PDA

View Full Version : S15 six-speed NEED HELP

**DONOTDELETE**
07-27-2002, 11:20 PM
I am the owner of a used 300z TT needing a new manual tranny, I also own 2 97 240 and I want to put the S15 6speed in the Z. Is it possible and what all do I need to do. I ma looking for blot up and not too much custom fabrication work.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-27-2002, 11:38 PM
That will be far from bolt up. Not to mention the six speed is not quite as strong as the fives. Another consideration is gearing. Overall, I don't think that swap is a good idea.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-28-2002, 02:44 AM
ok, now here is the facts , and just just some ones conjecture "ala demon". you can take all the of the trannies apart and swap the bell housing, all ka and sr are swapable , and only certin vg trannies. the ka and sr have the same gearing in the s13 and s14 , but the s15 is different. from the facts that i have seen, the 500hp blitz s15 , the trannies are just as strong , from what i heard the only speculation about them is that they will not last as long since the 6 will require more frequent shifting, but there are no confirmed reports of them being weaker , just rumors , WHICH SHOULD STOP BEING SPREAD! I would verfy that the gears ratios are going to be good , but i would not go as far as to say it wont work , or that it would be bad idea. check it out , i would like to see how close the 2 really are!

**DONOTDELETE**
07-28-2002, 03:02 AM
okay so if the gearing was favorable what do i need to do to the S15 tranny to fit my VG just swap bell-housings? or will I need a rear end and axles and driveshaft?

07-28-2002, 04:31 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
ok, now here is the facts , and just just some ones conjecture "ala demon". you can take all the of the trannies apart and swap the bell housing, all ka and sr are swapable , and only certin vg trannies.

[/QUOTE]
A fact is something that is true, actual, real. It is not a fact that the S15 6sp tranny's bellhousing can be swapped with the KA tranny's bellhousing, or even the SR S13/S14 tranny's.

Hugh
07-28-2002, 07:35 AM
Well, the rumors of the 6 speed breaking started over here in japan, where I am still hearing them all the time. I tend to believe it when so many people agree on it.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-28-2002, 09:47 PM
okay guys thanks for your thoughts on the S15 6 speed but does anyone know what the procdure would be for installing one in my VG. ALso anyone recommend any other tranny for the VG turbo. I ask here becasue the Z fourm here is dead.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-28-2002, 10:00 PM
hey, here's a great idea!
why the hell don't you just get a new 300zx tranny!

**DONOTDELETE**
07-29-2002, 12:34 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
Poster: flatuuff
Subject: Re: S15 six-speed NEED HELP

hey, here's a great idea!
why the hell don't you just get a new 300zx tranny!

[/QUOTE]

Beacuse genious the 300z tranny isn't strong enough. This is my 2nd tranny and it won't hold 500hp+. BTW I do know how to drive have 3 other stick cars incl '97 SS.

AKADriver
07-29-2002, 08:49 AM
The S15 transmission is even weaker, so it's going to be no help to you.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-29-2002, 09:56 AM
you people are driving me crazy , some poeple just take rumors and run with them ! bet you think the rb was based off the ca too.ok, do you have nay expiernce with the s15 tranny ? how many have failed on you ? how can any one who has never touched this tranny speak about it ? i have a tooth ache , would you care to speculate how to fix that also ? because i bet you have as much experience a a dentist as you do with a 6 sp tranny ! every thing i READ in mags and such , which is in writing , and usualy has to be supported by some kind of fact , say that tranny is just as strong ! now everything i hear, which usualy comes from poeple like your self , whose cousins uncles sisters nephew had some one from japan tell him they were weak! i have seen several 500hp + s15's , still rocking the stock tranny .... even super street shot that down when they tested the blitz s 15 ! so really , if you dont know what you are talking about , from real experience , then really your input is not valid , or needed !

**DONOTDELETE**
07-29-2002, 07:51 PM
what in the world makes you think that a tranny from a car that came with 210 hp stock will be stronger than the tranny from a more powerfull stock 300zx?

