PDA

View Full Version : AC compressor crooked?

**DONOTDELETE**
07-24-2002, 04:03 PM
Well...I bought a belt for my AC today. I have an SR with the KA compressor. With the compressor bolted up with the top 2 bolts, it sits kinda crooked and thats why I think the belt came off. Are they supposed to sit crooked? Any ideas?

I'm sick of sweating nuts and losing belts.

Kris

Cicero
07-24-2002, 04:08 PM
I've got an sr compressor if you're interested.

97 S14
07-24-2002, 04:42 PM
The KA compressor doesn't bolt up correctly to the SR bracket. You either need a custom bracket, or a SR compressor and custom A/C lines.

MATT_BACK_VASS
07-25-2002, 01:05 AM
custom bracket time chris

angle iron steel is where its at

**DONOTDELETE**
07-25-2002, 01:57 AM
Ive got an SR compressor too
But I'd rather not use custom lines AND get my Freon recharged.

I coulda swore the DOHC compressor bolted up to the SR...I mean, it does...it's just a little crooked. I'll figure something out, it only needs to be facing down like not even half an inch...maybe I could just tighten the belt on there tighter, but I'm gonna put a zip tie around it so I don't lose the belt. $15 for a belt kinda sucks. I'll try a custom bracket too, if I get around to it. Summer is getting hotter and hotter.

abailey269
07-25-2002, 03:40 AM
The KA compressor does bolt up to the SR and you dont need custom lines. The reason it is crooked is because you used the wrong holes to screw the compressor on. You used the top two. Take the back bolt out and move it to the bottom front. Another way to put it: Use the front two bolts to hold the compressor on, the ones closest to the front of the engine. Then your compressor will not be crooked and eat up belts.

Good luck.

-Aubrey

**DONOTDELETE**
07-25-2002, 04:17 AM
AWESOME.

Thank you SO MUCH!!

I was thinking that but kinda ruled it out...definately gonna have to switch it tomorrow.

Thanks!

Kris

NY S13 SR
07-25-2002, 11:16 AM
Also you can use some washers to space the bolts out a little to make it line up perfectly. Sometimes you need to do this, sometimes you don't.

primeral
07-25-2002, 07:20 PM
...and sometimes you get lucky and get an SR compressor bracket that mates perfectly to the KA A/C compressor using all four bolts.

My dilemma is, even though all four bolts going thru the KA's compressor bolt up perfectly onto the supplied SR compressor bracket, the KA's pulley isn't in perfect alignment with the SR crank pulley. It is one tooth off. So maybe I should just get a narrower belt?

On a side note, these brackets are heavy as hell. I wish someone with access to a CNC could produce a set of aluminum brackets and anodize them (GReddy Blue, please). And for the sake of SR-swappers, custom make the appropriate bracket so hassles with the KA compressor will be a thing of the past.

turbobunny
07-26-2002, 12:49 AM
Well, we were hoping we could bolt up the KA Compressor to the SR, but it doesn't look like ANY bolts line up for us.....96 S13 Blacktop/92 KA24DE...Take a look at the pic...notice how the front SR bolts (Top) are at an angle from each other while the KA's bolts are lined up one on top of the other.

http://members.aol.com/novakiller/images/compressors.jpg

Any ideas?

If the SR Compressor is our only bet, I'm just wondering if it will take the same wiring as the KA...in other words can I plug the same wire into the SR compressor that I would have plugged into the KA compressor?

Thanks!

phase2
07-26-2002, 04:05 AM
Yes, you use the same wire. S13/S14 SR a/c compressor will take the same signal wire as the KA compressor, we were able to make both work now, don't ask me how cuz my wiring guy does all the wiring. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif