PDA

View Full Version : LA autoshow G35 impressions and new info

bluetentacle
01-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Went to the LA Auto Show today and saw the G35 for the first time. Apparently it was the first time for virtually everyone at the Infiniti booth too, and I was more knowledgable about the car than all of them combined.

The car was Brilliant Silver with black interior, metallic centerstack and perforated leather, so it is NOT the same one shown on the FreshAlloy LA photofest, which had a tan interior.

The car was locked and they wouldn't open any part of it, not even the trunk. The visitors were, however, allowed to look at the car up close. It appeared to be equipped with the Nav, Winter package (heated seats,) and 17-inch wheels.

Unfortunately, there was no presentation, but even without the pomp, it garnered considerable curiosity. The remarks were uniformly favorable.

BTW, the much larger Z booth was swarming with people.

General Impressions and any information I could glean from the generally clueless marketing flacks:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Six-speed manual is on the way, though they are not sure when.
<LI>AWD is on the way. Again, not sure when.
<LI>In person, the rear-end actually looks very good, much better than it did on photographs.
<LI>The frontend is even more beautiful, though I agree with someone else that it could be wider.
<LI>I love the fact that the skirt is black plastic, and not painted. It makes the car much easier to wash, and appear more Germanic.
<LI>The analog clock didn't look at all awkward.
<LI>Interior material quality appears to be top-notch, even without wood.
<LI>I couldn't see manual levers for adjusting the steering wheel/instrument cluster block. Could it be electric? images/icons/confused.gif
<LI>The standard leather is perforated.
<LI>The rear headrests can be adjusted up and down.
<LI>The headrests CANNOT be articulated forward and back.
<LI>The centerstack is only available in one color--kind of yellowish metallic--regardless of the interior color.
<LI>The optional rear reclining backseat is going to be manual, as opposed to automatic on the Q45.
<LI>The grill is now chrome plastic, not black plastic as on the Skyline. It's a very handsome grill, IMHO.
<LI>There will not be a dark grey paint. This is a bummer for me. The color list seen on an earlier post appears accurate.
<LI>As predicted, many of the options available in Japan will not make their way here. Some examples are side-mounted cameras, rear camera, front ultrasonic parking assist, rear ultrasonic parking assist, etc.
[/list]

Overall, seeing the car made me want to buy it, even without manual and AWD.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: bluetentacle ]

**DONOTDELETE**
01-05-2002, 10:28 PM
Just came back from there... I gotta admit the G35 really looks awesome in person. The interior isn't as cheap as I thought it would be although I need to get inside to verify. The size is perfect for my next car. The trunk release button felt rubbery but they could've taped it or something. The only thing I don't like is the word "INFINITI" on the middle of the back. they should've left it with the logo alone. That way it doesn't look like the XG Hyundai model. In any case, this could be the best buy sedan for anyone moving from Honda, Nissan, etc... Now where are the AWD and CVT?

The Z... it looks great as well, better than I expected but the interior does have that shiny plastic quality to them. Looks like it would be a success, especially with the rumored $27500 price tag. Impressive...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bluetentacle:
Went to the LA Auto Show today and saw the G35 for the first time. Apparently it was the first time for virtually everyone at the Infiniti booth too, and I was more knowledgable about the car than all of them combined.

The car was Brilliant Silver with black interior, metallic centerstack and perforated leather, so it is NOT the same one shown on the FreshAlloy LA photofest, which had a tan interior.

The car was locked and they wouldn't open any part of it, not even the trunk. The visitors were, however, allowed to look at the car up close. It appeared to be equipped with the Nav, Winter package (heated seats,) and 17-inch wheels.

Unfortunately, there was no presentation, but even without the pomp, it garnered considerable curiosity. The remarks were uniformly favorable.

BTW, the much larger Z booth was swarming with people.

General Impressions and any information I could glean from the generally clueless marketing flacks:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Six-speed manual is on the way, though they are not sure when.
<LI>AWD is on the way. Again, not sure when.
<LI>In person, the rear-end actually looks very good, much better than it did on photographs.
<LI>The frontend is even more beautiful, though I agree with someone else that it could be wider.
<LI>I love the fact that the skirt is black plastic, and not painted. It makes the car much easier to wash, and appear more Germanic.
<LI>The analog clock didn't look at all awkward.
<LI>Interior material quality appears to be top-notch, even without wood.
<LI>I couldn't see manual levers for adjusting the steering wheel/instrument cluster block. Could it be electric? images/icons/confused.gif
<LI>The standard leather is perforated.
<LI>The rear headrests can be adjusted up and down.
<LI>The headrests CANNOT be articulated forward and back.
<LI>The centerstack is only available in one color--kind of yellowish metallic--regardless of the interior color.
<LI>The optional rear reclining backseat is going to be manual, as opposed to automatic on the Q45.
<LI>The grill is now chrome plastic, not black plastic as on the Skyline. It's a very handsome grill, IMHO.
<LI>There will not be a dark grey paint. This is a bummer for me. The color list seen on an earlier post appears accurate.
<LI>As predicted, many of the options available in Japan will not make their way here. Some examples are side-mounted cameras, rear camera, front ultrasonic parking assist, rear ultrasonic parking assist, etc.
[/list]

Overall, seeing the car made me want to buy it, even without manual and AWD.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: bluetentacle ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nizzan
01-05-2002, 10:30 PM
Sweet! Thanks for the info. I can't wait to see this puppy.

SR20DEN
01-05-2002, 10:59 PM
Cool beans. Can anyone go take some more pictures of this thing? I will have to wait till the end of February to see one at the carshow in Raleigh but by then it'll be too late for me to buy one. images/icons/frown.gif But at least I'll be able to make the 2.5 hour trip in my new Max. images/icons/cool.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
01-06-2002, 01:45 AM
Good observation!
I had the chance to talk to couple of guys at Infiniti and Nissan booth...
The response on stick was very shake at best which makes me think Nissan/Infiniti is waiting for market reaction.
One of them was mentioning how it will come with "sport package" that will give it additional 20 HP (280HP). Frankly, I didn't trust this guy but it opens new can of worms. But he was so adament on the idea. (Few months after introduction is what he said)
The nissan guy that came to Infiniti booth commented on how they are still trying to get the Z out in spring. Still won't comment much about the HP.
Another thing about pricing for G35 was quoted 27.5k-32k fully loaded. (sounds pretty reasonable to me... it was like 31.7k or something)
Frankly, the 3 guys I talked were pretty shakey to say the best... They knew all the mechanical and optional details... but I really wasn't sure what they were getting fed to say or not.
PS) I took quite a few pics and would like to post it up here somewhere... how do I do that?

bluetentacle
01-06-2002, 02:21 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR>I took quite a few pics and would like to post it up here somewhere... how do I do that?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to upload the images to another web server, and then enclose the URLs in
UBB tags.

You're right the booth people weren't exactly reliable. In fact they had to ask visitors, myself included, for answers to common questions. Perhaps they sent all the good marketing guys to Detroit.

There was this one guy with a spec sheet however. It includes all technical specifications as well as a list of option packages.

SR20DEN
01-06-2002, 08:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]quote:</font><HR> jinu117 : I took quite a few pics and would like to post it up here somewhere... how do I do that? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you email me the pictures I would be happy to post them on my website and let you link them back to the forum.