PDA

View Full Version : best headers and cat back exhaust w/no torque loss

MarkEmark
08-09-2002, 12:24 AM
First let me say hello to you all, and this is my first post. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif
Alright, I've been searching the posts for a while now looking for info about the best exhaust/header combo for a NA KA24DE, and haven't found any solid info. Is the Apexi N1 dual a good idea for an NA car? What size is the exhaust tubing on it? The reason the N1 dual appeals to me is because supposedly it increases midrange and top end power. What about just the N1? That only increases top end, right? I heard a 5zigen fireball is a great exhaust, but I also heard that it is 3", and that is too large for a NA engine. And, about headers. I was thinking hotshot, but read some reviews on them and almost every person said they are a pain in the [censored] to install because stuff doesn't line up. What are some other good ideas for headers? I'm interested in increasing horsepower of course, but not at the cost of torque (a little loss is okay and expected). I really need some opinions/experience with this, as I can't find any good sights for reviews. Also, which of these sound the best? i've heard both the apexi and the zigen have a nice low rumble...are there any other good sounding exhausts out there that increase horsepower but don't sacrifice torque? Basically, i just want to know some other good manufacturers and what their pros/cons are. any help is great
Marc

Mav1178
08-09-2002, 12:34 AM
Think of it this way:

Header:
Only decent choice is Hotshot. Greddy available for S14, but short 4-1 design.

Exhaust:
Of course a 3" exhaust will make you lose some low-end power... so go with an exhaust that is 60mm in piping diameter. FYI the Fireball has 2 versions, a NA version and a T/C version.

-alex

MaxType 240
08-09-2002, 08:57 AM
The Hotshot headers have been recently revised (in terms of mfr process & larger primaries IIRC). As a result, past installation problems will be just that - the past.
I have a set being made for my S14 right now & it will be mated to a high-flo cat & my N1 Dual. I'll report the installation process & impressions ASAP.
This setup will also increase the pitch & sound level of the exhaust so that's something to consider.

All the cons of the GReddy set you read in the archives still apply while Hotshot has revised its header at least 3 times.
I should see some improvement in acceleration w/ the header paired with my lightened flywheel & pulley.

jimc-s13
08-09-2002, 09:50 PM
Is the S&S header actually still sold anywhere? Mine seems to do pretty well. It is a long 4-1 design, the guy I bought it from installed a first gen hotshot header and said he lost some midrange with the hotshot over the S&S.

Jim

eastern240silvia
08-14-2002, 06:53 AM
i got a pacsetter combo/( header & catback exhaust) monza system from summit. for around $270. a piece. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/cool.gif tubing is 2.5 inches in diameter all the way. I'm ordering a ramdom technologies cataylitic converter to replace the restrictive stocker... should have some decent gains, also an alternative to the big names like apexi and hotshot. http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif keep ya posted when i get my motor running again, oh yeah also mine is a sohc but there are parts for dohc as well.