And I am sure there are others out there, prolly many many, making the same power as you are... hmm... what tranny do they use?
-Doubt its a sr20det tranny.

I hope you find an easy solution to your problem.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-29-2002, 09:45 PM
Actually before you keep going off on people because you read magazines http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif , yes I have spent a good amount of time with an S15 tranny. It is not weak to the point of total failure. However, it is NOT as strong as the five speed. There have been problems with the output shafts and the clutch splines are much less beefy on the six speed than they are on the fives. I have heard of several cases involving stripped clutch splines on higher horsepower S15's. It's true that if you don't rag the hell out of the car you may not have a problem but the fact remains that it IS weaker. If you don't believe me open up a five speed and a six right next to each other and take a look, you can see the difference. So Mr. Super Street " <font color="brown[/img]if you don't know what you're talking about from real experiences </font color> " than quit jumping peoples case.

primeral
07-29-2002, 09:55 PM
I would look into the transmissions from the upcoming G35 manual and the 350Z manual. I'm speculating their bellhousing won't bolt to your VG30, but strength problems shouldn't be an issue.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-30-2002, 01:13 AM
ok bucko, your barking up the wrong tree for some one who just spit out commonsense like he invented it. of course the splines arent as beefy, there are more ,in pretty much the same space. but really i could see where you could get that super street assumption, but i was thinking about the swap, 5 speed to 6 speed, so i did some research ,and i spoke to yury , who has worked on both , eric nail , in texas , who was the first person i heard of in the us to have one at his disposal , i spoke with mark in cali , and some strange guy from the midwests whose name escapes me. all these poeple have had , worked on , or been around these trannies. so thats where my facts came from there sport ! btw , arent you the same jack a$$ who is supposed to building an awd s13 , in the same town as me , yet nobody has told me that they have seen it?

**DONOTDELETE**
07-30-2002, 08:14 AM
No I am not building an AWD S13 that no one has seen. I don't know who you heard that from though under the circumstances I can probably guess. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif You can talk to all the people that you want but it doesn't change the fact that there are problems. I never said that the transmission was crap, I said it wasn't quite as strong. The fact is that you are jumping peoples a$$ and acting pretty damn antisocial for no reason other than the fact that someone said that the five speeds are stronger is pretty sad. I told you exactly what I have seen and the exact problem that I have heard about first hand "from people it happened too". In return I get called a jack A$$ and I get "well I talked to ______ and they said ________". I don't know what stake you have in the six speed but the truth is that it is a great transmission "I happen to be a fan of Nissan trannies 'though there are some that would argue with that as well..... <font color="red[/img] Greg </font color> ... lol" However using that transmission in a 300Z "which is bound to take some fab work anyway" just because it is stronger is a false assumption.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-30-2002, 03:01 PM
ok, maybe your right , i was kinda harsh .but its a pretty well known fact that its just a rumor ! this is not a a place for rumors , its a place for fact, and too many people come here trying to spread rumor , as fact ! and i am getting pretty tired of it !

silver88si
07-30-2002, 04:03 PM
OK if your worried about durability get a TREMEC T5
its a ford trans that has been beefed up.
U can choose diff gears and its pretty much indestructible, unless your putting down 800hp to the wheels then you need a C4, powerglyde, turbo 400 etc. Why waste your time with a manual anyway. get a C4 for 1800 PA automatics will guarantee it up to 1200 hp and there is free rebuilds for life.

Mark slide squad
07-31-2002, 09:28 AM
OK lets get one thing straight. I haven't told SikSilvia anything of you (sileightydrift) doing an AWD project. So don't assume it was me that said anything pertaining to that subject. I haven't spoken to Charles for 3 years on the phone, and the last time I conversed with him was in a post from a few months ago. Typical for people to shoot and ask questions later. How amusing. If I wanted to say anything about you, I would say it right here myself. Charles can back me on this, that I have not said anything about you, because I have more important things to do and worry about, than to talk smack on FA about people.

