PDA

View Full Version : it could be worse...dead SR

Black2Forty
08-01-2002, 02:20 PM
alright so heres how it is...my SR has knocked since i got it, from the first time i got it started, before i put it in i pulled the oil pan off it, banged out the dents, fixed the pickup and put it back on...when i had the pan off there was quite a bit of metal shavings, they looked like copper, i thought maybe the remains of a copper crush washer or something, i didnt really have an option i had 2 just get it put in, so i did. back to the knocking, i had it running the other day and the knocking got alot worse, and i thought i heard a metallic scraping as well. i limp it back home and pull the pan, theres more metal in there, but its shiny. i know it was oiling, there was an oil pressure gague in there and it was spittin out oil untill i plugged it, and the pan always had oil.
so the question is... where do i go for parts to rebuild this thing?
i think i saw a post that the bearings are the same for SR20DE as the DET, is that true
what about all the gaskets etc?
I've never gotten into something like this before and i was hoping to have the time 2 save up and rebuild it with better stuff, but i know i have 2 take this thing apart so does anyone know where i should start?

phase2
08-01-2002, 02:54 PM
Probably rod bearing failure, very common on the DET's. Anyhow you will need to buy an engine gasket kit to make things easier for your rebuild, as well as new water pump and front cover oil pump. Rest of the things can be sourced from Nissan dealers, such as DE pistons, rods and bearings.

Hence normally we carry the master gasket kit, water pump and oil pumps.

Jeff Taylor
08-01-2002, 04:04 PM
Yeah, it could be a lot worse... I spun a bearing at the track the other night, but decided to try to baby it back home. I made it no further than 5 miles before I threw a rod, and cracked the block. The connecting rod broke off at both ends and wedged itself underneith the crankshaft. I was stranded 90 miles from home and had to get it towed all the way back.

Lesson learned: Always pay attention to your boost. I was accidently running 18psi on a T3/T04E with only 370cc injectors.

jeremiah
08-01-2002, 05:48 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small[/img]In reply to:</font><hr />
Rest of the things can be sourced from Nissan dealers, such as DE
pistons, rods and bearings.

[/QUOTE]

ummm...is it me or does the normal de piston have a compression ratio thats a bit high?

but anyway, ill help you rebuild it. Wanna see that thing going finally....

phase2
08-01-2002, 05:51 PM
Jeremy, yes DE piston is higher compression. Hence you can order aftermarket pistons based on DE spec with special lower 8.5:1 compression.

08-01-2002, 06:31 PM
You can get OEM GTi-R SR20DET pistons from Nissan Motorsports. Or you can go for an 87mm bore and use 300ZXTT pistons too (but you have to narrow the small end of the rod by 0.020", or 0.010" on each side to fit the pistons).

Asad

**DONOTDELETE**
08-01-2002, 06:54 PM
with all the alternatives he has now....you guys make it sound like its better to mess up the engine like that...

Black2Forty
08-01-2002, 07:33 PM
nah its definitly NOT better, as i was really trying to aviod getting into this kind of stuff untill i was ready to do it right, now i have 2 dump money into it and go half a$$ed (compared to how i would like to do it) because i cant afford the cool stuff.

phase2
08-01-2002, 10:57 PM
I should note the DE pistons won't require tampering with modifying the rods. However JWT fans always goes with the Z way.