PDA

View Full Version : Test drive story

tomegun
03-13-2002, 08:44 AM
Last night I took a test drive, with my wife and niece, in the G35. I knew the whole thing wasn’t going to be good when I met the salesman, who was expecting me. My wife was running late from work and he kept going back and forth leaving me without saying a word about the car. Once my wife arrived he told us that he kept going to the phone because he was busy and he had just been promoted to Fleet/Internet sales manager. He said let’s go and he got into the car without saying anything or hyping it up like the salesmen do. We were standing there like “are we just going to leave without hearing anything about the car?” My wife asked him about this and he said he wanted to take the test drive and then he would talk about the car. I drove the car first and everything was OK (I will talk about the car later). As soon as my wife got into the car she told him he had to talk about the car. My wife knows about this car, so she proceeded to ask him questions that she knew the answer to just to see what he would say. She was pretty aggressive with him, and I was enjoying it. When we got back to the dealership he told us some things about the car and everything went downhill. I told him I would not be getting the wood when the time comes for me to buy and he told me that it is part of the premium package. Wrong! He didn’t know what the buttons on the rear-view mirror were that had a picture of a house on them. I asked him when they would be getting a car in with the sports package on it and he said this one had it because it had VDC. I told him that all of them had VDC and he told me they didn’t. I then pointed out the fact that on the sheet in the window it was there that VDC is standard. He told me that was something new. I looked at my wife on this one. Isn’t the car new! If Infiniti wants to sell more cars they should get rid of guys like this. You cannot feed everyone a line. If you don’t know much about you products you should be working at a volume dealership. I live in Las Vegas so it isn’t hard to tell where this guy works and it would be easy to find out who he is.

Now the car is very nice. It has a sporty feel and sound while maintaining some luxury. We’ve driven an A4, S-type, 325, 330, TL, and IS300. My wife likes the looks of the BMW but their salesmen ruined that (they are arrogant jerks). She likes the way the A4 and the IS300 drives. She likes both about the G35. I really like this car. My gripes are few. I think the opening for the trunk is small compared to the size of the trunk. I think they should have the capability of giving MPG, Temp and things like this (tell me if it does because my salesman didn’t have a clue). I like the interior quality, the get up and go, and the exterior. This car has the best overall package in its segment. I will say this about the IS300. I’m picky to a fault and it that car had memory seats I might have got one. I feel like when you step up you should expect to at least have the option to have things like this. By the way does the G35 roll down the windows from the remote?
Oh, they had a black G with chrome dubs (20 inch rims). Oh my! I know some of the pitfalls of having this setup but it looks sweet!

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2002, 09:06 AM
Your story sounds more like a Soap Opera than a Car Review...

It would appear that you had a "typical" Car Salesman, but I (personally) try to do a TON of research on a vehicle first and NOT let a lousy sales experince keep me from getting what I want.

Also remember that the G35 is brand new with a ton of new and interesting features and these guys don't memorize every little thing immediately, kind of like when you get a new waitress and she does not know the entire Menu..

I'm sure within a few months most sales people will be better equipped to fully represnt this car.

I can't wait to get mine and cruise it to Vegas...

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2002, 09:31 AM
I usually prefer to take the test drives without the car salespeople. It would be nice if they would be honest and just say that they don't know, the car is new, and they haven't studied up yet. Otherwise you assume everything they are going to say and do from then on will be dishonest and who wants to buy a car from someone like that.

Does anyone know if the car displays MPG, outside temperature, direction, digital clock if you choose that mode, etc? I thought that it did some of these things as part of the HVAC display, but maybe these come only with the premium package, or not at all.

tomegun
03-13-2002, 10:54 AM
The one I tested had the premium package.
I know it sounds like a Soap Opera but that's what happened. The car is a no brainer. It is my next car. I will wait for a deal though.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by kevinjhen:
I usually prefer to take the test drives without the car salespeople. It would be nice if they would be honest and just say that they don't know, the car is new, and they haven't studied up yet. Otherwise you assume everything they are going to say and do from then on will be dishonest and who wants to buy a car from someone like that.

