PDA

View Full Version : Sr20 tranny vs ka24e... 20 won't fit????

Canada_s14a
08-02-2002, 08:41 AM
Ok, we are doing the swap at the shop right now. Old POS s13 getting the s13 engine. Thepressure plate was garbage, so we got a new one, the engine was already in... not no matter what we do we cant get the tranny to go in from the back... next step is to drop the front tables to get another inch... it can't be possible you have to have the engine OUT of the car and put them both in together, that's retarded... what if you are just changing the clutch? And just so you know we already have the engine tilted all the way back against the firewall, there is no room there either... whats the deal? why doesn't it fit? I know the bellhousing is a little bigger, but still... and is the area for the tranny bigger on dohc engined cars or just the s14's or are they all the same?

Hollywood
08-02-2002, 09:12 AM
I have never worked with an s13, but I think your the first person with tranni fitment issues on a swap. It's not that big of a deal to bolt the tranni to the engine and drop it in...personally.

Canada_s14a
08-02-2002, 10:34 AM
Honestly, I understand it's not hard to do. But it is a customer car, and the mounts are total [censored]. We put the engine in first, cause we were waiting for a new pressure plate... you can't tell me everytime that you have to change a clutch that you gotta pull it all apart?

jeremiah
08-02-2002, 11:07 AM
I swapped tranny's last weekend. Ive put in two trans now with the engine in. You have to point the bellhousing so that the starter section of the trans is pointing straight down towards the ground. then to get it in we had to torque the engine back with a big pry bar. The starter hole has to be in the right spot or it will not clear. Once you get it in you can spin the trans around on the shaft. good luck.

Canada_s14a
08-02-2002, 01:30 PM
Thanks. I will try that. Hopefully that works... my friends may have already dropped the subframe though... http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/smirk.gif

RDM_II
08-02-2002, 08:14 PM
I've done this a dozen times, on jackstands, with no assistance. Unbolt the downpipe and pull down on it so the motor tilts backwards, then slide the transmission right in. Takes a few seconds to line up the input shaft but otherwise it's easy.