side door. It's inconpicuous. My mom had a hard time finding it images/icons/grin.gif

So did you miss it? I don't think Infiniti would use levers.

GQ_Jay
03-14-2002, 08:32 PM
C-digs will notice this when he goes to drive on Friday, but the deal is...
trunk release is rubbery button on underside of the rear 'infiniti' plate. you can open it when the doors are unlocked.
gas release is similar. when doors are locked, the flap is latched. unlock, and the flap retracts nicely [when you push in].

The_Chosen_One
03-14-2002, 08:45 PM
Bottom line is...no one is ever happy about anything. There is always a problem somewhere about something with someone.

bluetentacle
03-14-2002, 09:39 PM
gee35, what you've cited are matters of preference, not evidence of cost cutting.

I think the trunk release is kind of cool, and makes sense--why the hell do you have to get in the car to open the trunk when you have to climb out again to fetch stuff from it?

Same goes for the fuel door release.

These two features, IMO, are long overdue.

tomegun
03-15-2002, 08:00 AM
I think it is kind of nice. One question, what happens when you go to valet parking? Do they have access to your trunk too? That would not be a good thing.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-15-2002, 08:10 AM
I would rather have the release buttons external by their respective components (just like window controls being by the windows) and not internal, so I think they did the right thing with the G35.

Infiniti
03-15-2002, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Thomass:
I think it is kind of nice. One question, what happens when you go to valet parking? Do they have access to your trunk too? That would not be a good thing.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]well, if theres a release inside, then theyd have access to it no matter what.

My moms C230 is also like this with no trunk release inside. It gets unlockled when the car is unlocked. I kinda like it.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-15-2002, 08:40 AM
quote--

"I think it is kind of nice. One question, what happens when you go to valet parking? Do they have access to your trunk too? That would not be a good thing."

The trunk lock-out is in the glovebox which can be locked when valeting the car. When everything is unlocked, I'm pretty sure that the mechanism for the trunk (the rubbery switch on the underside of the handle) is as expensive if not more expensive a mechanism than the one they use in the door on the Maxi.

The inside-the-door gas tank button has always been a pretty useless idea. All it does is cut down on wind resistance by not having to put a finger slot on the gas cap cover. The G35 doesn't have a finger slot because you can push one side of the cap cover to open it.

And yes, the mirrors do tilt downward when you put the G in reverse, which to me is more hassle than anything else.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-15-2002, 02:59 PM
hehe, gee35, u don't drive european cars then do you? I've been through mercs, bmws, and audis and they've never had remote fuel door releases or trunk releases. the trunk handle is always on the trunk, the fuel door unlocks (when it locks) when the doors unlock. that said, the trunk release on the G35 is not quite as nice as the 5 and 3 series, but still imho worlds better then a remote release inside the car. Also notice the auto up/down of all the windows. notice how there's an actual difference in the amount of force necessary between normal down and auto down. now try that in an audi when in a hurry. doesn't happen, it's too easy to accidently trip the auto down there. same with BMW. notice that auto-dimming and auto exit assit are defeatable (i assume auto down of exteranl mirros are too, but i didn't play with that), very nice. notice the GREAT sightlines (worlds better then the 3 series). notice the info center being up high and nicely visible. notice the d@mn clock is nearly invisible at night images/icons/mad.gif . Overall, i'd say that Infiniti MAY have been cheapening the interior materials, but the overall thoughfulness of the design is very, very high. This, to me, ranks higher then a *slightly* cheaper dash material (come-on people, it's not that bad, the I35 and E36 are much worse!)

CharlieDigital
03-15-2002, 03:46 PM
In all honesty, the button on the back of the trunk is phat! It's very unique, you have to try it to understand. I have a picture of it for those who haven't seen it yet (I'll upload later).

I can think or at least one situation where this would be better than an interior pop. For example: Dropping girlfriend off (or anyone) and he/she needs to get something from trunk...I usually forget to push the trunk release images/icons/grin.gif

I like the idea of not having the gas pop inside too. Why bother? The only times you open it are when you're standing next to it anyways.

[ 03-15-2002, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: C-Digs ]

**DONOTDELETE**
03-15-2002, 04:28 PM
Thank goodness it has European style gas and trunk releases. It's about time a Japanese car switched to the more logical and functional approach.

Marc

Originally posted by gee35:
went down to the dealer this afternoon, noticed that this car is missing the levers for gas and trunk, and the rep say they are not necesary, also side mirrors are not tinted. oh, i forgot to check to see if the side mirrors acturally tilt down when engaged in reverse.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]