Does anyone know if the car displays MPG, outside temperature, direction, digital clock if you choose that mode, etc? I thought that it did some of these things as part of the HVAC display, but maybe these come only with the premium package, or not at all.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]I didn't see any MPG. It does have outside temp.
Has compass (digital...) No digital clock I was aware of. I don't have premium package... Just leather with bose and sunroof. (My credit rating isn't exactly great... less on finance this way).

surfgroove
03-13-2002, 11:28 AM
There is a compass to the left of the climate control readout in the center info display at the top of the dash. The ambient temp is displayed to the right of the climate control info. You can lower all four windows with the remote. And they can be raised by turning the key to the lock position in the door lock cylinder (they don't raise by remote though). Not aware of any type of trip computer (mpg, distance to empty, elapsed time) like they offer on the I35 however...The little houses on the mirror are the homelink buttons (if you didn't know already...) Hope some of this helps...

tomegun
03-13-2002, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the info about the windows. I knew about the home link but the salesman didn't. I think that's something he should know. That question came up because my wife was just testing his knowledge. He failed and will have to take summer school images/icons/grin.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2002, 02:04 PM
This is what you get with the NAV system: So yes, you can get your fuel economy but it will cost you 2 grand....

With GPS sensors, DVD-ROM database, a tilting and retractable 6.5-inch color screen, and Infiniti's pioneering 3-D Birdview™, this option offers some of the latest in satellite navigation technology. Includes trip computer, maintenance reminder, and fuel economy.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2002, 04:14 PM
MPG... yeah...
I noticed it hovering around 17 MPG right now on my new G35. Probably the combination of LA traffic and break in period.

FanaticZ
03-13-2002, 04:29 PM
i wanna see the pic of the g on dubs

**DONOTDELETE**
03-13-2002, 07:03 PM
As someone has already mentioned, the MPG (average & instantaneous with the "leaf graphic"), Distance to Empty, Average Speed and Elasped Time are displayed on the Nav screen. But to elaborate, the Nav screen will even display a bar graph showing MPG for the last ten or so fill-ups. Maintenace and low fluid/gas (ie washer fluid, gas etc) warnings also show up on the screen. A lot of the software is carry over from the Q45. If you are low on gas for example, you'll see a low fuel warning on the Nav screen and you will have an option to select from the closest gas stations as your destination.

[ 03-13-2002, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: sky ]

The_Chosen_One
03-13-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Thomass:
[QB]
Once my wife arrived he told us that he kept going to the phone because he was busy and he had just been promoted to Fleet/Internet sales manager. QB]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial[/img]How in the hell did he get that position? Maybe he was actually getting sent to be the internet web manager (if he has the knowledge to do that), because his knowledge of the product itself is lacking. This may be very bad. He might get on there and have it say that the G35 is being discontinued and "the 'new G20' V6 coupe is in, come take a test drive right now." I wonder about the future of that dealership.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-14-2002, 01:14 AM
Good that is has ambient temperature and compass.

My '97 GCherokee Laredo has mpg, miles til empty, 2 different digital clocks, and a maintenance display area showing you when doors are open and other possible problems. All of these things I find useful at times. I have gotten 18.5 mpg over 93,000 miles. I would like to know my overall gas mileage with any vehicle I drive.

I wish they would have added more of those things to the G35, since it is an entry-level "luxury" car.

[ 03-13-2002, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: kevinjhen ]

**DONOTDELETE**
03-14-2002, 01:18 AM
You can always reset the tripdometer every time you fill up the gad. Next time you go to a gas station, take the odometer reading and divide it by the volume of gas you filled up in gallons, and TaDa! You get your MPG reading. That's what I have been doing in by last car. images/icons/grin.gif It's not bad to test your mathmatic skills once awhile.

tomegun
03-14-2002, 05:45 AM
Sorry, I didn't take the picture of the car on dubs. But, trust me when I tell you that the wheel well handles them very nicely. In my opinion there are very few cars that look right with dubs on them. Mostly they should just be on SUVs. Add the G to the list of cars because it looks good!

**DONOTDELETE**
03-14-2002, 08:58 AM
One other thing my vehicle displays continuously besides the time is the date. Does the G35 display that too with the Navigation unit? Cool that the Navigation unit does all that. Still alot of money though to add that.

a3a12498_Richard
03-14-2002, 09:25 AM
My automobile education must be lacking. What are dubs?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thomass:
[QB]Sorry, I didn't take the picture of the car on dubs.

**DONOTDELETE**
03-14-2002, 09:28 AM
DUBS are 20 in rims or something else that cannot be said on this site

tomegun
03-14-2002, 09:43 AM
One other thing I forgot to mention. The salesman told me that they are getting 23 G35s and he said that the dealers in California will only be getting one until June or July. I'm not kidding. He said this more than once! I think he was just trying to get me on the hook. I told him I can wait and I don't have to buy a car at all right now. Unfortunately I will probably have to go to Phoenix or the LA area to buy one.