Mark slide squad
07-31-2002, 09:45 AM
Nismoluv,
In response to your S15 tranny question, if you are looking for a stronger tranny than your Z32 TT, then S15 wouldn't be the best choice. I have friends in Japan that have first hand REAL experience of them grenading the trannies. The fact is, that the tranny can not handle huge "jolts" for instance, a drag launch with slicks over and over (5spds are bad enough for breaking the input or output shafts for this) and also serious drifting puts a big strain on them. The torque is what kills the transmission. If the car is to be used for street driving, wangan, some circuit, and you treat it kindly, and don't abuse it, it might be fine. But The fact is, with the shorter width gears in the tranny, to make it all fit, and many things scaled down to make fit, ads up to an over all weaker tranny. If you want a trans that will hold up to the TORQUE that your motor puts out, then you should think about the RB25DET transmission. Torque kills trannies, not HP. RB25 is a stronger tranny, in comparison to S15 6 getrag 6 speed. Not totally sure about this, but there is a chance that the internals from the RB25 trans could be used in your Z32 trans. I know in Japan they make bellhousing adapters, but you would be hard pressed getting one here, unless you have a good connection in Japan. There is always the option of getting a custom fab bellhousing, or making an existing Z32 bellhousing fit the RB25DET trans. Also a good point was made here, that the mustang boxes are VERY strong. You could use a borg warner W.C. (world class from 93 mustang cobra) T-5, and have a bellhousing made to fit, and this trans will hold pretty much anything you can throw at it. In my old Saleen supercharged mustang, it was supporting 450ft lbs of torque, and it never gave me one problem. My fathers mustang cobra puts 485hp, 540 ft lbs to the wheels, and also no troubles at all. If you really want a six speed, Tremec makes trannies for late model (fox body and SN95) mustangs, and the Tremec T-56 6 speed is a popular upgrade for these cars, and are one of the strongest manual trans I have ever come across. Again, a custom bellhousing or Z32 bellhousing can be modified to fit this. These are just a few options you have. I hope this sheds some light on the subject. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif

**DONOTDELETE**
07-31-2002, 10:04 AM
ok, i guess i missed something .... but,when did i say that mark told me about your fairy tale ? your the one who was running his own mouth about how you are building an awd rb26 s13. i only remember beacuse you i know you cant do it , and you insist you can ! you tried to show me a pic of an rb in a rhd car as you proof .... once again , you sir are a JACK A$$

**DONOTDELETE**
07-31-2002, 11:28 AM
I never came straight out and accused you of telling him anything Mark, because quite frankly I wasn't sure. I would not make a direct accusation without knowing for sure, and I have learned that Sik is not to good at telling the truth. For instance he said that he talked to you about the trannie being just as strong and yet here you are telling him the same thing I was. Now THAT is amusing. As far as the RB26 goes "and as much as I'm tired of going through this with you sik " It IS possible. It is expensive, it is a pain in the a$$, and using an AWD trannie would make it even more so. That is why you use the RB25 trannie http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif . The very fact that you say something isn't possible shows how unknowledgeable you are. Anything is possible with enough money and time. BTW there are several RB26DET powered S13's running in the world, so your argument of it being impossible is already debunked.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-31-2002, 01:15 PM
Poster: sileightydrift
Subject: Re: S15 six-speed NEED HELP

I never came straight out and accused you of telling him anything Mark, because quite frankly I wasn't sure. I would not make a direct accusation without knowing for sure, and I have learned that Sik is not to good at telling the truth. For instance he said that he talked to you about the trannie being just as strong and yet here you are telling him the same thing I was. Now THAT is amusing. As far as the RB26 goes "and as much as I'm tired of going through this with you sik " It IS possible. It is expensive, it is a pain in the a$$, and using an AWD trannie would make it even more so. That is why you use the RB25 trannie . The very fact that you say something isn't possible shows how unknowledgeable you are. Anything is possible with enough money and time. BTW there are several RB26DET powered S13's running in the world, so your argument of it being impossible is already debunked.

