PDA

View Full Version : projector lights

Zorphic
07-30-2002, 11:54 AM
does anyone have any idea as to where i can find projector lights for a 98 240sx? thanks

Ambush_Paddington
07-30-2002, 11:58 AM
you can buy an HID kit...eastcoast motorsports is selling them for like $450...they are niiiice looking : )

Zorphic
07-30-2002, 11:59 AM
wheres eastcoast motorsports located at?

Zorphic
07-30-2002, 12:08 PM
Oh and i have another question. Whats the difference between H.I.Ds and projector lights?

Ambush_Paddington
07-30-2002, 12:18 PM
ECM is in NY..i believe dustin got a webpage up now, if you want to check it out...(were on long island)....Someone else could explain the HID thing better than me, or call him and he'll explain...High Intensity Discharge ( i believe you already have projection lights on the 98's, no?)>

Sandmann
07-30-2002, 12:58 PM
From what I am aware of projectors are the "glass ball" that is located on the kouki lights s14a which is the 97-98 240sx. Now HID is the blueish tint like the BMW's, people sometimes just put the drop in bulbs to seems like it's HID but HID has it's own distinct look. (Correct me if I am wrong)

Ambush_Paddington
07-30-2002, 12:59 PM
they are a higher discharge, brighter, clearer light.

jmcn
07-30-2002, 01:09 PM
The '98 240SX already has projectors...

Ambush_Paddington
07-30-2002, 01:27 PM
so add a HID set and your set to go.

Zorphic
07-30-2002, 02:51 PM
im not worried as to how it makes my car look...the visibility is what im worried about :-)

Ambush_Paddington
07-30-2002, 03:03 PM
HID should give you the best visibility you could get.

**DONOTDELETE**
08-08-2002, 08:55 PM
I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead a little, but it's something I actually know a little bit about, and no one else answered the question...

HID is actually a completely different type of light than Halogen. HID creates light throughout the entire spectrum of light (hence the distinctive color) and in a much higher temp range, 4500 - 6000 compared to about 3000 for Halogens.

HID conversion kits are something to be a little wary of. Headlamp enclosures are designed with the shape of the bulb and filament in mind, and since HID uses a *typically* vertical arc of light that is much different from the glowing filament of a Halogen, the beam pattern is usually very screwed up and hard to aim. Some cars respond better than others. Look for an HID that replaces everything, including the housing.

Don't know much about projectors, except that as far I know, projectors are designed to throw as much light onto the road as possible, where convential lights disperse the light more, so that oncoming cars can see you better, (projectors tend to look dimmer than usual, due to less scattering).

That's all I know, hope it helps.

Jsquared
08-08-2002, 11:10 PM
^^ just to clarify a bit, most Halogen and Xenon bulbs are just normal bulbs (wire filament that glows when current passed through it), but with all-Halogen or all-Xenon (one of the 8 halogens) inside the bulb... HIDs have no filament at all. the light is created by an electrical arc across a cathode and anode (like a constantly-on BRIGHT spark plug http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif). you also need ballasts and stuff that you won't see on the outside, and fitting them into a (usually smaller) normal light space can be tricky...