look dude , just shut up, because you are idiot ! is there only one marc in cali ?you are a moron ,point blank ! the majority of the sr's done itn the central fl area over the past 4 years have been done by me and my friend kevin, we did the first one on the whole east coast , over 4years ago , and the fact that you dare call me unknowledgeable , is just crazy.i bought my first 240 in 92 , over 10 yrs ago kid .let me guess you just sold your honda ,right? how many motor swaps have you done ?how many of those were in a 240 ? no [censored] anything is possible with the right money , are you dumb enough to spend the money to make it possible ? if so , you are dumber than you make your self sound. if you are going to do that why not just tube the chassis , get a fiberglass body and go all out, i mean you have all the money , right rocafeller ?look kid , dont get into with me , i have a list of acomplishments way longer than that pencil [censored] of yours. i was building these cars before you were old enough to drive! do you want a hero cookie because some one told you that the 26 tranny wont fit ? its stupid poeple like you that make me not even want to post here any more! just because some thing is possible , doesnt mean YOU are going to do it ! if you are going to do it , great , do it and shut me up, but until then , shut you fucing trap ! do you have the motor yet ? do you even drive a 240?if so what does it run , or does it run at all ? i own one , its silver , and it has an sr that i installed , and it runs consistant 13.5s, in stock trim , and i ll be at the track sat. you cant miss me ,just look for the car with the crowd around it , perhaps you would care to discuss this more face to face ? or maybe you could bring your car , which should be areflection of what you know how to do , and we can race ? i got $5 that says he doesn't even reply to this !, oh and if you dont know , you better ask some body !

**DONOTDELETE**
07-31-2002, 03:34 PM
.You keep calling me "kid" but you are speaking with the maturity of a 10 year old. Anyone that reads either this post or the other one can see that you are clearly out of line and need to have some anger management classes. You have degraded this thread a pointless and childish conversation "again" and I will not continue it any farther.

**DONOTDELETE**
07-31-2002, 03:47 PM
nice job of side stepping , but first you call me a liar, then you say that i dont know what i am talking about ! and i am supposed to be cool that ?? cmon now , you pick a fight , then dodge any real question i ask , and then say that you have nothing else to say ? thats real easy to say when you know you are wrong !!

Mav1178
07-31-2002, 05:47 PM
I will only ask this once:

Stop using personal attacks against each other. Do it again, and we'll lock this thread.

Do it repeatedly, we'll ban.

-alex

MATT_BACK_VASS
08-01-2002, 03:14 AM
here is my little tidbit of information on transmissions

i believe there to only really be two main breeds of nissan transmisisons

FS5W71C and FS5R30A
silbeer fairready z32 / nissan truck
i have destroyed both of them
ok i have destroyed three W71C's and one R30A.
Both transmissions are very strong if taken care of.
here are main problems taht happen.
1) shift forks break in w71c and r30a ( made of weak metal, for W71c you must replace with L28 shift forks and you have to bore out a hole from 17mm to 19mm, i havent donet his mod myself yet, but will be doing it soon) for r30a i dont know yet.

2) countershaft bearings grenade. these can be replaced with abec 5 bearings from a local bearing shop. i will once again be providing more info when i fully rebuild it.

3) synchro lock in tabs are what break causing stuck in gear and loss of gearand all hell breaking loose. these synchros must be replaced they are the weak point of the tranny but mine last about 4 months of being raced twice a week with 400+ TORQUE to the rear wheels
can be fixed

4) R30A's have this hellish problem of 2nd gear grinds and problems, whereas W71Cs have problems with 3rd gear grinds.. take your pick on which youd rather mis shift

5) i believ the sil beer s15 six speed is something totally different.

6) you can swap any w71c bellhousing to its back half with the right parts combinations. i am not sure about R30A's because i dont have enough expereicne with them. hopefully soon though.

7) w71c silbeer transmission out shifts r30a any day of the week.

does anyone know if RB25 trany is W71C or R30A?
I know with VGs you can use either a R30A or a W71C.

MATT_BACK_VASS
08-01-2002, 03:16 AM
nismoluv

get any z32 tranny turbo or non they are the same

how much will you sell your broken R30A for?
do all the gears work?